The Student Room Group

Studying Law in Aberdeen or Kent?

I find it hard to decide whether should put Aberdeen or Kent as my firm choice, both uni are great, I love Aberdeen uni's buildings, but I also love Canterbury, so I can't choose it...
Do u think I should choose Aberdeen or Kent? Is the city of Aberdeen beautiful and historical? And how is the life in Kent uni and Canterbury?

Scroll to see replies

Do you want to be a lawyer? If so, where do you want to live? There's not much point doing a Scots Law degree if you want to live and work in England.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Do you want to be a lawyer? If so, where do you want to live? There's not much point doing a Scots Law degree if you want to live and work in England.

Well I am an international student and I want to be a lawyer.
Currently I had a conditional offer from Aberdeen LLB with English Law and I believe with this degree I can still work in England.
Both offers are conditionals, so I can't decide... So what do u think?
Original post by TsangNicole
Well I am an international student and I want to be a lawyer.
Currently I had a conditional offer from Aberdeen LLB with English Law and I believe with this degree I can still work in England.
Both offers are conditionals, so I can't decide... So what do u think?

In that case you should make your decision based on specific modules (there are likely to be differences in the optional modules available on each degree, which do you prefer?), cost, location and what (if any) internships are available nearby. Are you planning on staying in the UK or returning home after you graduate? Aberdeen probably is better regarded abroad because it's older and is located in a fairly well known city.
I would make doubly certain the Aberdeen degree is accpetable by the Law soc with no additional hurdles. If you want to do English law then i would wnat to study English law. If it makes no difference becayse you are going to practice back in your native jurisdiction then Aberdeen sounds nice.
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
In that case you should make your decision based on specific modules (there are likely to be differences in the optional modules available on each degree, which do you prefer?), cost, location and what (if any) internships are available nearby. Are you planning on staying in the UK or returning home after you graduate? Aberdeen probably is better regarded abroad because it's older and is located in a fairly well known city.

it's really a good advice, i will consider these factors, thanks a lot, it really helps me to make my decision! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
I would make doubly certain the Aberdeen degree is accpetable by the Law soc with no additional hurdles. If you want to do English law then i would wnat to study English law. If it makes no difference becayse you are going to practice back in your native jurisdiction then Aberdeen sounds nice.

you're right, maybe i should think whether i will stay in the uk or returning home before making a decision. Thanks! :wink:
I have checked.

The School of Law is now offering a degree of Law with English Law.

A degree in Law with English Law is taught via a selection of compulsory and optional courses to enhance your learning and prepare you for a future career or further study. In each year you will take courses adding up to 120 credits. A key element of this degree is the choice it gives you in respect of your future decisions regarding the legal profession. If you take this degree (for which places are limited), you will have all the necessary subjects to proceed to the professional training stage in Scotland OR in England and Wales (subject of course to your obtaining a place at the appropriate institution and bearing in mind the variety and limits of opportunities for funding and obtaining loans).

Note that the Solicitors Regulation Authority in England is presently reviewing its requirements for training for the period from 2018/19 and there will be a consultation in this respect in December 2015. For more information, please see the "Statement of Transitional Arrangements" http://www.sra.org.uk/sra/policy/training-for-tomorrow/Resources/transitional-arrangements-statement.page and accompanying FAQs http://www.sra.org.uk/sra/policy/training-for-tomorrow/Resources/transitional-arrangements-qanda.page

I sugest you post spearate posts on each part of the forum for Kent and Aberdeen so they can tell you what its like.
(edited 8 years ago)
Btw plenty of lawyers do transfer down, but it does involve them taking a few additional courses where English and Scottish law differ. i do not know the content of your course, but in some areas they are different.

So woth a Scottish degree you cna transfer over, but you need to retake some modules. I dont know how many.

heres a good link discussing the 2 ways of converting

http://www.careersblog.law.ed.ac.uk/2010/09/14/considering-converting-to-english-law/

If you really liked Aberdeen and are prepared to do the above then i'd go where you would be happy. Its just importnat to understand the implications so you make the best choice for you. The courseproviders need to answer any questions you have.

But the whole point is the course they have applied for at Aberdeen is WITH English law which specifically teaches both Scottish and English law so that a graduate has all the relevent modules to go on to a career in either England or Scotland
,They would NOT have to do any additional modules- that is the whole point of the course!

c
Original post by watchingyouwatch
But the whole point is the course they have applied for at Aberdeen is WITH English law which specifically teaches both Scottish and English law so that a graduate has all the relevent modules to go on to a career in either England or Scotland
,They would NOT have to do any additional modules- that is the whole point of the course!

c

Thats cool then. You see the bit where I wrote I dont know the contents of the course, hence the probiso about making sure and checking?
It must be so hard, as an international applicant, to decide when you can't spend time in each of your options! I don't know much - anything really - about Kent but have made Aberdeen my firm (unconditional) choice so I can tell you specifically what I like about Aberdeen & perhaps give you a few general points to consider too...

From the very outset, before even applying, Aberdeen's level & style of communication impressed me. When dealing with the university, I have always felt welcomed & valued, never just another applicant in the vast ocean of applicants. Aberdeen has really strong student support systems. All under-grad. lectures & tutorials at Aberdeen are taken by teaching staff, never by post-grad. students. The university is large enough to feel cosmopolitan & buzzy but small enough not to feel overwhelming...actually, that pretty well sums up the city of Aberdeen too.

If history is important to you, founded in 1495, Aberdeen is the 5th oldest university in the English speaking world. It is one of only 7 Ancient Universities.

If climate is important to you, be aware that Aberdeen has colder, harsher weather than Kent. I know this seems a silly point to some but I think it's important. The level of rainfall in Glasgow is one of the reasons I didn't apply to either Glasgow or Strathclyde. I don't much mind being cold but really hate being wet so would find spending 4 years in a damp, soggy climate depressing.

If time is important to you, the Llb in Aberdeen is a 4 year course & in Kent it's 3.

If league tables are important to you, a TSR poster complied a "table of tables" earlier this year. Aberdeen features & Kent does not.

image.jpeg

I don't know if that's any help; I've tried to be as balanced as possible but have clear Aberdeen bias!
Reply 11
Original post by MsTabitha
It must be so hard, as an international applicant, to decide when you can't spend time in each of your options! I don't know much - anything really - about Kent but have made Aberdeen my firm (unconditional) choice so I can tell you specifically what I like about Aberdeen & perhaps give you a few general points to consider too...

From the very outset, before even applying, Aberdeen's level & style of communication impressed me. When dealing with the university, I have always felt welcomed & valued, never just another applicant in the vast ocean of applicants. Aberdeen has really strong student support systems. All under-grad. lectures & tutorials at Aberdeen are taken by teaching staff, never by post-grad. students. The university is large enough to feel cosmopolitan & buzzy but small enough not to feel overwhelming...actually, that pretty well sums up the city of Aberdeen too.

If history is important to you, founded in 1495, Aberdeen is the 5th oldest university in the English speaking world. It is one of only 7 Ancient Universities.

If climate is important to you, be aware that Aberdeen has colder, harsher weather than Kent. I know this seems a silly point to some but I think it's important. The level of rainfall in Glasgow is one of the reasons I didn't apply to either Glasgow or Strathclyde. I don't much mind being cold but really hate being wet so would find spending 4 years in a damp, soggy climate depressing.

If time is important to you, the Llb in Aberdeen is a 4 year course & in Kent it's 3.

If league tables are important to you, a TSR poster complied a "table of tables" earlier this year. Aberdeen features & Kent does not.

image.jpeg

I don't know if that's any help; I've tried to be as balanced as possible but have clear Aberdeen bias!

Thank you so much, yes I agree that University of Aberdeen has a great communication, even I live in overseas, they mail me often and makes me feel warm and being welcomed.
So lots of evidence shown that University of Aberdeen is better than University of Kent?
How about the prospect? What I am considering is the internship, as I want to get into the large law firms in London, so do you think University of Aberdeen will be comparatively disadvantage? Because as far as I know Kent is way more near to London.

image.jpeg

Lancaster is better than Warwick for law? Newcastle is better than York? And QUB????
Original post by TsangNicole
Thank you so much, yes I agree that University of Aberdeen has a great communication, even I live in overseas, they mail me often and makes me feel warm and being welcomed.So lots of evidence shown that University of Aberdeen is better than University of Kent?How about the prospect? What I am considering is the internship, as I want to get into the large law firms in London, so do you think University of Aberdeen will be comparatively disadvantage? Because as far as I know Kent is way more near to London.
That's true, it is. However, this link shows who exhibited at Aberdeen's Law Fair last year - with Magic Cicle representation from e.g. Slaughter & May, Clifford Chance, Freshfields - & I doubt they'd bother coming all the way up to Aberdeen if they didn't consider it worth their while. The geographical proximity of the university to London is less relevant than the quality of the university.
https://www.abdn.ac.uk/careers/events/8069/
Original post by Pocahontas Thug
Lancaster is better than Warwick for law? Newcastle is better than York? And QUB????

It's not my table. It was complied by a TSR poster using recent data from various league tables.

The validity of the various league tables seems to cause so much "sturm und drang" but I thought that the post I linked to might be of interest to the O.P. on this thread. The original link is here...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3673257&page=72
It's not my table. It was complied by a TSR poster using recent data from various league tables.

The validity of the various league tables seems to cause so much "sturm und drang" but I thought that the post I linked to might be of interest to the O.P. on this thread. The original link is here...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3673257&page=72

It might be useful, yes, in giving the OP a false impression. This "table of tables" is a nonsense.
I found that table rather alarming. I wouldnt be putting any money on it.
I found that table rather alarming. I wouldnt be putting any money on it.

You should have gone to Lancaster or QUB, my friend. Evidently.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
It might be useful, yes, in giving the OP a false impression. This "table of tables" is a nonsense.
A false impression of what? As I have explained, it is not my table. Someone here collated & compiled all the available data from the last 4 years & that's what they came up with. *shrug*

There is always so much handwringing over the validity & relevance of league tables on TSR. However, if you're the type who's inclined to place great store in league tables - & not everyone is - the point stands that Aberdeen comes out pretty well. Out of the 100 or so law schools in the U.K, CUG & The Guardian both have Aberdeen at 11th, The Sunday Times has it at 16th & QS at 18th. If one was to narrow the field further to Scots law schools, Aberdeen is never out of the top 3. My point was simply that Aberdeen regularly outperforms Kent in league tables & that is something which may be of interest to the O.P.
(edited 8 years ago)
A false impression of what? As I have explained, it is not my table. Someone here collated & compiled all the available data from the last 4 years & that's what they came up with. *shrug*

There is always so much handwringing over the validity & relevance of league tables on TSR. However, if you're the type who's inclined to place great store in league tables - & not everyone is - the point stands that Aberdeen comes out pretty well. Out of the 100 or so law schools in the U.K, CUG & The Guardian both have Aberdeen at 11th, The Sunday Times has it at 16th & QS at 18th. If one was to narrow the field further to Scots law schools, Aberdeen is never out of the top 3. My point was simply that Aberdeen regularly outperforms Kent in league tables & that is something which may be of interest to the O.P.

You asked me how it (the table of tables) can give applicants a false impression. My answering has nothing to do with your good intentions or meaning well. I am only concerned with it. And it is ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending