The Student Room Group

LSE, UCL, and Durham

Hi, I apologise for creating another one of these threads - I have looked at previous posts.

Really struggling to make a firm choice out of these three uni's, as each appear to have their own equal merits and faults.

Durham - Most picturesque, cheapest, 3 year college accommodation, catered, most prominent 'uni vibe'. BUT: supposedly worst reputation, long travel times, isolated, felt less buzzing on the visit day (personal opinion).

UCL - Amazing law society, most social looking, I like bloomsbury, easy transport access, good career links to IB and law, nice library, nicest law faculty. BUT: not quite lse's reputation, expensive, 1 year accommodation,

LSE - Best reputation, again I like the location, easy transport, some amazing accommodation. BUT: expensive, appeared the least social, 1 year accommodation, dispersed law faculty, comparatively inactive law society.

Could anyone please add / disagree / help differentiating the uni's.
Much Appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LSE and UCL are about the same for law.
Durham has the most prominent uni vibe but was less buzzing. How do work that one out?

They're all very strong courses. Go where you'll be happiest.
Hi,

First of all, I don't have connections with any of the three universities. I also don't have a law degree, so my comments come from a layman.

I think that you should go to LSE. This is because, as you have written, LSE has the best reputation. You can be confident to acquire a fantastic education there. The connections that you will make within the school and outside the wider London area may benefit your law career.

I understand that LSE and London can be very expensive. If you think that you cannot afford the high costs, then choose Durham. There is nothing wrong with Durham or UCL. They are both great universities, but I think LSE comes top in this context.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 4
I've heard some people really hate LSE and durham would be too far for me too so UCL
Reply 5
Original post by Sandor Clegane
Durham has the most prominent uni vibe but was less buzzing. How do work that one out?

They're all very strong courses. Go where you'll be happiest.

I suppose definitions of 'buzzing' and 'uni vibe' are probably different for most people.

What I mean is Durham had the highest proportion of students compared to general public, and by living in colleges I think get a 'uni vibe'.
By buzzing I sort of refer to how lively everyone / the surroundings appear. I find the pubs, cafes, and streets around ucl to be exactly like that.
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
Hi,

First of all, I don't have connections with any of the three universities. I also don't have a law degree, so my comments come from a layman.

I think that you should go to LSE. This is because, as you have written, LSE has the best reputation. You can be confident to acquire a fantastic education there. The connections that you will make within the school and outside the wider London area may benefit your law career.

I understand that LSE and London can be very expensive. If you think that you cannot afford the high costs, then choose Durham. There is nothing wrong with Durham or UCL. They are both great universities, but I think LSE comes top in this context.

Hi, thanks I appreciate your post. This is the dilemma really, it does have the best reputation and I probably do weight that the most. But as ryn_ptrs says, I have also heard a lot of people are very dissatisfied with lse and the social life there.
I have no idea where you got the idea that Durham is worse than UCL and LSE for law. It's above both of them in the league tables and the law school at Durham is very very reputable.

That said, there are many other considerations as you say :smile:
Original post by guest115
Hi, thanks I appreciate your post. This is the dilemma really, it does have the best reputation and I probably do weight that the most. But as ryn_ptrs says, I have also heard a lot of people are very dissatisfied with lse and the social life there.

Hi,

All Universities are very good and you cannot go wrong picking any one.

I agree that social life is important, but sometimes one must make certain compromises. Besides, you may meet other students from other UoL colleges, such as UCL, Kings, SoAS etc., and become friends with them. I am not saying that you should forsake your happiness because of academics.

In London, I don't think that you will have a completely rubbish social life because it is London. There are other things to do and other people to meet. I know people, who studied at UCL and had friends at LSE and Kings.

In the end, if you feel that having a good social life is important, you may have to choose UCL because it is a bigger university based on numbers and you have already pointed out that you like the "atmosphere" there.

Finally, I think that UCL vs LSE discussions are often subjective and you may not experience them the same way as other people.

Reply 9
Original post by Supersaps
I have no idea where you got the idea that Durham is worse than UCL and LSE for law. It's above both of them in the league tables and the law school at Durham is very very reputable.

Hi, league tables give some wacky results - I know the guardian table says QMUL are above lse, ucl and durham. I mainly base what I say about reputation from employer statistics.

For example, aside from oxbridge, UCL has the largest number of students working at US law firms in london, followed by lse (despite low student population).
For IB the gulf between durham and ucl+lse is even bigger.
Reply 10
Hi,

All Universities are very good and you cannot go wrong picking any one.

I agree that social life is important, but sometimes one must make certain compromises. Besides, you may meet other students from other UoL colleges, such as UCL, Kings, SoAS etc., and become friends with them. I am not saying that you should forsake your happiness because of academics.

In London, I don't think that you will have a completely rubbish social life because it is London. There are other things to do and other people to meet. I know people, who studied at UCL and had friends at LSE and Kings.

In the end, if you feel that having a good social life is important, you may have to choose UCL because it is a bigger university based on numbers and you have already pointed out that you like the "atmosphere" there.

Finally, I think that UCL vs LSE discussions are often subjective and you may not experience them the same way as other people.

Thanks for the response. Is LSE's reputation that much better compared to ucl to make a compromise over social life though?
Hi, I apologise for creating another one of these threads - I have looked at previous posts.

Really struggling to make a firm choice out of these three uni's, as each appear to have their own equal merits and faults.

Durham - Most picturesque, cheapest, 3 year college accommodation, catered, most prominent 'uni vibe'. BUT: supposedly worst reputation, long travel times, isolated, felt less buzzing on the visit day (personal opinion).

UCL - Amazing law society, most social looking, I like bloomsbury, easy transport access, good career links to IB and law, nice library, nicest law faculty. BUT: not quite lse's reputation, expensive, 1 year accommodation,

LSE - Best reputation, again I like the location, easy transport, some amazing accommodation. BUT: expensive, appeared the least social, 1 year accommodation, dispersed law faculty, comparatively inactive law society.

Could anyone please add / disagree / help differentiating the uni's.
Much Appreciated

For lifetime career prospects, LSE > UCL > Durham
Reply 12
Original post by Gucci Mane.
For lifetime career prospects, LSE > UCL > Durham

I wonder how big the '>' is though between the unis?
Thanks for the response. Is LSE's reputation that much better compared to ucl to make a compromise over social life though?

No, I don't think so. They are both comparable. It is difficult. Sorry that I cannot help.

Good luck.

You have no idea because you have no idea about law. If you don't know about something, don't offer your opinion on it.

Thanks.
I wonder how big the '>' is though between the unis?

In UK, LSE is viewed roughly equally to UCL, but overall LSE nudges ahead because it has the stronger overall repuation (across all courses) & international reputation.

There is quite a big gap between Durham and LSE & UCL.
Original post by Sandor Clegane
You have no idea because you have no idea about law. If you don't know about something, don't offer your opinion on it.

Thanks.

Hmmm, 2 members of my close family have law degrees. I have several friends that have graduated in law and are now working in law firms.

Kindly STFU.
Reply 17
No, I don't think so. They are both comparable. It is difficult. Sorry that I cannot help.

Good luck.

No I appreciate it, everything people say is a help - its always gonna be difficult
Reply 18
Original post by Gucci Mane.
In UK, LSE is viewed roughly equally to UCL, but overall LSE nudges ahead because it has the stronger overall repuation (across all courses) & international reputation.

There is quite a big gap between Durham and LSE & UCL.

Thanks, thats probably my personal view and Its reassuring that other people are agreeing.
Reply 19
Hmmm, 2 members of my close family have law degrees. I have several friends that have graduated in law and are now working in law firms.

Kindly STFU.

Hi, using friends who are lawyers as a reference is bogus.

I know someone who studied at Oxford Brookes and works at Freshfields, but that gives me little indication as to how good Oxford Brookes is for law.

I think when correctly proportioning to student population, LSE and UCL students feature considerably more in magic circle and US law firms, and particularly in investment banks (side interest) than durham does. This gives a pretty good indication as to how well the uni's are perceived by relevant firms.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending