The Student Room Group

Currently living in Saudi Arabia AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by I am Halal
Is Arabic that hard then. I heard most westerners struggle with their writing. I have also heard it is extremely easy for Pakistanis to learn Arabic

i cn read it but cant understand it. i get why it would be easier for pakistanis as some words are similar to Arabic but i dont know Hindi
Original post by sleepysnooze
your second point makes sense but not the first - surely it's not really a pilgrimage by definition if it's just one time as a travelling experience

There's actually a sort of "ritual" (might be using this term improperly here - it's more of just wearing special clothes + reciting certain prayers) that one carries out before approaching the city that is basically what starts your "journey". and this is what would officially start the "pilgrimage". For some people who must fly in, these special clothes are donned either in the airplane or at the departure airport. But for everyone, resident or not, this must be done before a certain point in the radius of Mecca @mkap tell me if I'm wrong.

tl;dr distance is different but the actual act of worship known as the "pilgrimage" lasts from a certain point outside the city (albeit quite close by) to when the person has finished their prayers within
Reply 102
Original post by whorace
Tbf it would bother me about paying tax to a country that directly finances public executions, but in terms of distance apparently Riyadh to Jeddah is about 8 and a half hours by car? (google maps for the rescue?)

its a tax free county :h: and other counties like mexico have public executions but people still go there.
Reply 103
Original post by Student403
There's actually a sort of "ritual" (might be using this term improperly here - it's more of just wearing special clothes + reciting certain prayers) that one carries out before approaching the city that is basically what starts your "journey". and this is what would officially start the "pilgrimage". For some people who must fly in, these special clothes are donned either in the airplane or at the departure airport. But for everyone, resident or not, this must be done before a certain point in the radius of Mecca @mkap tell me if I'm wrong.

tl;dr distance is different but the actual act of worship known as the "pilgrimage" lasts from a certain point outside the city (albeit quite close by) to when the person has finished their prayers within

yeah thats right we get into out ihram at home and pray out 2 nafl at home before we set off.
Original post by mkap
yeah thats right we get into out ihram at home and pray out 2 nafl at home before we set off.

Okay :smile: Do you actually live in Mecca or Jeddah? And do you know where residents of Mecca have to wear ihram?
Reply 105
Original post by Student403
Okay :smile: Do you actually live in Mecca or Jeddah? And do you know where residents of Mecca have to wear ihram?

In jeddah and idk about makkah residents :h:
Original post by mkap
In jeddah and idk about makkah residents :h:

Cheers!
Original post by I am Halal
Is Arabic that hard then. I heard most westerners struggle with their writing. I have also heard it is extremely easy for Pakistanis to learn Arabic

Yes cos the national language of Pakistan is Urdu, which has the same scripture as Arabic. Hence why Urdu speakers can read Arabic too, but not necessarily know what it means. The scriptures are the same but spoken words are completely different.
(edited 8 years ago)
How do you feel about the 'Saudi Arabia Uncovered' documentary played on ITV this week? Did you here of it?
Original post by Christ Redeems
"The abaya covers the whole body except the face, feet, and hands."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaya

Is this definition wrong?

An abaya is just a long black dress but most people tend to wear it with a headscarf which explains why it says that. We usually call the one that also covers the hair a 'jilbaab'.
Alham, you're really blessed. I went to Saudi Arabia last summer, spent a week in meccah and medinah and then went to live with my relatives in Jeddah and yeah its not really strict there at all, you'd be shocked what acc happens though :biggrin:
Reply 111
Original post by cookiemunch
How do you feel about the 'Saudi Arabia Uncovered' documentary played on ITV this week? Did you here of it?

i heard about it about how they made saudi look like a torture place to be but its so chill here, nothing like how they make it out to be
Eyy, used to live in Dhahran! What part of Saudi are staying in? What do you usually outside of work? Favorite thing you've experienced so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
Original post by Princepieman
Eyy, used to live in Dhahran! What part of Saudi are staying in? What do you usually outside of work? Favorite thing you've experienced so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im staying in Jeddah :smile: study go to malls, the red sea and stuff :biggrin: it would be going makkah :h:
Reply 114
Original post by HotFlash
Why are you so amazing?

:giggle: :jumphug: :kissing2:
How do Saudis treat Pakistanis n Indians

i heard Pakistanis get treated bad in Saudi
Original post by muzi786
How do Saudis treat Pakistanis n Indians

i heard Pakistanis get treated bad in Saudi

i heard they treat all non saudi ppl bad
Thanks @mkap for making this thread, my perception of saudi arabia has changed completely :O I stopped following the media anyway.
Have fun being beaten and oppressed.
Original post by Cato the Elder
Have fun being beaten and oppressed.

lmao..........thats so rude

Quick Reply

Latest