The Student Room Group

Finding nuclear diameter using electron De Broglie Wavelength doesn't make sense

So apparently, the de broglie wavelength of an electron must be similar to the nuclear diameter for much diffraction of the electron to occur. I do not understand this, as from my understanding it should be that the electron de broglie wavelength should be similar to the atomic spacing, or distance between nuclei.

The nucleus is not a gap that the electron is diffracting through, so why is it that the electron wavelength must be similar to its diameter, and not the atomic spacing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edudog
So apparently, the de broglie wavelength of an electron must be similar to the nuclear diameter for much diffraction of the electron to occur. I do not understand this, as from my understanding it should be that the electron de broglie wavelength should be similar to the atomic spacing, or distance between nuclei.

The nucleus is not a gap that the electron is diffracting through, so why is it that the electron wavelength must be similar to its radius, and not the atomic spacing?

which one is it? xD
Reply 2
Original post by thefatone
which one is it? xD

Diameter, my bad :biggrin: but the point of the question remains the same :-/
Well you get diffraction when a wave passes an obstacle too... though for A level I think you just need to remember the rather 'handflappy' explanation you're given
Reply 4
Diffraction occurs when a wave meets an obstacle or a gap. It can be an obstacle too. Not just a gap.

Quick Reply

Latest