The Student Room Group

Safer out of the EU!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
There isn't a huge threat? what the hell are you talking about? You are actually undermining lives and the importance of these attacks. They are becoming more common, the way things are going I would expect many more similar attacks and i'm sure if you or those close to you get caught up in one then it will become a much larger threat. You seriously have no argument and are endangering the lives of millions just because you can't admit there is a big threat that would be reduced by leaving. Seriously the remain camp either scaremonger or reduce the impact of an event that we should actually be cautious about. Seriously can't believe I just saw what you posted, I'm actually terrified that people like you help determine the outcome of such an important vote.

Over 2000 people were killed during the "Troubles" in Northern Ireland and the rest of Britain when terrorists tried to force the UK government to let NI join the Irish Republic. Its didn't work because we do not give in to terrorists.

Are you saying we should be railroaded into a decision to leave the EU because of terrorists even though leaving the EU would do nothing to make the UK any safer because ISIS don't give a monkey's ass about whether the UK is in the EU or not?
Reply 41
Original post by TercioOfParma
Then how did they get their weapons? I can accept that much of the issue is homegrown (although Cologne is more migrants) but I don't think its as easy to manufacture weapons in paris as it is to move them in from the middle east.

All sorts of stuff get smuggled everywhere including weapons.
Then how did they get their weapons? I can accept that much of the issue is homegrown (although Cologne is more migrants) but I don't think its as easy to manufacture weapons in paris as it is to move them in from the middle east.

What gives you that idea? To bring weapons from the ME they'd need to go through layers and layers of security designed specifically to stop people doing that.

If they manufactured them in Paris they'd need to go through no security at all.
Original post by sdotd
These terrorists have been travelling across the EU due to free movement of people

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you? The leader of the Brussels attacks was born and lived his whole life in Brussels.
Original post by Maker
All sorts of stuff get smuggled everywhere including weapons.

Yes, and the EU makes it easier. Have you ever crossed the France belgium border? Have you noticed how there is literally no checks?

Original post by JordanL_
What gives you that idea? To bring weapons from the ME they'd need to go through layers and layers of security designed specifically to stop people doing that.

If they manufactured them in Paris they'd need to go through no security at all.

Have you heard of schengen? They don't have to go by plane you know.
Yes, and the EU makes it easier. Have you ever crossed the France belgium border? Have you noticed how there is literally no checks?

Schengen applies to EU countries. The Middle-East isn't in the EU.
Schengen applies to EU countries. The Middle-East isn't in the EU.

Yes, but we all know how much Italy and Greece are being overwhelmed by thousands upon thousands of refugees a week, which are.
Yes, but we all know how much Italy and Greece are being overwhelmed by thousands upon thousands of refugees a week, which are.

But..... refugees are entering the EU, so they have to go through exactly the same security as anyone else entering the EU.
But..... refugees are entering the EU, so they have to go through exactly the same security as anyone else entering the EU.

Except when they land on a random beach in the middle of bum**** nowhere. Not all the coasts in the EU are monitored.

Also, from what I have heard, the checks are being so swamped by the refugees that they have been forced to speed up checks, which means they miss stuff more often.
Except when they land on a random beach in the middle of bum**** nowhere. Not all the coasts in the EU are monitored.

Also, from what I have heard, the checks are being so swamped by the refugees that they have been forced to speed up checks, which means they miss stuff more often.

If people are going to illegally land on an unmonitored beach, they can do that whether we're in the EU or not.

Britain is an island you realize?
If people are going to illegally land on an unmonitored beach, they can do that whether we're in the EU or not.

Britain is an island you realize?

Yes, but we would likely be better off if we had our navy in our territorial waters rather than patroling the aegen we would be able to stop more of this.

In addition, we aren't close to active warzones unlike Greece and Italy.
Yes, but we would likely be better off if we had our navy in our territorial waters rather than patroling the aegen we would be able to stop more of this.

Anyone that wants to smuggle weapons across Europe needs to get into Greece or Italy, and then get across the entire continent, and then get either a ferry or a train (where they would go through security). It would be easier to build a raft and sail here. Leaving the EU wouldn't even prevent this, because the security that terrorists need to go through to get from mainland Europe to the UK wouldn't change.

I don't understand your point about the Navy - how does being in the EU prevent our Navy patrolling our waters?
Anyone that wants to smuggle weapons across Europe needs to get into Greece or Italy, and then get across the entire continent, and then get either a ferry or a train (where they would go through security). It would be easier to build a raft and sail here. Leaving the EU wouldn't even prevent this, because the security that terrorists need to go through to get from mainland Europe to the UK wouldn't change.

I don't understand your point about the Navy - how does being in the EU prevent our Navy patrolling our waters?

You are aware that the atlantic and north sea make the Mediterranean look like a pond right? There is a reason why it took us until the 11th century to cross to america and even then it was via Iceland and Greenland's coast.

Also, a lot of the ferry security is pretty bad, I am not sure if you have ever been on P&O from Dover.

You do realise they make weapons in Belgium and France.

If you have money then you can get what you want within reason.

Eastern Europe, middle east, Libya are all sources of incredibly cheap weapons.

The main weapon though are bombs and you can make those with know how and freely available ingredients. Isis are the best financed terror organisation the world has known, so whether we are in or out of the EU we will still be a target.
Reply 54

There are no checks because checks are useless for finding one car carrying weapons amongst thousands of cars and lorries that cross EU borders every day. You have to search every car and lorry and that will never happen because it would cause traffic queues miles long.

The navy (what we have left) is more importantly carrying out its duties as a member of Nato.
Original post by Maker
There are no checks because checks are useless for finding one car carrying weapons amongst thousands of cars and lorries that cross EU borders every day. You have to search every car and lorry and that will never happen because it would cause traffic queues miles long.

Why not just do a gigantic scan of the whole car like at airports, sure it would be expensive but it would find things. Yeah it would take a while but it would certainly signifcantly hurt the chances of illegal weapons making their way into the country.

Original post by 999tigger
You do realise they make weapons in Belgium and France.

If you have money then you can get what you want within reason.

Eastern Europe, middle east, Libya are all sources of incredibly cheap weapons.

The main weapon though are bombs and you can make those with know how and freely available ingredients. Isis are the best financed terror organisation the world has known, so whether we are in or out of the EU we will still be a target.

Yes, but is very hard without importing certain materials. It is quite difficult and requires expensive tools to manufacture kalashnikovs and ammunition. The components trading, especially of ammunition, are watched like hawks by the government. Sure, I am not saying we can just stop all illegal firearms, but leaving the EU and keeping a strong prescense on our borders would certainly stop a significant amount getting in.

As for bombs, the terrorists are starting to realise that guns are way more effective at killing. Look at the belgium attacks kills vs the paris attacks killing, terrorists are noticing the same thing.
Original post by 999tigger
The navy (what we have left) is more importantly carrying out its duties as a member of Nato.

There is at least one Royal navy vessel to deal with the migrant crisis.

Yes, but is very hard without importing certain materials. It is quite difficult and requires expensive tools to manufacture kalashnikovs and ammunition. The components trading, especially of ammunition, are watched like hawks by the government. Sure, I am not saying we can just stop all illegal firearms, but leaving the EU and keeping a strong prescense on our borders would certainly stop a significant amount getting in.

As for bombs, the terrorists are starting to realise that guns are way more effective at killing. Look at the belgium attacks kills vs the paris attacks killing, terrorists are noticing the same thing.

If you have enough money people will smuggle you anything. Bombs dont even have to be that big to cause terror and then ofc there are other ways if you were so inclined to creat casulaties, such as using a vehicle.

We are already in charge of our own customs, so leaving would make no difference. We could already have more people on norders except we have cut them.

Guns or bombs it doesnt matter the idea is to use whats at hand and to create terror.
There is at least one Royal navy vessel to deal with the migrant crisis.

And thats going to make us safe?

We are on the security council, we are a leading nation whose interests lie in international trade and peace. We have a humanitarian and financial interest in playing a part.

Quick Reply

Latest