The Student Room Group

World Twenty20 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Enginerd.
Quite depressing tbh, the state of Pakistani Cricket. I actually feel sorry for Afridi, he tried his best with a team who didn't listen/weren't good enough. Don't really know what to expect of them in the future, how they perform against England during the summer will be key in their future. Misbah and Younis in the summer though which can only be a good thing.

Edit: Amir against England in these conditions though. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the Test team is the best aspect of Pakistan cricket atm and the England series most likely could be the last we see of Misbah and Younis so that'll be another loss and I fear cracks in team unity will appear similiar to when Imran retired in '92 and a power struggle began with the players left behind. England should thrash Pakistan in the ODI/T20s in the summer with the Tests being more closely contested but ultimately, England winning.
Reply 601
It's refreshing for England to go into tomorrow's match knowing it's win-or-bust. It is the same scenario as against SA. SA had posted such a competitive and fearsome total, but England had to go for broke and it paid off.
Original post by Mackay
Rossouw got out to a real ugly strike, and if ABDV can't rise to the occasion on days like this, you have to wonder whether he deserves that title of best white-ball batsman in the world.

Virat Kohli > ABDV in limited overs cricket, would you say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks like it will be WI vs India (hopefully)/Australia and New Zealand vs England (most likely)/SA (if England mess up massively today).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 604
Original post by moment of truth
Virat Kohli > ABDV in limited overs cricket, would you say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not only would I say that, but I'd also place Root higher.

Kohli is undoubtedly the finest batsman in limited overs cricket right now. I'm a massive ABDV fan, but he doesn't provide the same assurances of a Kohli, Root, or even Smith. These players fill you with confidence when they arrive at the crease, they push their teams further, they rid negativity and breathe serenity into an innings.

ABDV doesn't step up to the mark enough when it matters. He's quite Windies-ish, in a way. Too much bark.
Reply 605
No surprises with NZ resting Guptill, in favour of Nicholls. With their place already assured, there's no harm in experimenting and trying new things.

I'm really surprised Southee/Boult have got ANOTHER day off, though. Will we see them at all in this tournament?

It looks a dry surface, so no surprise to see Nathan McCullum come in for Milne either.

I expect Sodhi and Santnet to cause problems for Bangladesh in the second innings. Their partnership has earned NZ 13 wickets at an economy rate of 5.29 in three matches. Their team-mates at domestic level, too, which I only just realised.
Original post by Mackay
Not only would I say that, but I'd also place Root higher.

Kohli is undoubtedly the finest batsman in limited overs cricket right now. I'm a massive ABDV fan, but he doesn't provide the same assurances of a Kohli, Root, or even Smith. These players fill you with confidence when they arrive at the crease, they push their teams further, they rid negativity and breathe serenity into an innings.

ABDV doesn't step up to the mark enough when it matters. He's quite Windies-ish, in a way. Too much bark.

Can't say I disagree with this. Kohli steps up time and time again when India need him the most. His average in chasing is phenomenal.

I would also put Kane Williamson up there too. We are just waiting for an innings from him in this tournament, but he has been really good in limited overs cricket in recent times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 607
Original post by moment of truth
Can't say I disagree with this. Kohli steps up time and time again when India need him the most. His average in chasing is phenomenal.

I would also put Kane Williamson up there too. We are just waiting for an innings from him in this tournament, but he has been really good in limited overs cricket in recent times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really good piece on Cricinfo last week comparing Kohli with Tendulkar. I'm a massive fan of both, but I agreed with the sentiment. The writer suggested Kohli was greater than Tendulkar, or at least had the potential to be. This is because with Tendulkar, he gave you hope when he came to the crease. Kohli, though, gives you certainty.
Mustafizur gets a 5 wicket haul.

4 overs, 22 runs, 5 wickets.

He was a big miss at the start of the tournament. If he and Taskin had been able to play all 4 of the Super 10 group games I think we could have progressed.

146 to win this match. Won't be easy on this pitch.

Mortaza rumoured to be retiring after this game from T20s which will be good. Great captain but can't offer anything else at the moment. Need to get him into the coaching team as soon as possible imo.
Original post by Mackay
Really good piece on Cricinfo last week comparing Kohli with Tendulkar. I'm a massive fan of both, but I agreed with the sentiment. The writer suggested Kohli was greater than Tendulkar, or at least had the potential to be. This is because with Tendulkar, he gave you hope when he came to the crease. Kohli, though, gives you certainty.

Saw that piece, but haven't read it yet. Kohli, definitely, has the ability to have as big an impact on Indian cricket as Sachin did. Whether he will, remains to be seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 610
SL would definitely be wise to deploy spinners today and cause England problems that way. Senanayake has a good record against England, and Herath and Vandersay have performed well in the World T20 thus far.

Sure, England managed to overcome Badree and then Tahir, but they struggled against Rashid Khan and Afghanistan and misread the pitch. Today's pitch is going to be a turner, by all accounts.

Hales is back fit, reportedly, so he may replace Vince. I'd expect Dawson will remain in the dugout with Plunkett performing so well against Afghanistan.
not looking forward to the india australia game - got me really nervous as so much rides on the match!

dhawan needs to play the innings of his life tomorrow or he should be dropped in place of utthapa (IPL form was incredible) or rahane
raina and yuvraj need to bat longer into the innings to allow for a final push from dhoni/pandya in say the last 2 - 3 overs
pandya needs to bowl better
Sharma needs to bat through the power play and at least up til the 8th over+

Getting really worked up about this as i feel australia are just gonna trample over india going by their progress in the previous match esp in the batting depo
(edited 8 years ago)
Great innings by Mathews. Not enough support from the rest of his team, though. Great death bowling from Stokes and Jordan, too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 613
What. A. Match.

I would say that it was typical England to make it hard for themselves, but typical England would have been losing the match in the final over.

Some terrific death bowling from Jordan and Stokes. The former is the best death bowler England have had in over five years in my view, and he came up trumps when England needed him. His figures - 4-28 - emphasise that. Stokes...well, what can you say? Awesome run out, awesome catch, awesome bowling. Root's catch, too, was magnificent.

It's easy to pan the spinners, in truth. Neither Moeen or Rashid showed their quality today - and Morgan is perhaps guilty of persisting with the pair of them for too long. Their four overs treated SL to 62 runs ffs. But, sometimes the spinners go for a ride. T20 is a harsh format - and there's no place to hide for spin bowlers usually.

Mathews deserved to be on the winning team today. An awesome innings which gave SL hope after they succumbed to 14-4 or whatever it was. He always seems to turn up against England. His average is 61, and that's his second 50-plus score in five innings against England.

England relied a lot on their awesome death bowling - but thank the lord for Buttler. He's a special player, and he managed to thrust us from 99-3 after 15 overs to a respectable total, helped by Morgan himself, who finally showed some worth.

Roll on NZ. Remember that no side has ever won the World T20 without being beaten, and also remember that England will be playing at a venue they've already played at twice. I'm not overly confident, but England have more than just a puncher's chance...
Reply 614
As for NZ overcoming Bangladesh...

They just keep on keeping on. 100% record, and that's very impressive, though worth remember as aforementioned that no side has ever won the competition with an unblemished winning streak.

As expected, the spinners were key for them today - especially Sodhi - but I wonder if they will be unable to rely on them against England. England have already seen off Badree and Tahir, as I've mentioned before on here, and the pitch isn't a spin paradise.

I thought NZ should have posted more after Williamson's good start, personally. It was hilarious to see Nichols strike him with a shot (don't do that to your captain on your debut!) and also the collision between the wickets.

Rahman was great for Bangladesh, in one of the few positives for them. Really impressive figures of 5-22. That said, their lowest ever total in T20s is something to worry about. Their batsmen played some awful shots today, but they can be forgiven for (mentally) being on the plane home already.

England have the edge on NZ in terms of travelling, as the Kiwis have already played at FOUR separate venues. I wonder if that'll have an effect come the semi-final.
Reply 615
So, can the Windies go through unscathed?

I hope Afghanistan go out with a bang rather than a whimper. They are such a feel-good cricketing story.

No surprises to see Gayle rested with qualification assured. The last thing WI need is his hamstring playing up once again. I am surprised to see Holder wasn't given a go, though, I must admit.
Original post by Mackay
So, can the Windies go through unscathed?

I hope Afghanistan go out with a bang rather than a whimper. They are such a feel-good cricketing story.

No surprises to see Gayle rested with qualification assured. The last thing WI need is his hamstring playing up once again. I am surprised to see Holder wasn't given a go, though, I must admit.

Would be excellent to see a win for Afghanistan. The one thing I have loved about this tournament so far is the fact thats its been so open in terms of who could win - granted New Zealand haven't really run into much difficulty, but even teams like Bangladesh and Afghanistan have proven they have the potential to win (thinking of Bangladesh vs India and when Afghanistan played South Africa here) and quite a few close games have occurred. West Indies coming out from under the odds and winning their group is a particularly good example of this.

As for this afternoon's match - well as an India supporter, its the big game for me. I do feel like that the match will swing Australia's way if India cannot sort out their batting woes - Dhawan needs to either be dropped for Rahane or improve form drastically. Would also much prefer India to be chasing - takes off the pressure of having to decide which is a suitable total to post, reduces unnecessary risk-taking.
Reply 617
Jason Roy and David Willey fined for reactions in England's win over SL.

A real shame to see Shenwari depart for only one run today. He has been solid throughout the tournament, and I wanted him to go out in style today. Really good piece on him here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-world-twenty20-2016/content/story/991105.html

As for Australia vs. India... I just can't wait. Both teams mirror each other in terms of results, having beaten Pakistan but fallen short against NZ.

Aside from results, there's little similar between the teams. India know their best side, Australia don't. India have Kohli, Australia don't. I imagine spin will be key - from Jadeja and Zampa respectively. It's easy to say Zampa is inexperienced, and he is, but he has also answered every question asked of him thus far.

The only selection issue for Australia is whether to continue with Coulter-Nile, who has flattered to deceive throughout the tournament, or draft in Hastings.

Finch needs to play again, allowing Watson to express himself down the order.
So excited and tense for the match today. Let's hope our batsman (I'm looking at you Rohit and Shikhar) perform to their potential today. Should be a cracker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
C'mon Australia!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest