The Student Room Group

Ultimate Getting Into Oxbridge Advice Thread !

Hi boys.

I've been thinking about making this thread for a while, wanted to give back to the community after enjoying a considerable amount of success. A little about me, I graduated last year from Morton College, Oxford with a First Class degree in History, my dissertation focused on Janus and his significance in Roman culture. Anyway, I'm going to give a couple of major tips for aceing the interview and just generally improving your chances of getting an offer.

1) One of the biggest tips for the interviews is to read your personal statement again. They will almost certainly ask you questions about the books/authors/theories that you mentioned in your PS. Be prepared for this. So of course, don't lie, and make sure you've read everything you've mentioned! .

2) Instead of applying to just one of our most prestigious universities, why not apply to both? I mean think about it, if you only apply to one, you only have a 50% chance of getting in, because that's 1 out of 2 whereas if you apply to both (50%+50%=100), you're guaranteed to secure an offer. Now I'm no mathematician but that sure sounds like good odds to me!

3) Speak loudly and clearly, this exudes confidence and makes you appear an attractive candidate. You want to be aiming at least 75 decibels. Once you're getting to the big eight zero you're really going to be in the pink. Invest in a hand-held Sound Level Meter (you can get one from Maplin.com for just £49.99) and practice at home to get those noise-levels at exactly the right level. Perfect!

4) In the interview, confidence is key! Don't be shy - go into incredibly descriptive detail about very intimate moments in your personal life. This makes you appear "more human", and the professors definitely won't look at you as if you are just another bland interviewee. But don't get too sidetracked - always relate your stories back to the subject you are applying for. As a quick example, one of my Oxford friends broke down in his interview and confessed to the murder of several political opponents. He then used this as a stepping stone to discuss the ethics of killing and the state of our justice system. The next week he received an offer to read Philosophy. Wow!

5) Last tip for now, at the end of the interview, don't be afraid to ask any general questions you might have. Are there specific modules related to X available? Which libraries are available to study in for students? Where am I? Where did I sleep last night? Oh god oh god why won't the pain end? What are the catering facilities like?

Anyway, that's all for now - good luck to all applicants !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it not Merton not Morton?
Original post by Tabstercat
Hi boys.

I've been thinking about making this thread for a while, wanted to give back to the community after enjoying a considerable amount of success. A little about me, I graduated last year from Morton College, Oxford with a First Class degree in History, my dissertation focused on Janus and his significance in Roman culture. Anyway, I'm going to give a couple of major tips for aceing the interview and just generally improving your chances of getting an offer.

1) One of the biggest tips for the interviews is to read your personal statement again. They will almost certainly ask you questions about the books/authors/theories that you mentioned in your PS. Be prepared for this. So of course, don't lie, and make sure you've read everything you've mentioned! .

2) Instead of applying to just one of our most prestigious universities, why not apply to both? I mean think about it, if you only apply to one, you only have a 50% chance of getting in, because that's 1 out of 2 whereas if you apply to both (50%+50%=100), you're guaranteed to secure an offer. Now I'm no mathematician but that sure sounds like good odds to me!

3) Speak loudly and clearly, this exudes confidence and makes you appear an attractive candidate. You want to be aiming at least 75 decibels. Once you're getting to the big eight zero you're really going to be in the pink. Invest in a hand-held Sound Level Meter (you can get one from Maplin.com for just £49.99) and practice at home to get those noise-levels at exactly the right level. Perfect!

4) In the interview, confidence is key! Don't be shy - go into incredibly descriptive detail about very intimate moments in your personal life. This makes you appear "more human", and the professors definitely won't look at you as if you are just another bland interviewee. But don't get too sidetracked - always relate your stories back to the subject you are applying for. As a quick example, one of my Oxford friends broke down in his interview and confessed to the murder of several political opponents. He then used this as a stepping stone to discuss the ethics of killing and the state of our justice system. The next week he received an offer to read Philosophy. Wow!

5) Last tip for now, at the end of the interview, don't be afraid to ask any general questions you might have. Are there specific modules related to X available? Which libraries are available to study in for students? Where am I? Where did I sleep last night? Oh god oh god why won't the pain end? What are the catering facilities like?

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Thomb
Is it not Merton not Morton?

Sorry, think I know the name of my own college thank you very much!
Reply 4
Hi boys.

Hey, well done in getting a first from Oxford, that is amazing!
Quick question, where you mention applying to both universities, do you mean applying to both Cambridge and Oxford?
Or do you mean applying to two of the colleges within Oxford?

Thank you x
Answering some of the interview questions in an operatic singing voice was what clinched a place for me.
Pretty much what I did at my Cambridge interview.

True story.
Clearly a troll.
Morton College, Oxford

There is no such thing as "Morton College"! Everyone knows that Oxford and Cambridge are the two colleges the University of Oxbridge, certainly not separate universities in their own right.
x

Hey! I'm actually a second year history student at Oxford and was wondering if you have any tips on getting a first? Congratulations, and thanks in advance!
Reply 9
Original post by colourtheory
Hey! I'm actually a second year history student at Oxford and was wondering if you have any tips on getting a first? Congratulations, and thanks in advance!

lol
Dude April 1st is gone. :biggrin:
Original post by alow
lol

First Class c*nt
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Hey, well done in getting a first from Oxford, that is amazing!
Quick question, where you mention applying to both universities, do you mean applying to both Cambridge and Oxford?
Or do you mean applying to two of the colleges within Oxford?

Thank you x

what I mean is to apply to EVERY college of BOTH universities
this will massively increase your chances
no problem x
It is open to the public, you can just walk in.
what I mean is to apply to EVERY college of BOTH universities
this will massively increase your chances
no problem x

um how can you do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
um how can you do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly as i said
Original post by sweeneyrod
Clearly a troll.

There is no such thing as "Morton College"! Everyone knows that Oxford and Cambridge are the two colleges the University of Oxbridge, certainly not separate universities in their own right.

Actually, Oxbridge is a collective name for the University of Cambridge and University of Oxford, they are separate universities in different cities - Oxford and Cambridge, 2 hours from each other. These unis are collegiate universities, so when you go to one of the unis you get selected into a college which is were your accommodation is and social events and other stuff. Merton College is one of these colleges in Oxford. Get it?
Original post by Bonnie 99
Actually, Oxbridge is a collective name for the University of Cambridge and University of Oxford, they are separate universities in different cities - Oxford and Cambridge, 2 hours from each other. These unis are collegiate universities, so when you go to one of the unis you get selected into a college which is were your accommodation is and social events and other stuff. Merton College is one of these colleges in Oxford. Get it?

No offence, but you must be American or something. Every Britisher knows that Oxbridge is one university. I bet you don't even think it's in London!
Original post by sweeneyrod
No offence, but you must be American or something. Every Britisher knows that Oxbridge is one university. I bet you don't even think it's in London!

You must be ridiculous! Look it up on wikipedia and stop trolling! They're separate universities in Oxford and Cambridhe. I have lived in England all my life AND my sister went to Cambridge and my family friend to Oxford I visited them both and they were NOT in London!

Quick Reply

Latest