The Student Room Group

STEP Tricks and Hacks Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
just a few suggestions, you might want to add in what's wrong with the AM-GM inequality "proof" that you showed and how to fix it

Will edit now.
Original post by Zacken

P.S: Nice touch adding the proof by contrapositive, I just want to add my thoughts on it for anybody who doesn't see why A    B    ¬B    ¬AA \implies B \iff \neg B \implies \neg A

I'm a big fan of the contrapositive :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by joostan
Will edit now.

Thanks! :smile:

I'm a big fan of the contrapositive :smile:

As am I - I've only recently started learning off the logic stuff and it's often much easier to do A    BA \implies B then B    AB \implies A by making one of them the contrapositive because it's rare to have both directions of the implication be easy.

On the other hand... there's many a time I've skipped a step and done A    BA \implies B and then ¬B    ¬A\neg B \implies \neg A instead of ¬A    ¬B\neg A \implies \neg Band realise that I've proven the same thing twice - massive facepalms. :laugh:
Original post by Zacken
One recurring theme is to exploit the symmetry of trigonometric functions during integrating. Using this in conjunction with:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^b f(a+b-x) \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

is particularly useful.

Here's an example: 0π/4log(1+tanθ)dθ\int_0^{\pi/4} \log (1 + \tan \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta. How is this relevant here? Call our integral II, then using the substitution θπ4θ\theta \mapsto \frac{\pi}{4} - \theta we have:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} I = \int_0^{\pi/4} \log \frac{2}{1 + \tan \theta} \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}\ln 2 - I \iff I = \frac{\pi}{8}\ln 2\end{equation*}

Extension to this, using the same idea, roughly - attempt 0π/2logsinθdθ\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \log \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

Am I on the right track?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459019805.450803.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Original post by Insight314
Am I on the right track?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459019805.450803.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You messed up your negative signs, you should get lnsinθdθ=lncosθdθlncosθdθ\int \ln \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \int \ln \cos \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta \neq -\int \ln \cos \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta with the limits from 00\, to π/2\pi/2 on each integral but I can't be arsed typesetting.

Then you should add both integrals to get 2I=ln(sinθcosθ)dθ2I = \int \ln (\sin \theta \cos \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta with the usual limits and then think about sin2θ\sin 2\theta.
Original post by Zacken
You messed up your negative signs, you should get lnsinθdθ=lncosθdθlncosθdθ\int \ln \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \int \ln \cos \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta \neq -\int \ln \cos \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta with the limits from 00\, to π/2\pi/2 on each integral but I can't be arsed typesetting.

Then you should add both integrals to get 2I=ln(sinθcosθ)dθ2I = \int \ln (\sin \theta \cos \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta with the usual limits and then think about sin2θ\sin 2\theta.

But doesn't the substitution change the limits from 0 to pi/2, to pi/2 to 0 so then I switch it by adding a negative sign.

I actually did it that way the first time I tried the integral but then I noticed that the substitution changes the limits.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459020827.107209.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
But doesn't the substitution change the limits from 0 to pi/2, to pi/2 to 0 so then I switch it by adding a negative sign.

I actually did it that way the first time I tried the integral but then I noticed that the substitution changes the limits.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459020827.107209.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes - but you forgot that u=π/2xu = \pi/2 - x adds in a factor of 1-1 since du/dx=1\mathrm{d}u/\mathrm{d}x = -1. This is why I would caution using the notation u=f(x)u = f(x) instead of xf(x)x \mapsto f(x) at this stage. You can use the fancy notation when you're more comfortable with everything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Yes - but you forgot that u=π/2xu = \pi/2 - x adds in a factor of 1-1 since du/dx=1\mathrm{d}u/\mathrm{d}x = -1.

Oh **** yes. Also, I remember that then you get an integral with ln 2 or something like that as integrand which is easy to calculate but the other integral with an integrand sin2θ\sin2\theta and then you do the same addition of 1/2 integral of cos + 1/2 integral of sin but with 2θ2\theta this time and then you continue ad infinitum. How does this simplify it? I can't find the workings out on this integral I did yesterday, so I might be wrong.
Reply 127
Oh **** yes. Also, I remember that then you get an integral with ln 2 or something like that as integrand which is easy to calculate but the other integral with an integrand sin2θ\sin2\theta and then you do the same addition of 1/2 integral of cos + 1/2 integral of sin but with 2θ2\theta this time and then you continue ad infinitum. How does this simplify it? I can't find the workings out on this integral I did yesterday, so I might be wrong.

2I=0π/2ln(12sin2θ)dθ=0π/2ln12dθ+0π/2lnsin2θdθ\displaystyle 2I = \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \left(\frac{1}{2} \sin 2\theta \right) \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \frac{1}{2} \, \mathrm{d}\theta + \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin 2\theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

But you want an II in there somewhere, so the sub u=2xu = 2x (xx2x \mapsto \frac{x}{2}) gets you that and some nice thinking about the symmetry of sine gets you the home run.
Original post by Zacken
2I=0π/2ln(12sin2θ)dθ=0π/2ln12dθ+0π/2lnsin2θdθ\displaystyle 2I = \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \left(\frac{1}{2} \sin 2\theta \right) \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \frac{1}{2} \, \mathrm{d}\theta + \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin 2\theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

But you want an II in there somewhere, so the sub u=2xu = 2x (xx2x \mapsto \frac{x}{2}) gets you that and some nice thinking about the symmetry of sine gets you the home run.

I got I=π3ln2I = -\frac{\pi}{3}\ln 2
Reply 129
I got I=π3ln2I = -\frac{\pi}{3}\ln 2

Haha, you're the third person to give me that incorrect answer since I've posted that problem.
Original post by Zacken
Haha, you're the third person to give me that incorrect answer since I've posted that problem.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459022053.729255.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131

The limits change after the sub u=2xu = 2x.
Original post by Zacken

We know that A    BA \implies B is a true statement literally every single time unless we have the case that AA is false and BB is true, we can rewrite this as: A    BA \implies B is a true statement unless ¬AB\neg A \wedge B.

:no: Look at some truth tables. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_table

The conditional connective, is false, if, and only if the premise is true but the conclusion is false.
Original post by Zacken
The limits change after the sub u=2xu = 2x.

And I did change them? Then I split the integral into limits consisting of 0 to π/20 \text{ to } \pi/2 each.
Reply 134
Original post by zetamcfc
:no: Look at some truth tables. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_table

The conditional connective, is false, if, and only if the premise is true but the conclusion is false.

:facepalm: That's what I meant, I'll edit that. Thanks. :colondollar:
Reply 135
And I did change them? Then I split the integral into limits consisting of 0 to π/20 \text{ to } \pi/2 each.

Oh, yes.

You seem to be saying that 0πlnsinudu=2×120π/2lnsinudu\int_0^{\pi} \ln \sin u \, \mathrm{d}u = 2 \times \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin u \, \mathrm{d}u.

You want to say that 0πlnsinudu=2II\int_0^{\pi} \ln \sin u \, \mathrm{d}u = 2I \neq I
Original post by Zacken
Oh, yes.

You seem to be saying that 0πlnsinudu=2×120π/2lnsinudu\int_0^{\pi} \ln \sin u \, \mathrm{d}u = 2 \times \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin u \, \mathrm{d}u.

You want to say that 0πlnsinudu=2II\int_0^{\pi} \ln \sin u \, \mathrm{d}u = 2I \neq I

u=2θdudθ=2, so dθ=12du u = 2\theta \Rightarrow \frac{du}{d\theta} = 2 \text{, so } d\theta = \frac{1}{2} du which is where this 1/2 comes from.
Reply 137
u=2θdudθ=2, so dθ=12du u = 2\theta \Rightarrow \frac{du}{d\theta} = 2 \text{, so } d\theta = \frac{1}{2} du which is where this 1/2 comes from.

But you multiplied the entire thing by 22 the line before.

We have 2I=π2ln2+120πlnsinu du2I = -\frac{\pi}{2} \ln 2 + \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{\pi} \ln \sin u \ \mathrm{d}u

You decided to multiply everything by 22 to get: 4I=πln2+0πlnsinudu4I = -\pi \ln 2 + \int_0^{\pi} \ln \sin u \, \mathrm{d}u.

But we know that the last term is 2I2I so 4I=πln2+2I    I=π2ln24I = -\pi \ln 2 + 2I \iff I = -\frac{\pi}{2}\ln 2
Original post by Zacken
But you multiplied the entire thing by 22 the line before.

We have 2I=π2ln2+120πlnsinu du2I = -\frac{\pi}{2} \ln 2 + \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{\pi} \ln \sin u \ \mathrm{d}u

You decided to multiply everything by 22 to get: 4I=πln2+0πlnsinudu4I = -\pi \ln 2 + \int_0^{\pi} \ln \sin u \, \mathrm{d}u.

But we know that the last term is 2I2I so 4I=πln2+2I    I=π2ln24I = -\pi \ln 2 + 2I \iff I = -\frac{\pi}{2}\ln 2

Oh yes, I saw my mistake. I think that was more of a silly mistake to be quite honest.

This was a really fun question, thanks a lot. :smile:
Reply 139
Oh yes, I saw my mistake. I think that was more of a silly mistake to be quite honest.

This was a really fun question, thanks a lot. :smile:

It was. :tongue:

No problem! I'll try and think up some more when I've got some free time on my hands. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest