The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemting
I think his greatest legacy is that He did wonders for establishing "Islamic Science" and Islamised curriculum to be taught in schools and even unis.

Also he started to fund a lot of "Islamic Science" research! Some research papers that came out of Pakistan were great works of art!

Plus, his manly moustache puts everyone to shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok mate. Thanks for the contribution to the conversation.
Reply 2981
Original post by HAnwar
They do on TSR so it's cool.

Cool to you.

Cringeworthy to me.
Original post by IdeasForLife
Ok mate. Thanks for the contribution to the conversation.

Your welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RaptorStar
I would just like to remind everyone to try not to buy easter eggs during this time of the year

Wa'alaykum assalam

Why on earth not? I already did and gonna buy more for my little cousins and nephews this Sunday for an egg hunt. Going to be fun!

To all Christians and even non-Christians reading this, have a good holiday. :smile:
السلام عليكم

How is everyone

I would just like to remind everyone to try not to buy easter eggs during this time of the year

و عليكم السلام
Great first post:rolleyes:
And why not, one doesn't have to believe in easter to buy easter eggs and enjoy them or to enjoy the easter break.
It is a cultural thing, and please don't try to ruin enjoyment of my maltesers easter egg.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone going to be attending Uni of Manchester next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shekouki
Wa'alaykum assalam

Why on earth not? I already did and gonna buy more for my little cousins and nephews this Sunday for an egg hunt. Going to be fun!

To all Christians and even non-Christians reading this, have a good holiday. :smile:

Original post by Al-farhan
و عليكم السلام
And why not, one doesn't have to believe in easter to buy easter eggs and enjoy them or to enjoy the easter break.
It is a cultural thing, and please don't try to ruin enjoyment of my maltesers easter egg.

Easter is a celebration of the Christians. The Christians believe that it was on this day that Jesus rose from the dead after his crucifixion. As Muslims, we are commanded to refrain from imitating the Kuffaar and adopting their ways. If one participates in the celebration of the Kuffaar out of respect for such days, he will become a kaafir. The great jurist, Abu Hafs al-Kabeer (Rahmatullahi Alaihi) said: “The one who after worshipping Allah Ta’aala for fifty years gifted an egg to a disbeliever, in reverence for the Kuffaar celebration, will become a kaafir and lose the reward of all his righteous deeds.” If one participates in a celebration without respecting and honouring their celebration, he will not become a kaafir. However, this action will be makrooh-e-tahreemi. Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: من تشبه بقوم فهو منهم The one who imitates a people will be counted among them (in the court of Allah Ta’aala). Hence, it is impermissible to celebrate Easter, buy, sell, or eat Easter eggs and hot cross buns etc.

(Just something i found for perspective)
Original post by Squishy•
Easter is a celebration of the Christians. The Christians believe that it was on this day that Jesus rose from the dead after his crucifixion. As Muslims, we are commanded to refrain from imitating the Kuffaar and adopting their ways. If one participates in the celebration of the Kuffaar out of respect for such days, he will become a kaafir. The great jurist, Abu Hafs al-Kabeer (Rahmatullahi Alaihi) said: “The one who after worshipping Allah Ta’aala for fifty years gifted an egg to a disbeliever, in reverence for the Kuffaar celebration, will become a kaafir and lose the reward of all his righteous deeds.” If one participates in a celebration without respecting and honouring their celebration, he will not become a kaafir. However, this action will be makrooh-e-tahreemi. Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: من تشبه بقوم فهو منهم The one who imitates a people will be counted among them (in the court of Allah Ta’aala). Hence, it is impermissible to celebrate Easter, buy, sell, or eat Easter eggs and hot cross buns etc.

A great misuse of the hadith.
If you would like to discuss further we can take it outside the isoc.
But still someone buying/eating easter eggs/enjoying the break they get in easter doesn't fall under the hadith or become automatically kaffir.
We can continue this outside the isoc if you want further details.
A great misuse of the hadith.
If you would like to discuss further we can take it outside the isoc.
But still someone buying/eating easter eggs/enjoying the break they get in easter doesn't fall under the hadith or become automatically kaffir.
We can continue this outside the isoc if you want further details.

How is it a misuse?

Lol, the last sentence, looks like everyone can give fatwas nowadays. Nothing wrong with buying eggs akhi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2990
Allah knows best but i kind of see it from both arguments. its like buying a Christmas tree and putting it up just bc you think its nice whilst its still associated with Christmas. I read this Fatwa on islamqa https://islamqa.info/en/101347 and it says

'To sum up: It is not permissible to celebrate the festivals of the kuffaar or to participate in them, whether they do any religious practices in them or limit it to play and entertainment, because just celebrating it is a haraam innovation, but attending their religious rituals is more haraam. The Muslim should spend this day like any other day, and not have any special food or drink on it, or do anything else to show happiness that is done by those who celebrate this festival, such as going out to parks, funfairs and so on, so as to disavow himself of the sins of approving or taking part.'

i know a husband and wife who both studied islamic studies in Madinah university so i will ask them :smile:
Original post by s_ahmed2
Lol, the last sentence, looks like everyone can give fatwas nowadays. Nothing wrong with buying eggs akhi.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What u mean? I never wrote this I found it. I'm not giving any fatwas. However you are saying you can buy them which isn't far off.
Original post by mkap
Allah knows best but i kind of see it from both arguments. its like buying a Christmas tree and putting it up just bc you think its nice whilst its still associated with Christmas. I read this Fatwa on islamqa https://islamqa.info/en/101347 and it says

'To sum up: It is not permissible to celebrate the festivals of the kuffaar or to participate in them, whether they do any religious practices in them or limit it to play and entertainment, because just celebrating it is a haraam innovation, but attending their religious rituals is more haraam. The Muslim should spend this day like any other day, and not have any special food or drink on it, or do anything else to show happiness that is done by those who celebrate this festival, such as going out to parks, funfairs and so on, so as to disavow himself of the sins of approving or taking part.'

i know a husband and wife who both studied islamic studies in Madinah university so i will ask them :smile:

I think it's different from the tree because with the tree you're actually celebrating something. In this case you're buying chocolate, which most of us do all year round anyway.
Reply 2993
Original post by IdeasForLife
I think it's different from the tree because with the tree you're actually celebrating something. In this case you're buying chocolate, which most of us do all year round anyway.

yeah i guees. Allahhu A'lam.
Original post by mkap

السلام عليكمHow is everyoneI would just like to remind everyone to try not to buy easter eggs during this time of the year

Easter is a celebration of the Christians. The Christians believe that it was on this day that Jesus rose from the dead after his crucifixion. As Muslims, we are commanded to refrain from imitating the Kuffaar and adopting their ways. If one participates in the celebration of the Kuffaar out of respect for such days, he will become a kaafir. The great jurist, Abu Hafs al-Kabeer (Rahmatullahi Alaihi) said: “The one who after worshipping Allah Ta’aala for fifty years gifted an egg to a disbeliever, in reverence for the Kuffaar celebration, will become a kaafir and lose the reward of all his righteous deeds.” If one participates in a celebration without respecting and honouring their celebration, he will not become a kaafir. However, this action will be makrooh-e-tahreemi. Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: من تشبه بقوم فهو منهم The one who imitates a people will be counted among them (in the court of Allah Ta’aala). Hence, it is impermissible to celebrate Easter, buy, sell, or eat Easter eggs and hot cross buns etc.(Just something i found for perspective)

If one doesn't have the intention to buy the Easter egg for the celebration of Easter, but rather for the enjoyment of the chocolate, surely it doesn't make one a kaafir?

Some people here are just taking this too far, in my opinion. You're talking about the consumption of chocolate here, not zina.
(edited 8 years ago)
و عليكم السلام

You wouldn't buy a christmas tree during christmas time would you? Then why buy easter eggs during easter though

Just buy them with the intention of buying chocolate and not the intention of buying easter celebration related items insha Allah
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2996
Original post by fire_and_ice
If one doesn't have the intention to buy the Easter egg for the celebration of Easter, but rather for the enjoyment of the chocolate, surely it doesn't make one a kaafir?

Some people here are just taking this too far, in my opinion. You're talking about the consumption of chocolate here, not zina.

haha i know, dont really want to get involved as i cant tell people whats right and wrong bc i dont know much myself. but i understand both arguments though i dont think eating easter chocolate takes you into the folds of being a kufar.
How is it a misuse?

Without getting too deep into the subject.
When Islam deals with communities it deals with two aspects of said community:
-religious aspects: eg celebrating christmas, observing lent, the Holi festival.
-Cultural accepts: having tea at 4 :tongue:, Sunday roast, football, downing a pint at the pub..etc.
Now with regards to religious aspects as muslims we do not celebrate Christmas or observe lent, nor do Christians observe ramadan or celebrate eid.

But when it comes to cultural aspects Islam usually allows freedom here and gives people the comfort of having and keeping their cultural identities and customs. But again there are two kinds of culture:
-Cultural customs that go against islamic teachings eg: downing a pint down the pub, kissing strangers under mistletoe, valentines....etc. Of course as muslims we should avoid and not participate in those cultural customs.
-Cultural customs that do not go against the teachings of Islam, eg if a british muslim wanted to have a sunday roast as a cultural as a cultural aspect that he is used to. Then by no means could that be viewed as haram or fall under the hadith you used.

Now with the topic at hand easter eggs: they more a cultural phenomenon than anything to do with Christianity, where in the teachings of the bible or Christianity does it say ''thou shalt eat chocolate eggs, and dress in fluffy bunny costumes in celebration of his resurrection''.
Does that also by association make eating turkey in december haram and forbidden? Of course not.
Your average muslim who buys an easter egg, doesn't go into shops thinking '' oh today is the day of jesus return must buy chocolate eggs''.
They go in there find something decent not associating anything with that purchase other than this is going to be nice later on..etc.
There is ease and flexibility in this religion we try hard to constrict.
Celebrating Easter is definitely haram but buying Easter eggs is fine I guess .. I mean your intention is to enjoy eating them just like any other chocolate.
(edited 8 years ago)
What u mean? I never wrote this I found it. I'm not giving any fatwas. However you are saying you can buy them which isn't far off.

Sorry, I thought you wrote it.

Anyways Farhan has explained the issue very well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending