The Student Room Group

Paris, Turkey, Belgium, now Iraq - 29+ Muslims killed in ISIS stadium bombing

Scroll to see replies

Clearly westerners are unique in this way and in every other part of the world distant tragedies are emphasised over local ones.

I know this must be correct because someone starts a very thought provoking 'why you westeners so bothered about things happening in the west' thread every time that there's a terrorist attack in the west.
Reply 21
Original post by ozzyoscy
Understanding and agreeing are two different things, you internet hardman you.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I know why, That doesn't make it ok.

So you both have issues with the media reporting events that its target audiences can better relate to, and that are exceptional. No I'm not convinced either of you understand how the media works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no need to argue. Especially given the topic here.
Reply 23
Original post by Aj12
So you both have issues with the media reporting events that its target audiences can better relate to, and that are exceptional. No I'm not convinced either of you understand how the media works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try to explain this in simpler terms by invoking Godwin's Law.

Presumably, you take issue with Adolf Hitler, you think he was a right ****. If I explain to you his reasoning will that mean, now that you know how he works, you will no longer think he is a ****?
What is the issue?

That people aren't affected as much by attacks further from home?

Or people dont think it's bad?

I think everyone who is affected little or almost no affected still accept it's bad.

So I would say these people understand why it isn't getting the same attention and agree it shouldn't get the same attention, but still call it bad nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I'll try to explain this in simpler terms by invoking Godwin's Law.

Presumably, you take issue with Adolf Hitler, you think he was a right ****. If I explain to you his reasoning will that mean, now that you know how he works, you will no longer think he is a ****?

Completely irrelevant to this discussion. You are taking issue with something, I am explaining why there is no underlying issue here. You are trying to make a point about how the media reports, but in actual fact you are complaining about what News fundamentally is, an extremely odd position to hold.
Someone poops in the toilet - not surprising.

Someone poops on the dining table - surprising.
It's not like friends though, because most people weren't friends with anyone who died in Brussels or Paris.

How does Brussels relate to you? How many have ever even been there? Know what it looks like? Ever even met a Belgian?

I don't see the difference between a country and culture miles away and another country and culture miles away. I don't much care about any attacks so far in the sense I wouldn't have noticed had Facebook not told me or caught a newspaper headline in my eye, as it's irrelevant to my life as you suggest, though I still appreciate the loss of life is tragic and wrong, and certainly not to different degrees just because one country is a bit further away than the other.

Well, I was actually in Brussels around this time last year, and I have a friend there. Many more people in UK will have ties with Brussels and Belgium than Iraq.

Also, when I see something has happened in Iraq, it doesn't scare me, because I don't feel it becomes any more likely that it will happen in London. When it happens in Brussels, a city much like London in a country much like the UK, when it is an attack intended to intimidate the West, when it has happened somewhere which is generally extremely safe, when it is committed by home grown radicals much like we have in the UK, it worries me because I can see that it could easily happen in London too.
Reply 28
Original post by Aj12
Completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Oh alright that's convenient, I'll stop reading here then and end our discussion.

Original post by KingBradly
Well, I was actually in Brussels around this time last year, and I have a friend there. Many more people in UK will have ties with Brussels and Belgium than Iraq.

Also, when I see something has happened in Iraq, it doesn't scare me, because I don't feel it becomes any more likely that it will happen in London. When it happens in Brussels, a city much like London in a country much like the UK, when it is an attack intended to intimidate the West, when it has happened somewhere which is generally extremely safe, when it is committed by home grown radicals much like we have in the UK, it worries me because I can see that it could easily happen in London too.

But not everyone will have ties. It'll just be another foreign country really.

Now you're talking about fear. So do people flock, does the news get a stiffy over it for weeks, does Facebook allow the ability to change profile pictures, to ease fear? This is a good point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by A$aprocky
shut up bruv

Haha yeah I get the impression this is just an arguing forum in disguise. I shouldn't be surprised. For some reason we're now discussing the rights and wrongs of news coverage rather than talking about the news article.
Haha yeah I get the impression this is just an arguing forum in disguise. I shouldn't be surprised. For some reason we're now discussing the rights and wrongs of news coverage rather than talking about the news article.

lol i didnt read the thread. F*ck ETHAN

But not everyone will have ties. It'll just be another foreign country really.

What's your point? How does it refute what I said?

Now you're talking about fear. So do people flock, does the news get a stiffy over it for weeks, does Facebook allow the ability to change profile pictures, to ease fear? This is a good point.

Well the news isn't interested in easing fears, its interested in alerting us to dangers and things which may affect us. In fact, the more fearful people are, the better. They get more viewers, more readers, etc. The whole profile picture changing thing is part of people wanting to feel secure by being in solidarity with their friends and family. It gives them a sense of (if false) security.
Reply 32
What's your point? How does it refute what I said?

Well the news isn't interested in easing fears, its interested in alerting us to dangers and things which may affect us. In fact, the more fearful people are, the better. They get more viewers, more readers, etc. The whole profile picture changing thing is part of people wanting to feel secure by being in solidarity with their friends and family. It gives them a sense of (if false) security.

'Point'? 'Refuting'? Come on, next you'll be saying 'rebuttal' and 'butthurt'.

I wouldn't say the news is interested in alerting us of anything. It's a business, they're interested in selling, not so much alerting. And when the product isn't so good, you either have to market it better or manufacture better product yourself.
Yemen conflict: 'IS bombings' kill at least 22 in Aden [Yesterday]

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35901733
Its know becoming so much that there are know Muslims who call Islam terrorism now.
'Point'? 'Refuting'? Come on, next you'll be saying 'rebuttal' and 'butthurt'.

Huh? Sorry I thought we were having a serious discussion.

I wouldn't say the news is interested in alerting us of anything. It's a business, they're interested in selling, not so much alerting. And when the product isn't so good, you either have to market it better or manufacture better product yourself.

The news is interested in reporting on what people care about, as that's what gets them viewers and readers. People care more about things which they feel relates to them, and things which are more shocking/surprising.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I know why, That doesn't make it ok.

Yes, it's an absolute scandal that Western media outlets have a Western-centric focus :rolleyes:

Don't be a drip.
Reply 37
Original post by JohnGreek
No one is suggesting that the Iraqis who were murdered at the stadium were worth anything less than the people in Belgium. People are commenting on the reasons as to why the media may be skewed towards covering one event over another. Those reasons are simple and easy to understand. What exactly are you trying to achieve here? You've made us aware of the attack, and we've explained why Brussels received more attention than Iraq. What else?

Again with the dumb ulterior motive shtick. You're right, no one is suggesting that the Iraqis are worth less. Why are you telling me this? Geez.

Huh? Sorry I thought we were having a serious discussion.

The news is interested in reporting on what people care about, as that's what gets them viewers and readers. People care more about things which they feel relates to them, and things which are more shocking/surprising.

We're having a discussion, certainly not an internet argument though.

The news isn't so much interested in reporting what people care about, rather telling people what they care about, depending on what material they have.

Original post by KimKallstrom
Yes, it's an absolute scandal that Western media outlets have a Western-centric focus :rolleyes:

Don't be a drip.

Isn't the news media Earth-centric? They report on airplanes and earthquakes thousands of miles away, after all.
Reply 38
So what's the point of this thread? You still haven't answered.

I'd love to see some evidence backing up the notion that Western readers care as much, if not more, about the Iraqi attacks than the Brussels ones

Not sure if trolling or not.

Your first reply is a lie and a dumb question, the second is nonsensical and talks about 'evidence', the third talks about 'trolling'.

Good grief. I suppose you've 'owned' me now or something.
Reply 39
You've managed to bait so many people

Ok going to stop you there. It sounds like you spend far too much time on forums, and you need to cut this insult-hurling and internet argument crap. I'm going to have to stop reading this post and your future posts.

Which would be the exact opposite of 'trolling' and 'baiting', what a shocker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending