The Student Room Group

Is it really possible to get 76% in exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kel_Med
I think he was going with, he got 100%.. so therefore other people can get 100%.. 100>76, so therefore it is possible

He just saved a considerable amount of time :smile:

They were with onine peer assessed assignments, and not lecturer marked essays however. I never tend to do very well in exams!
Reply 21
Original post by charlottehogan
I wasn't ignoring it and I didn't intend for it to come across that way, my bad!
I just meant that in first year my average was higher because I feel that they are not as critical. Sorry about the miscommunication! Thank you for your response :smile:

Don't worry I know what you meant :smile: I was just telling you to ignore me because I recognise that the latter years of a degree are significantly more difficult than 1st year, so my response isn't very helpful... good luck once again!
Original post by john2054
They were with onine peer assessed assignments, and not lecturer marked essays however. I never tend to do very well in exams!

Don't worry about it, I had friends who did poorly in exams and better in their courseworks but have changed that. It just takes learning a technique, picking up on your own personal faults and remaining calm in the exam!
It depends on the assessment type. I found things like presentations and essays were insanely tough to score higher the 75% on and a score in the 80s was rarely ever given. Tests with short answers and/or multiple choice elements were entirely possible to get full marks in. Several of us got full marks in some maths papers because they were quite straightforward and had no room for ambiguity, answers were either right or wrong.

It was weird initially, in school you get used to seeing 60% as a bad mark but at uni it turns out that 60 is okay and 70 is great.
Original post by Quilverine
It depends on the assessment type. I found things like presentations and essays were insanely tough to score higher the 75% on and a score in the 80s was rarely ever given. Tests with short answers and/or multiple choice elements were entirely possible to get full marks in. Several of us got full marks in some maths papers because they were quite straightforward and had no room for ambiguity, answers were either right or wrong.

It was weird initially, in school you get used to seeing 60% as a bad mark but at uni it turns out that 60 is okay and 70 is great.

yes 60 is a 2.1 and 70 is a first (top grade).
Yes, but I think above 70% then you start getting into dsicretionary and bonus marks for individuality.
Original post by Quilverine

My tests vary. Two are a variety of five questions and you can pick any and I'm choosing essays as I strangely find that they gain me higher marks and then the other two exams have sections with one mandatory essay and one mandatory problem question style therefore they are more restrictive but I'm going to practice my technique as best I can and learn more than two topics for each exam to maximise the potential of gaining 75%, albeit unlikely.
I like your take on the answers either being right or wrong and that being more straightforward as that's usually what frightens me about problem questions.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes, but I think above 70% then you start getting into dsicretionary and bonus marks for individuality.

Oh that's made me feel a little bit better better! I always receive positive comments for my work containing originality however this doesn't benefit me for the compulsory problem questions :frown:
Not on Law but is the same situation on my course. I got 74% in one of the Microbiology units, which even then landed me in third highest place out of 100. University is a tricky beast.
Oh that's made me feel a little bit better better! I always receive positive comments for my work containing originality however this doesn't benefit me for the compulsory problem questions :frown:

Then you have to be sharper, present arguments other people dont see, quote bits of judgments other people cant remember, it just has to be that extra bit poliches to get those extra marks if you can. Talk to your lecturers.
Original post by spleenharvester
Not on Law but is the same situation on my course. I got 74% in one of the Microbiology units, which even then landed me in third highest place out of 100. University is a tricky beast.

I second that last line! Oh well, I knew that I was being overly optimistic. I'll still try my best nonetheless but with a more realistic expectation!

Getting the right answer is important, but so is originality, especially at undergraduate level!
Original post by 999tigger
Then you have to be sharper, present arguments other people dont see, quote bits of judgments other people cant remember, it just has to be that extra bit poliches to get those extra marks if you can. Talk to your lecturers.

you're right, it's not all doom and gloom I'm well aware that I can improve on problem questions. I self doubt so much that sometimes I tend to sit on the fence in them but perhaps if I present a more compelling argument toward a certain direction whilst giving recognition to the other that I can improve. I am definitely going to arrange meetings with my lecturers. Thanks very much!
It's definitely possible, but it depends on the subject how likely it is though.

Science subjects - pretty likely.

Humanities - still possible, but the higher you go the rarer it is, I think the highest mark anyone has ever got on my course is 91%
Original post by LiquidGold
It's definitely possible, but it depends on the subject how likely it is though.

Science subjects - pretty likely.

Humanities - still possible, but the higher you go the rarer it is, I think the highest mark anyone has ever got on my course is 91%

With it being law I knew that I was being too hopeful haha. I was just attempting to work out how feasible a first would be but either way I've pretty much secured a 2:1 so I'm delighted anyway. Fingers crossed it that it pays off!
Thanks for your response :smile:
With it being law I knew that I was being too hopeful haha. I was just attempting to work out how feasible a first would be but either way I've pretty much secured a 2:1 so I'm delighted anyway. Fingers crossed it that it pays off!
Thanks for your response :smile:

Oooh sorry didnt realise this was in the law section!

Good luck, yeh getting a 2:1 is the main thing!
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Not in Law. For all intents and purposes, 80% is the highest you can generally speaking get.

Anything above 70 is really hard to get in black letter law modules.

Actually, two of my friends got above 80% in every Law exam they sat, and they got some sort of special award for it. So it is possible.

Although I didn't break 80% in my Law exams, I did come very close in a few, and also managed to get above 80% in my coursework. I just messed up with time management in the exams, it's always been my downfall. :facepalm:
Reply 37
Original post by XaraPandaPop
Actually, two of my friends got above 80% in every Law exam they sat, and they got some sort of special award for it. So it is possible.

Although I didn't break 80% in my Law exams, I did come very close in a few, and also managed to get above 80% in my coursework. I just messed up with time management in the exams, it's always been my downfall. :facepalm:

What unis? 78 is the absolute highest I've seen in my uni (and that was in an exemplary answer lol). -referring to exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
What unis? 78 is the absolute highest I've seen in my uni (and that was in an exemplary answer lol). -referring to exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're all at Sussex, although we've all graduated now and I've stayed to do the LL.M., so the marking/grade boundaries differ for me now. Where do you go?
Reply 39
Original post by XaraPandaPop
We're all at Sussex, although we've all graduated now and I've stayed to do the LL.M., so the marking/grade boundaries differ for me now. Where do you go?

Ah I see. How's the LLM?

I'm at Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending