The Student Room Group

Can you think of any other ideology that has such political protections as Islam?

Can you think of any other ideology where there is a highly defamatory neologism for anyone who criticizes or insults people for following it? If you are labelled an "Islamophobe" you may lose your job, be socially outcast, or you may even face legal action as "Islamophobia" is often considered hate speech.

There's no Hinduphobia, Buddhophobia, or Christianophobia. Only Islamophobia.

There's antisemitism, but that usually describes someone who is prejudiced against people of a particular lineage, something which said people have no choice in and can't change, so it's justifiable to compare it to racism. Being Islamophobic is just disliking people for their ideas and views, something which everyone does all the time, accept for with Muslims, when it is considered immoral and even potentially illegal.

Scroll to see replies

Its illegal to incite hatred towards other religions too as far as i know.
Original post by KingBradly
Can you think of any other ideology where there is a highly defamatory neologism for anyone who criticizes or insults people for following it? If you are labelled an "Islamophobe" you may lose your job, be socially outcast, or you may even face legal action as "Islamophobia" is often considered hate speech.

There's no Hinduphobia, Buddhophobia, or Christianophobia. Only Islamophobia.

There's antisemitism, but that usually describes someone who is prejudiced against people of a particular lineage, something which said people have no choice in and can't change, so it's justifiable to compare it to racism. Being Islamophobic is just disliking people for their ideas and views, something which everyone does all the time, accept for with Muslims, when it is considered immoral and even potentially illegal.

Sigh, the Quran was written 1.5 millennia ago.

It had political ideological tenets then because society was driven by religion.

But Muslims have moved on, it's just a shame that some murderers/terrorists who happen to follow Islam are manipulating your view of Islam.
Political correctness.
Original post by Frank Underwood
Sigh, the Quran was written 1.5 millennia ago.

It had political ideological tenets then because society was driven by religion.

But Muslims have moved on, it's just a shame that some murderers/terrorists who happen to follow Islam are manipulating your view of Islam.

Yes you're right, Muslim-majority countries are such bastions of freedom, democracy and liberalism now aren't they?

Between the death penalty for apostasy, the criminalisation of homosexuality, the blasphemy laws and the second-class status of women it is so obvious Muslim countries have moved on.

The same is true here in the West. So-called Sharia courts stopping women making legal claims for domestic violence and abuse. Thousands of Muslims taking to the streets to defend the primacy of Islam over free speech. Hundreds of Muslims going to ISIS, and thousands of Muslims polled having reactionary, homophobic and anti-semitic feelings. How wonderfully enlightened this all is.

How could anyone doubt the suitability of Islam to the modern world with all of this going on? It's unfathomable
Original post by tengentoppa
Yes you're right, Muslim-majority countries are such bastions of freedom, democracy and liberalism now aren't they?

Between the death penalty for apostasy, the criminalisation of homosexuality, the blasphemy laws and the second-class status of women it is so obvious Muslim countries have moved on.

The same is true here in the West. So-called Sharia courts stopping women making legal claims for domestic violence and abuse. Thousands of Muslims taking to the streets to defend the primacy of Islam over free speech. Hundreds of Muslims going to ISIS, and thousands of Muslims polled having reactionary, homophobic and anti-semitic feelings. How wonderfully enlightened this all is.

How could anyone doubt the suitability of Islam to the modern world with all of this going on? It's unfathomable

Have you ever been to a predominantly Muslim country, and mixed with the locals? It's not the authoritarian terrorist stronghold you think it is.
Reply 6
Original post by chosenone93
Its illegal to incite hatred towards other religions too as far as i know.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to incite hatred full-stop. It's just that for some groups the level of hostility that gets considered as "hatred" is a lot less than it is for others. For example: criticize holocaust survivor for the actions of Israel? A-OK. Say that Islamic terrorists may actually be Muslims too? Islamophobe!
Reply 7
Have you ever been to a predominantly Muslim country, and mixed with the locals? It's not the authoritarian terrorist stronghold you think it is.

What, just ANY majority Muslim country? You're lumping in Indonesia with the KSA?

Yes I've been to several to visit family. Rife anti-semitism and homophobia, delusional belief that all terrorism is done by Mossad to justify their perceived victimhood, government spending millions on mosques rather than helping people and a theocratic legal system.

And that's just in some of the relatively liberal ones in North Africa. The Gulf States treat Westerners very well, but scratch beneath the surface and the superficial wealth and they are medieval cesspits promoting a vile ideology.
What, just ANY majority Muslim country? You're lumping in Indonesia with the KSA?

Indonesia is the highest population Muslim country in the world, so surely if all countries with a lot of Muslims were as described, Indonesia would be?

But it isn't, I've been there and it's a great country. Their military is particularly good because they prevented an ISIS attack earlier this year.
Original post by tengentoppa
Yes I've been to several to visit family. Rife anti-semitism and homophobia, delusional belief that all terrorism is done by Mossad to justify their perceived victimhood, government spending millions on mosques rather than helping people and a theocratic legal system.

And that's just in some of the relatively liberal ones in North Africa. The Gulf States treat Westerners very well, but scratch beneath the surface and the superficial wealth and they are medieval cesspits promoting a vile ideology.

You're lying. You're making assumptions about the majority of the population from what is evidently a skim-surface read of the place.

I won't lie to you though, I was intimidated in Istanbul and Marrakech, they have a slightly aggressive selling-style on the streets - but don't confuse that with terrorism.
Never heard of the Spanish Inquisition, OP?

Every religion has had political protection at one time or another.
Reply 12
The myth of Islamophobia suits gulf states and US interests nicely because it discourages any active criticism of tyranny in these countries and allows the oil to flow freely, the left wing as usual are useful idiots in the game of the big players.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by whorace
The myth of Islamophobia suits gulf states and US interests nicely because it discourages any active criticism of tyranny in these countries and allows the oil to flow freely, the left wing as usual as used are useful idiots in the game of the big players.

What an absurd, one-dimensional view of the situation.
Reply 14
What an absurd, one-dimensional view of the situation.

Is this coming from the guy who is saying Muslims have moved on and then has the hypocrisy to talk about never visiting a country he clearly hasn't been to himself?
Original post by whorace
Is this coming from the guy who is saying Muslims have moved on and then has the hypocrisy to talk about never visiting a country he clearly hasn't been to himself?

Muslims have moved on.

Terrorists, who do not represent the version of Islam to which 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide follow, have tenets which show that they haven't moved on.

You're letting the terrorists, who consist of a tiny portion of Muslims, manipulate your entire view of Muslims / Islam.

And wait, what is this 'country I haven't visited'?
Reply 16
Muslims have moved on.

Terrorists, who do not represent the version of Islam to which 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide follow, have tenets which show that they haven't moved on.

You're letting the terrorists, who consist of a tiny portion of Muslims, manipulate your entire view of Muslims / Islam.

And wait, what is this 'country I haven't visited'?

Lol you are so ignorant of Wahhabism it's ridiculous, i'm talking about KSA, Qatar and other gulf states, if you're going to act superior to others you should at least have a basic understanding of what you are talking about. I am not letting a tiny portion of Muslims manipulate my view of Islam, quite the contrary actually, Muslims in London are far more liberal than those in other countries in my experience.
For example: criticize holocaust survivor for the actions of Israel? A-OK.

I call ********.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whorace
Lol you are so ignorant of Wahhabism it's ridiculous, i'm talking about KSA, Qatar and other gulf states, if you're going to act superior to others you should at least have a basic understanding of what you are talking about. I am not letting a tiny portion of Muslims manipulate my view of Islam, quite the contrary actually, Muslims in London are far more liberal than those in other countries in my experience.

I'm acting superior? You're the one acting superior by calling all liberals idiots. You're the one purporting to have a better understanding than me.

I don't understand why you're having to attack me personally when there is quite a simple discussion to be made.
Original post by Mathemagicien
OP is clearly talking about the present, in secular countries, not medieval officially Christian countries

This country had Christian-based morality laws - and laws on blasphemy were only repealed in 2008.

Every religion has had people being picky about it. It's just Islam's turn.

Quick Reply

Latest