The Student Room Group

Why is airport security racist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aceadria
They should be checking everyone, regardless of gender or race. But they have limited resources and should therefore spend more time with people who fit the profile of a target.

There are plenty of white drug mules ffs, in fact many white ppl are targetted specifically because they can get past security without risk of getting checked. Those smugglers often use white ppl because of the incompetence of security
Original post by A$aprocky
There are plenty of white drug mules ffs, in fact many white ppl are targetted specifically because they can get past security without risk of getting checked. Those smugglers often use white ppl because of the incompetence of security

You may want to re-read the post. I stated that resources should be spent on individuals who fit the profile; be that of any race, gender, sex, etc...
Original post by flugelr
They are poorly-trained, poorly-educated people on near-minimum wage who are told to look out for "indicators" that someone might be a terrorist.

90% of the terrorist threat comes from Muslims, most Muslims are non-white.

Thing is, airport security is almost entirely for show, so no airport is going to bother to spend lots of money training people properly, they just contract it out to G4S and other such companies.

Bit off topic but anyone working in an airport gets twice the minimum wage

Posted from TSR Mobile
You may want to re-read the post. I stated that resources should be spent on individuals who fit the profile; be that of any race, gender, sex, etc...

Yes and based on OP, you assumed that the reason why security dont check whites as much is because they dont fit the profile. That is the only assumption that can be drawn from your statement is that whites dont fit the profile. If that is not what you meant then your post is completely irrelevant.
Original post by samzy21
If a white person is acting strangely to them, they won't bat an eyelid but if an Asian or black person is acting strangely then they will be questioned and searched for drugs, weapons etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got any evidence to back it yp that if a white person is doing something suspicious they do nothing or did you just make it up?

Its a fact that the terrorists they are worried about tend to have things in common, which means coming from high risk countries and are predominantly from certain ethniciies. Why is that a difficult thing to accept?

Id prefer airport security to be safe for the benefit of everyone.
Yes and based on OP, you assumed that the reason why security dont check whites as much is because they dont fit the profile.

Hardly. My intention was to show that due to limited resources, the security officials have to select people who fit their target profile. It's a simple matter of cost/benefit analysis. How you managed to conclude that I was suggesting a race issue is quite ludicrous.

That is the only assumption that can be drawn from your statement is that whites dont fit the profile. If that is not what you meant then your post is completely irrelevant.

Not at all. The issue simply isn't about 'white vs. brown' or 'white vs. black', for example. It's a matter of economic factors such as limited financial resources and trained staff who are able to check passengers before they board the flight. Race, although a key factor, is not the only factor involved here. The OP was insinuating that airport security staff are manned by racists who are only out to check 'brown' people and to let the 'white' people pass. We don't live in apartheid South Africa and both yourself and him are assuming the situation is straightforward (which it clearly isn't).
Hardly. My intention was to show that due to limited resources, the security officials have to select people who fit their target profile.. It's a simple matter of cost/benefit analysis. How you managed to conclude that I was suggesting a race issue is quite ludicrous.

Not at all. The issue simply isn't about 'white vs. brown' or 'white vs. black', for example. It's a matter of economic factors such as limited financial resources and trained staff who are able to check passengers before they board the flight. Race, although a key factor, is not the only factor involved here. The OP was insinuating that airport security staff are manned by racists who are only out to check 'brown' people and to let the 'white' people pass. We don't live in apartheid South Africa and both yourself and him are assuming the situation is straightforward (which it clearly isn't).

Well if that is what you say that what exactly is the reason for the racist nature of airport security? Surely it is because the apparent 'target profile' is not white? The only two other factors that I can think of is age and gender, both of which aren't as much of a contributing factor as race is.
Well if that is what you say that what exactly is the reason for the racist nature of airport security?

Firstly, what evidence do you have to suggest that racism is embedded in airport security? By definition, racism assumes superiority of one race over another.

Surely it is because the apparent 'target profile' is not white? The only two other factors that I can think of is age and gender, both of which aren't as much of a contributing factor as race is.

And how do you know that the target profile is not white?

There's far too many assumptions being made and very little evidence to back the ludicrous statements.
Firstly, what evidence do you have to suggest that racism is embedded in airport security? By definition, racism assumes superiority of one race over another.

And how do you know that the target profile is not white?

There's far too many assumptions being made and very little evidence to back the ludicrous statements.

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Airport-security-questions-and-discrimination-416718

https://electronicintifada.net/content/suspected-citizens-racial-profiling-against-arab-passengers-israeli-airports-and-airlines

Literally took me 2 seconds to find. And just looking at the news will show the number of muslims that were denied to board a plane will show that brown people are racially targeted.

Yes, they would check white people to but it is evident that you are far more likely to be checked if you weren't white.
Maybe there is racism embedded in airport security, but everyone seems to have a bee in their bonnet about something. Whether its racism, sexism, religion, political views, job.

Paul514 seems pretty spot on with this one, but what happens if you get searched by a black/asian man at security? Is he given you extra checks? Is he giving white people extra checks instead?

Think youll find people are more concerned about being blown up.
Well if that is what you say that what exactly is the reason for the racist nature of airport security? Surely it is because the apparent 'target profile' is not white? The only two other factors that I can think of is age and gender, both of which aren't as much of a contributing factor as race is.

Is that target profile legitimate? What country are they from? What are their answer to questions? Do they fit the profile of previous terrorists?

Imo its entirely justifiable and sensible to double check people who fit that profile.
I am white British. I was singled our randomly and given a thorough patdown and search going through UK security. Seemed odd to me but i assume its like a spot check. If I was Asian the only narrative you would come too is that you have been profiled by racist security. My experience shows thats not the case
It isn't.

Next.
http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Airport-security-questions-and-discrimination-416718

https://electronicintifada.net/content/suspected-citizens-racial-profiling-against-arab-passengers-israeli-airports-and-airlines

Literally took me 2 seconds to find. And just looking at the news will show the number of muslims that were denied to board a plane will show that brown people are racially targeted.

Yes, they would check white people to but it is evident that you are far more likely to be checked if you weren't white.

JPost

At the Zracna Luka Rijeka airport in Croatia before my return flight to Israel on an Israeli airline, as always, once the Israeli security saw our passports (and saw that weird combination of an Arab and a Jew traveling together, god forbid), the smile faded from their faces and the suspicious questions began.

Electronic Intifada

The Arab Association for Human Rights (HRA) and the Center Against Racism (hereinafter “the investigating organizations”) have accumulated numerous complaints submitted by Arab citizens relating to discriminatory security inspections they have undergone at the hands of security personnel, despite the fact that they did not pose the slightest security risk to the other passengers.

Anecdotal evidence does not necessarily constitute fact. If you are unable to show that airport security, as a whole, is institutionally discriminative, your point is moot. I have granted before and I will do so again: individual may discriminate but there is no across the board policy to do so.

Additionally, your assumptions are that Muslims are from a certain race. This, in itself, is incorrect as there is no correlation between race and Islam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending