The Student Room Group

unsure about harris manchester college

Hey guys so im going to be 21 if i attend oxford at harris manchester college next year. I kind of applied to oxford without knowing much and didnt realise that harris manchester was a mature college. Now im rather hesitant as there is going to be quite a bit of age disparity compared to the other students. Anyone from the college here? What is the average age like and hows the social life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by willchen96
Hey guys so im going to be 21 if i attend oxford at harris manchester college next year. I kind of applied to oxford without knowing much and didnt realise that harris manchester was a mature college. Now im rather hesitant as there is going to be quite a bit of age disparity compared to the other students. Anyone from the college here? What is the average age like and hows the social life?

Had a number of friends from HMC. As I understand it, the students have increasingly been on the young side, mostly early 20s, so there isn't a massive age disparity vis a vis other colleges. A good number of people I know actually started when they were 21/ 22, so you'll fit right in age wise.

Not exactly sure what their social life is like, but they do seem to have the usual stuff like bops, guest formals etc. They also have an excellent brunch.
Reply 2
Original post by mishieru07
Had a number of friends from HMC. As I understand it, the students have increasingly been on the young side, mostly early 20s, so there isn't a massive age disparity vis a vis other colleges. A good number of people I know actually started when they were 21/ 22, so you'll fit right in age wise.

Not exactly sure what their social life is like, but they do seem to have the usual stuff like bops, guest formals etc. They also have an excellent brunch.

Thanks for the reply! That did give me a better idea of the college :smile: Would you say that the college makes up the center of your social life at oxford? I am an international student so i really dont know much about the colleguate system. If i do go i will be paying a 100,000 pounds so im trying to find out as much as i can!
The average age will still be young, in the region of 25-27 I'd imagine. Personally, I'd much rather that than spending time with a bunch of over-excited 18 year olds getting their first taste of independence.
I'm 31 and originally applied to Magdalen, cause I thought a mature college would be full of sixty years olds. Got sent up to Harris Manchester for extra interviews, and realized I was totally wrong. Most people were 21-35, with just a couple of 'really old' types (sorry :biggrin:).

Though everyone at Magdalen was cool, I'm definitely pleased I got an offer from HMC. Also, you will still get sent to other colleges for most papers you sit, so that breaks it up nicely.

Where you from and what are you gonna apply for?
Reply 5
Original post by MouseyBrown
I'm 31 and originally applied to Magdalen, cause I thought a mature college would be full of sixty years olds. Got sent up to Harris Manchester for extra interviews, and realized I was totally wrong. Most people were 21-35, with just a couple of 'really old' types (sorry :biggrin:).

Though everyone at Magdalen was cool, I'm definitely pleased I got an offer from HMC. Also, you will still get sent to other colleges for most papers you sit, so that breaks it up nicely.

Where you from and what are you gonna apply for?

I am from singapore! I got the offer already actually. Where are you from and what do you study?
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
The average age will still be young, in the region of 25-27 I'd imagine. Personally, I'd much rather that than spending time with a bunch of over-excited 18 year olds getting their first taste of independence.

Thanks for the reply! What is the social life like? I do actually hope to have a memorable uni experience especially after my dreary time in the army. But under the impression that everything is gonna be a bit dull in a mature college
I am from singapore! I got the offer already actually. Where are you from and what do you study?

Thought you might be....met a couple of Singaporeans who had done exactly the same after coming out of the army. I'm from the UK and have an offer for History and Politics. I wouldn't worry about it being too quiet there man, it is what you make it. How did you find it at interviews though?
Reply 8
Thought you might be....met a couple of Singaporeans who had done exactly the same after coming out of the army. I'm from the UK and have an offer for History and Politics. I wouldn't worry about it being too quiet there man, it is what you make it. How did you find it at interviews though?

I thought it went horribly but somehow managed to get in. Pretty confused till now how i managed to get in
Thanks for the reply! That did give me a better idea of the college :smile: Would you say that the college makes up the center of your social life at oxford? I am an international student so i really dont know much about the colleguate system. If i do go i will be paying a 100,000 pounds so im trying to find out as much as i can!

Yeah if you're a Singaporean (hi haha), you'll be in good company with lots of other Singaporeans at HMC.

I don't necessarily think college has to be the centre of one's social life (in my case, it probably wasn't). It can be, and it can also not be, depending on who you socialize with. You can easily make friends outside college by going for university level events or clubs.
I thought it went horribly but somehow managed to get in. Pretty confused till now how i managed to get in

Tell me about it...I though mine were a total disaster.
Reply 11
Tell me about it...I though mine were a total disaster.

I shot myself in the foot in the first interview although i did manage to correct myself. I think the rest probably made the same mistake as i did but didnt realise it, so maybe that was why i stood out. As for my third interview, i didnt understand the interviewer's question and we spent almost 10 minutes on just one question with her constantly trying to clarify herself with examples etc. Before i knew it the interview was over. And i also happened to forget the case i participated in during my internship.
Reply 12
Yeah if you're a Singaporean (hi haha), you'll be in good company with lots of other Singaporeans at HMC.

I don't necessarily think college has to be the centre of one's social life (in my case, it probably wasn't). It can be, and it can also not be, depending on who you socialize with. You can easily make friends outside college by going for university level events or clubs.

Thanks for the reply :smile: yeah i guess they like to lump us in hmc cos we have our national service. Where are you from?
I shot myself in the foot in the first interview although i did manage to correct myself. I think the rest probably made the same mistake as i did but didnt realise it, so maybe that was why i stood out. As for my third interview, i didnt understand the interviewer's question and we spent almost 10 minutes on just one question with her constantly trying to clarify herself with examples etc. Before i knew it the interview was over. And i also happened to forget the case i participated in during my internship.

What's your offer for?
Reply 14
What's your offer for?

Law
Law

I don't know much about the social life at HMC (I go to a different college) but I do know that the law tutor there (Louise Gullifer) is an absolute legend (been taught by her for two different papers), so Law at HMC is definitely a good choice from that point of view!
Thanks for the reply :smile: yeah i guess they like to lump us in hmc cos we have our national service. Where are you from?

I'm Singaporean lol.

That said, I've already graduated - Brasenose College, Law BA (2011-2014) and BCL (2014-2015).

I've heard excellent things about Gullifer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
I'm Singaporean lol.

That said, I've already graduated - Brasenose College, Law BA (2011-2014) and BCL (2014-2015).

I've heard excellent things about Gullifer.

Oh cool if you are a guy did you disrupt ur ns? Also were u on scholarship?
Oh cool if you are a guy did you disrupt ur ns? Also were u on scholarship?

Nope female.

Scholarship is an extremely long story which I can't exactly disclose in public. PM if you want details.
Reply 19
Original post by iheartdjokovic
I don't know much about the social life at HMC (I go to a different college) but I do know that the law tutor there (Louise Gullifer) is an absolute legend (been taught by her for two different papers), so Law at HMC is definitely a good choice from that point of view!

Thanks! Glad to know i will have a good tutor:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending