The Student Room Group

New gcses (year 9)

Hi Everybody,
I'm currently in Year 9, which means I will be doing the new, harder GCSE'S with the grading system 9-1, for all my subjects except Geography.
My Exam Boards
English- AQA
Spanish- AQA
Maths- Edexcel
Science- OCR (our triple science exams are in a month to see who will do it)
History- AQA
Geography- Edexcel
Religious Studies- AQA
BTEC Sport- Not sure on the Exam Board but doing a GCSE/BTEC P.E is compulsory in my school
Targets- All 8's which is like an A*

Does anybody have the same exam board and is in the same year as me? Any revision tips? I chose Psychology for Year 10 and the exam board is AQA I think.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reinaadira
Hi Everybody,
I'm currently in Year 9, which means I will be doing the new, harder GCSE'S with the grading system 9-1, for all my subjects except Geography.
My Exam Boards
English- AQA
Spanish- AQA
Maths- Edexcel
History- AQA
Geography- Edexcel
Religious Studies- AQA
BTEC Sport- Not sure on the Exam Board but doing a GCSE/BTEC P.E is compulsory in my school

Does anybody have the same exam board and is in the same year as me? Any revision tips? I chose Psychology for Year 10 and the exam board is AQA I think.

Hi im not in the same year as you but in in year 10 taking the old spec of gcse apart from english and maths all my friends quite geeky friends take paycology and are also on aqa and say its really boring abd most wished they didnt take it please bear in mind youll atudy it for 3 yers and we atarted gcses in year 9 so they have been through it
Reply 2
Hi Everybody,
My Exam Boards
English- AQA
Spanish- AQA
Maths- Edexcel
History- AQA
Geography- Edexcel
Religious Studies- AQA

Hi, I'm in Year 10 and have the same exam boards for Maths and English. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/timeline-of-changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels/changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels-that-will-affect-each-current-school-year-group#year-9 according to this link there will be changes to the Geography GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by chris2791
Hi im not in the same year as you but in in year 10 taking the old spec of gcse apart from english and maths all my friends quite geeky friends take paycology and are also on aqa and say its really boring abd most wished they didnt take it please bear in mind youll atudy it for 3 yers and we atarted gcses in year 9 so they have been through it

What options do you do? In my school as it is compulsory to take P.E, we are only allowed to take two optional subjects
Reply 4
Original post by JTran38
Hi, I'm in Year 10 and have the same exam boards for Maths and English. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/timeline-of-changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels/changes-to-gcses-as-and-a-levels-that-will-affect-each-current-school-year-group#year-9 according to this link there will be changes to the Geography GCSE.

How do you revise for them? (english language & literature & maths)
I'm taking my Geography GCSE in Year 10, but the other Geography Class in my year are doing the new GCSE which I prefer to the old one. Currently doing our 25% controlled assessment.
Reply 5
How do you revise for them? (english language & literature & maths)
I'm taking my Geography GCSE in Year 10, but the other Geography Class in my year are doing the new GCSE which I prefer to the old one. Currently doing our 25% controlled assessment.

For Maths, practice is essential especially as the new exams are getting harder. For English Literature exams, knowing the text well is going to be helpful provided that you can answer the questions well.

Interesting that you get to sit Geography in Year 10 and good luck.
What options do you do? In my school as it is compulsory to take P.E, we are only allowed to take two optional subjects

I take Media History Business and Economics food technology
Reply 7
Original post by JTran38
For Maths, practice is essential especially as the new exams are getting harder. For English Literature exams, knowing the text well is going to be helpful provided that you can answer the questions well.

Interesting that you get to sit Geography in Year 10 and good luck.

I do Geography four times a week and then in Year 10 it will be twice a week and then we do our exams and thanks, same to you

I find Maths really hard as it is my weakest subject. My Target is an 8 which is feel like is too high but oh well. Are there any good maths websites to pracitce?
Also, for English Literature there are so many things available which I think is good like revision guides, notes on books etc, but what about English Language Paper 1?
Reply 8
I take Media History Business and Economics food technology

Do you have revision tips for History? We do History twice a week and my teacher is not here much and my class is extremely misbehaved and immature although it is top set so you wouldn't except that, that is why we do not get a lot of work done or learnt
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I do Geography four times a week and then in Year 10 it will be twice a week and then we do our exams and thanks, same to you

I find Maths really hard as it is my weakest subject. My Target is an 8 which is feel like is too high but oh well. Are there any good maths websites to pracitce?
Also, for English Literature there are so many things available which I think is good like revision guides, notes on books etc, but what about English Language Paper 1?

For Maths, use the specimen paper for the exam board as there currently isn't a past paper. I also use MathsWatch for Maths revision. I'll admit that I'm not very good at Maths myself. For English Language Paper 1 and 2 is about practising the skills required for the questions that covers language and structure etc. You can use GCSEPod for that.
Original post by JTran38
For Maths, use the specimen paper for the exam board as there currently isn't a past paper. I also use MathsWatch for Maths revision. I'll admit that I'm not very good at Maths myself. For English Language Paper 1 and 2 is about practising the skills required for the questions that covers language and structure etc. You can use GCSEPod for that.

I will use MathsWatch more often, I've only like played a few videos.
We have covered so far Paper 1 in English Language, Section A and Section B. Section A, I feel is easier than Section B because it focuses on Language, Structure and if you agree with who ever is saying what etc, but Section B is worth the same amount of marks which makes it harder to get a good grade because you have to like do a description and I find that harder than Section A. GCSE Pod is really good but so many videos, hard to find which one!
Reply 11
I will use MathsWatch more often, I've only like played a few videos.
We have covered so far Paper 1 in English Language, Section A and Section B. Section A, I feel is easier than Section B because it focuses on Language, Structure and if you agree with who ever is saying what etc, but Section B is worth the same amount of marks which makes it harder to get a good grade because you have to like do a description and I find that harder than Section A. GCSE Pod is really good but so many videos, hard to find which one!

Just ensure you go on to the current spec video by going on to My account and scrolling down to tick the subjects that apply to you. For example English Language has many sections and those sections are broken down to sub-sections. I would advise to check the sections for the videos you want to watch as I haven't watch all of them myself.
Original post by JTran38
Just ensure you go on to the current spec video by going on to My account and scrolling down to tick the subjects that apply to you. For example English Language has many sections and those sections are broken down to sub-sections. I would advise to check the sections for the videos you want to watch as I haven't watch all of them myself.

What are you hoping on getting in English? I know you guys are the first year to do the new GCSE for English and Maths and then we'll know how hard they are but the exam boards might like release some mock or pilot papers as we do "pilot" papers for our exams. I really love English Literature, I find it so interesting and fun but it is really about your writing style and how you express your thoughts. For your essays in English Lit, do you have like an essay plan?
Reply 13
What are you hoping on getting in English? I know you guys are the first year to do the new GCSE for English and Maths and then we'll know how hard they are but the exam boards might like release some mock or pilot papers as we do "pilot" papers for our exams. I really love English Literature, I find it so interesting and fun but it is really about your writing style and how you express your thoughts. For your essays in English Lit, do you have like an essay plan?

Well I'm aiming for the equivalent of a Grade A which is about a Grade 7/8 for English. I prefer English Literature as well as the texts you're studying are interesting. For the English Literature focus on making points about the extract and back that up with evidence from text and then use background knowledge where appropriate. I can't remember which paper but yes, there's a question where you can express your viewpoint and thoughts but check the exam board website for further info.
Original post by JTran38
Well I'm aiming for the equivalent of a Grade A which is about a Grade 7/8 for English. I prefer English Literature as well as the texts you're studying are interesting. For the English Literature focus on making points about the extract and back that up with evidence from text and then use background knowledge where appropriate. I can't remember which paper but yes, there's a question where you can express your viewpoint and thoughts but check the exam board website for further info.

We've studied Lord of the Flies for English Lit paper 2, Section A (Modern Prose or drama) and for section B, I think we might do Of Mice and Men (exploring cultures).

For English Lit paper 1, we are going to move onto Romeo and Juliet for the Shakespeare part but for Section A, we'd either do Jane Eyre or A Dicken's novel but the teachers are still deciding.

Which books/poems have you studied?
Reply 15
We've studied Lord of the Flies for English Lit paper 2, Section A (Modern Prose or drama) and for section B, I think we might do Of Mice and Men (exploring cultures).

For English Lit paper 1, we are going to move onto Romeo and Juliet for the Shakespeare part but for Section A, we'd either do Jane Eyre or A Dicken's novel but the teachers are still deciding.

Which books/poems have you studied?

From what I remember Mice and Man isn't included in the text list for the AQA exam board for English.

I'm doing A Christmas Carol (19th Century novel), Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare) and An Inspector Calls (Modern text).
Original post by JTran38
From what I remember Mice and Man isn't included in the text list for the AQA exam board for English.

I'm doing A Christmas Carol (19th Century novel), Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare) and An Inspector Calls (Modern text).

Oh ok, yeah I don't know if the new GCSE would include Of Mice and Men but I think I might read it anyway because there's so many videos of analysis on it and it seems quite interesting. I really like A Christmas Carol but I wish we do Jane Eyre next year. Do you think English Literature is something people have to be naturally good at (mostly) or is it something that can be significantly improved? Like my Maths teacher says I can practice and improve in Maths much more than other subjects, but to be honest and I have no idea, as people say different things.
I take Media History Business and Economics food technology[/QUO

I kind of just skipped into this forum and I happened to see your comment... I'm in year 9 too and I have to choose my options quite soon for GCSEs, and I was having quite a fiery internal debate over media or history. The school has given us only two optional choices, and I've already made up my mind on art being one of them, and either media or history as the other. So since you take both, could you please tell me what they're like , the workload and which one you'd prefer. :smile: My exam board for media is AQA- not sure about history.

Please get back to me soon! Thanks!

And to the student who started this thread: yes, I feel you, I'm gonna be doing the new GCSEs as well (duh) and I'm 100% kind of maybe a little freaked. It's gonna be a lot harder, for sure.
Reply 18
Oh ok, yeah I don't know if the new GCSE would include Of Mice and Men but I think I might read it anyway because there's so many videos of analysis on it and it seems quite interesting. I really like A Christmas Carol but I wish we do Jane Eyre next year. Do you think English Literature is something people have to be naturally good at (mostly) or is it something that can be significantly improved? Like my Maths teacher says I can practice and improve in Maths much more than other subjects, but to be honest and I have no idea, as people say different things.

English in general you can improve. With English Literature make sure you get the relevant revision guides for the texts you're studying and listen in class when reading and annotating the text.
[QUOTE="Fangirl2048;63848813"]
I take Media History Business and Economics food technology[/QUO

I kind of just skipped into this forum and I happened to see your comment... I'm in year 9 too and I have to choose my options quite soon for GCSEs, and I was having quite a fiery internal debate over media or history. The school has given us only two optional choices, and I've already made up my mind on art being one of them, and either media or history as the other. So since you take both, could you please tell me what they're like , the workload and which one you'd prefer. :smile: My exam board for media is AQA- not sure about history.

Please get back to me soon! Thanks!

And to the student who started this thread: yes, I feel you, I'm gonna be doing the new GCSEs as well (duh) and I'm 100% kind of maybe a little freaked. It's gonna be a lot harder, for sure.

Hi, I know I am not the person you were asking but I do History and I know people who do Media and I have been in a GCSE Media lesson twice. I know a bit about Media and what it is about. You analyse things like DVD Covers, Posters and how they are used for effect and the target audience, purpose etc. You can design your own covers and how you are going to attract and engage views and that sort of stuff. I do History, and I personally think it is better than Media and I feel like it is a more useful skill for me- but do what ever subject you like at the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest