The Student Room Group

Medicine - HELP!

Hello,

I'm in S4 at the moment and I have a couple of questions about getting into med school.

Recently I've wanted to go into medicine, However I think I'm missing a key subject.

My current S4 subjects are:
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
English
Modern Studies
History
Computing Science

I have picked the following subjects to take on into S5:
Chemistry
Physics
History
Maths
English

I believe Biology is required by most medical schools in Scotland right?

My questions are:

1) Will it be acceptable for me to Crash Higher Biology in S6?

2) Will I be disadvantaged in anyway for not doing Advanced Higher Biology?

3) Also what 2 AHs should I take alongside with crashing higher biology?

Unfortunately my school doesn't let me do crash highers in S5. Only in S6.

So yeah....

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Yeah

Not really

Whatever you enjoy

Just force them to let you crash it. I done it in s5.
Reply 2
Original post by Pennyarcade
Yeah

Not really

Whatever you enjoy

Just force them to let you crash it. I done it in s5.

I can't :/ I've already asked and unfortunately no.

But thanks for everything else :biggrin:
Original post by Jay431
I can't :/ I've already asked and unfortunately no.

But thanks for everything else :biggrin:

Get your mummy in to talk to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Get your mummy in to talk to them

I never thought of that, actually.
Your plan will work, I know someone who has crashed higher chemistry in S6 and has medicine offers. You need to explain to your school that you NEED this qualification and that they have to let you take it at some point, push hard enough and you will be able to hopefully crash it in S5.

But if all else fails, you might not need biology to get in. I have an offer from Aberdeen and have AAAAB (Chemistry - A, Biology - A, History - A, English - A, Maths - B) proving you don't even need 5A's. Anyway it says on Aberdeens website;

"AAAAB from five full academic courses to be taken at one sitting; from Highers and Advanced Highers. Chemistry is required, plus two from Biology/Human Biology Mathematics and Physics plus two other subjects"

So it says that Chemistry is a requirement, but you can have ANY two from Biology, Maths or Physics.
Reply 6
Original post by Zain-A
Your plan will work, I know someone who has crashed higher chemistry in S6 and has medicine offers. You need to explain to your school that you NEED this qualification and that they have to let you take it at some point, push hard enough and you will be able to hopefully crash it in S5.

But if all else fails, you might not need biology to get in. I have an offer from Aberdeen and have AAAAB (Chemistry - A, Biology - A, History - A, English - A, Maths - B) proving you don't even need 5A's. Anyway it says on Aberdeens website;

"AAAAB from five full academic courses to be taken at one sitting; from Highers and Advanced Highers. Chemistry is required, plus two from Biology/Human Biology Mathematics and Physics plus two other subjects"

So it says that Chemistry is a requirement, but you can have ANY two from Biology, Maths or Physics.

Wow congrats on the offer!

I live in Aberdeen and want to do medicine hopefully.

Really nervous about the interview. Any advice? What was your ukcat score and what kinda things you mention specifically in your personal statement?

What is your offer for s6 to get in? Lastly if its ok, what grades you achieve at nat 5? I hope you meet your conditions and am sure you will!

Any advice would be highly appreciative especially because I suck at interviews.
Reply 7
Original post by Zain-A

I've done my subject choices and it's too late now. The school have already said that I can only crash subjects in S6, However I'm gonna ask once more come Tuesday.

Wait does Aberdeen require 3 AH? Or just 2 plus a higher?
Original post by Jeff548
Wow congrats on the offer!

I live in Aberdeen and want to do medicine hopefully.

Really nervous about the interview. Any advice? What was your ukcat score and what kinda things you mention specifically in your personal statement?

What is your offer for s6 to get in? Lastly if its ok, what grades you achieve at nat 5? I hope you meet your conditions and am sure you will!

Any advice would be highly appreciative especially because I suck at interviews.

Ok, so firstly for my Nat 5's I had 7A's and a B

Maths - A
English - A
History - A
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Graphic Communication - A
French - B

I honestly don't know how much these grades factor in to the admission process so I don't know how important they are. Don't worry if your school didn't make you take 8 Nat 5's, this was standard for our school when I did it because they had no idea what they were doing. Our school now only does 6 or 7 Nat 5s.

My offer is 2B's in my Advanced Highers ( AH Bio and AH Chem) and a B at any Higher. This year I am doing AH bio, AH Chem, Higher Physics and Higher Modern Studies.

My UKCAT was 2550, fairly low/average, nothing special. The test is a bitch, I would recommend medify to study, its expensive but good, its a website so it has the same layout as the actual test. Don't buy the 600UKCAT book, its ****.

Right now worry about getting some relevant work experience and volunteering. I did a couple days (maybe 7-10 days spread over a couple months) in my GPs office just shadowing him and 3 days in general surgery. It can be quite hard to organise but keep pestering people and usually the NHS local boards have someone organising these types of things so ask your school what they know. Also focus on exams and UKCAT. Worry about personal statement and interviews after. PM me closer to the time and I can give you a hand.

Any other Qs?
Original post by Jay431
I've done my subject choices and it's too late now. The school have already said that I can only crash subjects in S6, However I'm gonna ask once more come Tuesday.

Wait does Aberdeen require 3 AH? Or just 2 plus a higher?

My conditional is on 2AH and 1H, but I did take 2AH and 2H's this year.

Don't worry about it too much though, its perfectly ok to not even take biology at all, so crashing it in S6 should be fine!!
Reply 10
Original post by Zain-A
Ok, so firstly for my Nat 5's I had 7A's and a B

Maths - A
English - A
History - A
Physics - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Graphic Communication - A
French - B

I honestly don't know how much these grades factor in to the admission process so I don't know how important they are. Don't worry if your school didn't make you take 8 Nat 5's, this was standard for our school when I did it because they had no idea what they were doing. Our school now only does 6 or 7 Nat 5s.

My offer is 2B's in my Advanced Highers ( AH Bio and AH Chem) and a B at any Higher. This year I am doing AH bio, AH Chem, Higher Physics and Higher Modern Studies.

My UKCAT was 2550, fairly low/average, nothing special. The test is a bitch, I would recommend medify to study, its expensive but good, its a website so it has the same layout as the actual test. Don't buy the 600UKCAT book, its ****.

Right now worry about getting some relevant work experience and volunteering. I did a couple days (maybe 7-10 days spread over a couple months) in my GPs office just shadowing him and 3 days in general surgery. It can be quite hard to organise but keep pestering people and usually the NHS local boards have someone organising these types of things so ask your school what they know. Also focus on exams and UKCAT. Worry about personal statement and interviews after. PM me closer to the time and I can give you a hand.

Any other Qs?

Oh my god you are so helpful! Thanks so much :smile: I can see exactly why you got in!!!

Yeah I did 8 nat5 subjects, glad to say I got 8A's but didn't deserve them imo because that was the biggest fluke of my life.

I have selected AH Bio, AH Chem and AH Maths for next year. Does this seem too much?

I would honestly love that if I could get your help nearer the time?

Lastly, would it be ok if I saw your personal statement? Just to get an idea (pm if you want). If not, I understand :smile:

Good luck meeting your condition and I have full faith that you will get in and congratulations once again!!!
Original post by Jeff548
Oh my god you are so helpful! Thanks so much :smile: I can see exactly why you got in!!!

Yeah I did 8 nat5 subjects, glad to say I got 8A's but didn't deserve them imo because that was the biggest fluke of my life.

I have selected AH Bio, AH Chem and AH Maths for next year. Does this seem too much?

Lastly, would it be ok if I saw your personal statement? Just to get an idea (pm if you want). If not, I understand :smile:

Good luck meeting your condition and I have full faith that you will get in and congratulations once again!!!

There's proper tonnes of medics on SQ now. I'm sure we will all look at personal statements and stuff.

Nah those subjects aren't too much, you'll probably find it an easier year than s5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeff548

What grades and subjects ya got for s5? (*EDIT* I'm an idiot, you haven't sat your s5 exams yet so dont have grades yet hahaha ignore me) And those subjects are pretty standard for most medics so good choice. Honestly the AH chem and Bio is NOT hard at all! I've just slacked off all year and am feeling it now. Please please please if you want to make life easy work and study from day 1. Much easier than doing it 1 month before!! I've heard that AH maths is very very difficult but I haven't done it so can't say.

There's proper tonnes of medics on SQ now. I'm sure we will all look at personal statements and stuff.

Nah those subjects aren't too much, you'll probably find it an easier year than s5

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah he is right, penny and askle helped me out a lot with any questions I had (cheers btw).So don't hesitate to ask anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Zain-A
What grades and subjects ya got for s5? (*EDIT* I'm an idiot, you haven't sat your s5 exams yet so dont have grades yet hahaha ignore me) And those subjects are pretty standard for most medics so good choice. Honestly the AH chem and Bio is NOT hard at all! I've just slacked off all year and am feeling it now. Please please please if you want to make life easy work and study from day 1. Much easier than doing it 1 month before!! I've heard that AH maths is very very difficult but I haven't done it so can't say.

Yeah he is right, penny and askle helped me out a lot with any questions I had (cheers btw).So don't hesitate to ask anything.

Here, thanks so much mate!

Wait, penny and asklepios are medical students???!?!?!?!??! So they would be able to help me?

Asklepios does and I appreciate very much.

Honestly, would you actually help me if I had questions nearer the time of a hopeful medicine interview?

Lastly, are you religious? If so, what religion out of curiosity?

I am just worried and confused because on tsr people get offers with 4a and 1B. I read about someone the other day with 8A's at nat5, and 6A 1's and got 4/4 rejections. Like how does this work!?! I do think you deserve your place but I don't see how it works :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Zain-A
My conditional is on 2AH and 1H, but I did take 2AH and 2H's this year.

Don't worry about it too much though, its perfectly ok to not even take biology at all, so crashing it in S6 should be fine!!

Does conditional mean that you will get in if you achieve those grades?

Thanks anyway! I was a little worried. I was also looking to apply in Aberdeen or Glasgow.
I'm actually in a similar situation as well.

I too am missing Biology.

So it is acceptable to crash it in S6 then?
Original post by Jeff548

Wait, penny and asklepios are medical students???!?!?!?!??! So they would be able to help me?

Honestly, would you actually help me if I had questions nearer the time of a hopeful medicine interview?

I am just worried and confused because on tsr people get offers with 4a and 1B. I read about someone the other day with 8A's at nat5, and 6A 1's and got 4/4 rejections. Like how does this work!?! I do think you deserve your place but I don't see how it works :frown:

They could have been rejected from interview because they had no personality. I don't know. Honestly I got rejected from everywhere with no interview and aberdeen gave me an interview because they always interview about 800 people for 150 places, which is way more than most uni's. So I was already very very low in the "pecking order" so to speak. I met a guy wit 5A's, private school educated, parents are doctors etc etc at my interview and I got an offer and he did not. We were both South Asian so I do not think any race equality BS got me in.

I honestly think I just walked my interview, by the end of it I was joking and laughing at the last station with my interviewer and actor, and the other candidates were just watching me like wtf. Basically I was just myself and made an impression and got the offer.

Long story short, grades get you an interview, and the interview gets you a place.

Why do you want to know my religion? And yes I will answer any Qs you have anytime.
Original post by Jay431
Does conditional mean that you will get in if you achieve those grades?

Thanks anyway! I was a little worried. I was also looking to apply in Aberdeen or Glasgow.

Yes that is what conditional means
Original post by Jeff548

Aye, I am. They say I'm the most helpful, handsome and all round best med student on this section.

Your ukcat basically decides if you get in or not, so ignore the stories.

I'll answer whatever Q's about medical school you want. I'd just prefer you did it here rather than PM so lurkers can see too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Aye, I am. They say I'm the most helpful, handsome and all round best med student on this section.

Your ukcat basically decides if you get in or not, so ignore the stories.

I'll answer whatever Q's about medical school you want. I'd just prefer you did it here rather than PM so lurkers can see too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahaha got it! :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending