The Student Room Group

Can you survive on a student loan without parent's help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Miss.O
They're the cheapest halls at Nottingham Trent Clifton campus 😳

Don't live in halls then. It's not compulsory. You could rent a room in a shared house for way less than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miss.O
Hi,

I'm starting uni in September and I'll be 24. I'm eligible for the maximum loan of £8,200 plus a grant from my uni of £1000.
My parents aren't in a position to send me loads of money every month and I haven't got much savings - I didn't have an ISA growing up to save for uni or anything like that.
Also, I'll be 24- a fully grown adult and I feel like I shouldn't be asking my parents to help me out financially all the time. I've been so used to working for my own wages since I left school.
So, my question is - has anyone else been in the same boat? How hard is it to live on about £20-50 a week? That's what I've worked out I'll have to myself once my rent has been paid.
Thanks!

Hey, I'll be at NTU in September too living in New Hall at the Clifton site. If it helps, my parents are struggling for money at the moment and so I'm relying entirely on my student loan and a part time job. However, family members and close friends/partners will completely understand if it gets to the point that you feel obliged to ask for a little help. It is university after all and it's bloody expensive, don't feel embarrassed about it, I'm sure they'll be understanding :smile: There is also financial help offered from the university if it becomes desperate.
I hope this helps!
Original post by LiquidGold
The whole point with getting the maximum loan is that you're parents arent mean to be able to help you out.
I got a part time job, worked full time in the holidays, didnt eat out a lot and walked to uni to cut down on transport costs (lived 40 mins away). Also im a vegetarian which makes meals a lot cheaper!

Just come across your post, I'm a veggie too but I find that vegetarian alternatives are so expensive! What is your secret? :s-smilie: I'm so worried I'm going to be living off just chips and pasta!
That's masses.
£20 might be a struggle, but anything above is easy.
Original post by PhoebeAWilson
Just come across your post, I'm a veggie too but I find that vegetarian alternatives are so expensive! What is your secret? :s-smilie: I'm so worried I'm going to be living off just chips and pasta!

Are you both aware of the charity award for vegetarians?

http://www.vegetariancharity.org.uk/apply-for-grant-may-may.html
Original post by Katty3
Don't live in halls then. It's not compulsory. You could rent a room in a shared house for way less than that

Nottingham has a lot of house shares available that would be less than that.
Even a 52 week lease would save you money if its £100pw inc bills
I get around 7k in student loans and 1k in bursary. My rent is 4k and my parents pay for my groceries. I have run out of money every term because I am an idiot depends on what type of social life you have really.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
£5400 is excessive for rent, unless you live in London?

My rent is £5200, I'm not in London either
Original post by Crystalz
I get around 7k in student loans and 1k in bursary. My rent is 4k and my parents pay for my groceries. I have run out of money every term because I am an idiot depends on what type of social life you have really.

This is basically me lol. I always run out
Original post by PhoebeAWilson

Hmm, well when i say it's cheaper I've been a vegetarian for years so not sure how much i actually save by not eating meat to be honest!

i buy in bulk - rice, pasta, beans, chickpeas that sort of thing, and i dont use meat 'substitutes' such as tofu which can be expensive. (I know lots of people like having substitutes but I'm not fussed).
I buy big packs of things like onions and potatoes, as these take ages to go off.
In terms of groceries... I do eat a lot of veg. I try and buy it from the market which is way cheaper (e.g. 8 peppers for a pound compared to 3 in the supermarket), but still i do probably spend a lot on peppers and things haha. Also if you can go to a market, buy fruit that is in season - strawberries for example are much cheaper in season (summer) than out of season.
Also i used to grow herbs on my balcony (but i moved and dont have one know unfortunately) which was pretty fun, and saved money (not that i buy a lot of herbs anyway tho).

Also, when you do go out to eat veggie meals are nearly always the cheapest!
(edited 8 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oo that's wonderful advice, thank you. I've been a veggie for years too so I've never had to buy meat but my mum likes to remind me how expensive it is to keep me haha!
To the OP, have you considered getting a bus passpass £15pw or so) and looking at the cheaper accom on the main campus.
Also the "houses" on Clifton seem to be cheaper if available.
Prices at £90pw plus £15pw even allowing for extra travel time might give you additional money per week
Reply 32
Original post by Colinj451
To the OP, have you considered getting a bus passpass £15pw or so) and looking at the cheaper accom on the main campus.
Also the "houses" on Clifton seem to be cheaper if available.
Prices at £90pw plus £15pw even allowing for extra travel time might give you additional money per week

An annual bus pass is £199 and it will definetly be beneficial, especially in second year when I'll have to travel from the town centre into Clifton campus. 😊
Original post by Colinj451
Are you both aware of the charity award for vegetarians?

http://www.vegetariancharity.org.uk/apply-for-grant-may-may.html

I'd never heard of them, thank you so much!
Original post by Miss.O
Hi,

I'm starting uni in September and I'll be 24. I'm eligible for the maximum loan of £8,200 plus a grant from my uni of £1000.
My parents aren't in a position to send me loads of money every month and I haven't got much savings - I didn't have an ISA growing up to save for uni or anything like that.
Also, I'll be 24- a fully grown adult and I feel like I shouldn't be asking my parents to help me out financially all the time. I've been so used to working for my own wages since I left school.
So, my question is - has anyone else been in the same boat? How hard is it to live on about £20-50 a week? That's what I've worked out I'll have to myself once my rent has been paid.
Thanks!

9200 is actually pretty damn good, you could easily survive on that.

I managed to work out a livable budget on like 3000 less, obviously it wouldn't be fun but with 9200 as long as you don't go wild, its very doable.
Original post by LiquidGold
The whole point with getting the maximum loan is that you're parents arent mean to be able to help you out.
I got a part time job, worked full time in the holidays, didnt eat out a lot and walked to uni to cut down on transport costs (lived 40 mins away). Also im a vegetarian which makes meals a lot cheaper!

fair play

Or virtually anywhere in the South East.
lmao you'll be fine with a loan like that

£5400 for a year of halls in London would probably be quite cheap tbh.

Original post by Katty3
Don't live in halls then. It's not compulsory. You could rent a room in a shared house for way less than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree with this.

To answer the op, it's doable. I get about £7500 a year, which I could get by on if I had to. But I think working part time is definitely helpful.
I have been living off £15 a week until recently, it's doable but remember to throw your dignity out the window when you stock up on irradiated Pot Noodles, GM Pasta and Radroach meat :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending