The Student Room Group

Can I still take A levels at 20 years old?

I really need to do A levels in English and French, I have no level 3 qualification and I don't want to do an access course.Is there any way I can do A levels ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kotarouchi
I really need to do A levels in English and French, I have no level 3 qualification and I don't want to do an access course.Is there any way I can do A levels ?

I had a friend who did a foundation programme when i was at Queen Mary came first overall but get this, he was 21.

So yeah why not?
Reply 2

You could self-teach if you can find an examination centre which will accept you for written/spoken exams. That might make getting an academic reference for uni, a bit awkward. Probably easier to find a local college of further education and enrol for teaching there. Taught A Levels take two years and an Access course is one year though. A Levels might mean finding living costs for longer.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
You could self-teach if you can find an examination centre which will accept you for written/spoken exams. That might make getting an academic reference for uni, a bit awkward. Probably easier to find a local college of further education and enrol for teaching there. Taught A Levels take two years and an Access course is one year though. A Levels might mean finding living costs for longer.

I still live with my parents , where can i find an examination centre or local college which will accept me in my area? I live in Worcester Park.

Original post by Zinann
I had a friend who did a foundation programme when i was at Queen Mary came first overall but get this, he was 21.

So yeah why not?

What is a foundation programme? I have the following GCSE's A* in French and B in English .
Reply 4
I still live with my parents , where can i find an examination centre or local college which will accept me in my area? I live in Worcester Park.

What is a foundation programme? I have the following GCSE's A* in French and B in English .

http://www.sefp.qmul.ac.uk/
Reply 5

What is this link for?:smile:
Reply 6

All colleges will have their course details online, so you can Google it.
Reply 7
What is this link for?:smile:

The foundation programme i took.

The one i'm talking about
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
All colleges will have their course details online, so you can Google it.

But the problem is that most colleges I have looked at, takes only age 16-19 for A levels. Do you think I should email/call each colleges, and book an appointment with them to negotiate?
Reply 9
Check with the college you'd like to enrol if; if you have no level 3 course currently you should be entitled to the fees covered (and I know the government has started introducing loans for 19+ year olds...i'm 99.99% sure) but check with the college.

You can absolutely do a levels; don't have to do a foundation course, it's just generally advised as it's deemed ''more suitable'' for ''mature'' students.
--
And yeah it will depend whether your college takes over 19 year olds, but I believe at least 2/3 in my ''local area'' accept people of all ages so it's not an impossibility.
Reply 10
Original post by Zinann
The foundation programme i took.

The one i'm talking about

Oh nice, unfortunately maths is not my cup of tea:frown:, I am Tamil and I suck at maths lol. I am only good at interpreting and languages.
Reply 11
Original post by Inexorably
Check with the college you'd like to enrol if; if you have no level 3 course currently you should be entitled to the fees covered (and I know the government has started introducing loans for 19+ year olds...i'm 99.99% sure) but check with the college.

You can absolutely do a levels; don't have to do a foundation course, it's just generally advised as it's deemed ''more suitable'' for ''mature'' students.
--
And yeah it will depend whether your college takes over 19 year olds, but I believe at least 2/3 in my ''local area'' accept people of all ages so it's not an impossibility.

Thank you so much for your reply, I was getting scared could you link me the links of the colleges in your local area that accepts 19+ for A levels please?
There is no age limit. Decide if you are going to teach yourself or you need to attend a college.
Thank you so much for your reply, I was getting scared could you link me the links of the colleges in your local area that accepts 19+ for A levels please?

Here's one of the colleges and the webpage they have on 19+ students:

http://www.newcollege.ac.uk/adult-courses
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
There is no age limit. Decide if you are going to teach yourself or you need to attend a college.

I would prefer to attend a college, because I self teached my maths and English GCSE's and it was very hard. I prefer to have a teacher ,that can help me and corrects my mistakes so I can improve.
Reply 15
Original post by Inexorably
Here's one of the colleges and the webpage they have on 19+ students:

http://www.newcollege.ac.uk/adult-courses

Thank you, I am also going to call/email each of the colleges in my local area once the holidays are finished. To check if they can take me.
Reply 16
But the problem is that most colleges I have looked at, takes only age 16-19 for A levels. Do you think I should email/call each colleges, and book an appointment with them to negotiate?

Stated age policies aren't negotiable. Generally, they will be dictated by how the college is funded.

Try googling "adult education" to find those which take older students. You may need to travel outside your immediate area.
I would prefer to attend a college, because I self teached my maths and English GCSE's and it was very hard. I prefer to have a teacher ,that can help me and corrects my mistakes so I can improve.

Just do a google search using A levels college [whatever subjects it is] [name of city/town] Ring them and see, but really you are still very young so doubt your age has any difference.
Reply 18
Original post by Klix88
Stated age policies aren't negotiable. Generally, they will be dictated by how the college is funded.

Try googling "adult education" to find those which take older students. You may need to travel outside your immediate area.

I don't mind travelling, I am Asian I will do anything to complete my education.
Original post by 999tigger
Just do a google search using A levels college [whatever subjects it is] [name of city/town] Ring them and see, but really you are still very young so doubt your age has any difference.

The govt fund FE colleges per person for 16-19 year olds. Being that 1 year older makes all the difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending