The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would say a higher proportion of rich people buy mac books, because they are expensive and if you were really poor you would just buy a cheaper laptop. However as long as you're not really poor you could still save for one and get it.

Cant really see the point really, i feel like part of the reason people buy mac books is because they're seen as fashionable anyway.
No.

/end
:no: I'm not rich. I worked for mine for ages and saved up for it. There was also no way I'd let my parents pay for it….
No, only people who know nothing about technology and are slave to the mainstream have MacBooks. Could have easily afforded MacBooks for both Bachelors and Masters, but chose not to.
Anything from apple is pretty much a fashion accessory anyway.

Anyone who uses their phones are daft and too fashion concious, anyone who uses their laptops is a complete tit.... anyone who uses their desktops is mentally handicapped.

It's like alienware and rich kids.... just why?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
No, only people who know nothing about technology and are slave to the mainstream have MacBooks. Could have easily afforded MacBooks for both Bachelors and Masters, but chose not to.

That's why all the google software engineers use MacBooks as their preferred laptops even though most are die hard Open Source fans :yep:
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil

God you are so achingly edgy and hip.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
God you are so achingly edgy and hip.

Seems this is one of those Gillette multi blades. :lol:

Original post by DanB1991
Anything from apple is pretty much a fashion accessory anyway.Anyone who uses their phones are daft and too fashion concious, anyone who uses their laptops is a complete tit.... anyone who uses their desktops is mentally handicapped.It's like alienware and rich kids.... just why?
I come from a wealthy background, but I don't have a MacBook. Simply because I don't like them.
Reply 29
Younger, fashion conscious people buy Mac.
There is nothing that special about MacBooks. They seem to be the laptop of choice at university (at least they are ubiquitous in my uni library).

I've never known a brand elicit such a strong response in people that don't own one.
Original post by Quantex
There is nothing that special about MacBooks. They seem to be the laptop of choice at university (at least they are ubiquitous in my uni library).

I've never known a brand elicit such a strong response in people that don't own one.

I was never really fussed about them until I joined uni. We had some guys in halls who bragged on how he'd spent £700-£2k on mac computers. One guy did photography and dropped around £1.5k on a mac desktop.

Their main argument was they're great computers. But for £1.5k I could get an absolute beast of a PC and seeing what he was using it for did he really need to spend that much money?

We had another mac fan who had a PC at uni because he loved gaming and couldn't afford a gaming rig and a Mac Pro (He did some graphic design course that required rendering). By comparison we had a kid, due to his grants and parents etc, who could afford both. Despite the claims the Mac Pro was aimed at rendering, video and photography pros, the PC would render faster and had much more storage space :dontknow: Then add the excessive repair costs and quite mediocre support when compared to many PC makers and he had to rely on 'how it works internally' to brag about it.

Companies choose mac because of their market position and they offer quite good incentives for bulk orders and they know exactly what they're buying. That being said Mac's are loosing their dominance in that sector.
Original post by Mayhem™
Jim doesn't have a job, he claims job-seekers allowance which allows him to put some money aside every month. After a couple of months Jim buys a MacBook.

Is Jim rich?

Good point. :wink:
I have one and I am not rich lol
Original post by David.Cameron
Some are poor because they didn't buy shares in Apple which later sold for an absolute fortune. :colonhash: :moon:

Some are poor because they weren't alive back then.
Original post by davidguettafan
No :colonhash:
I need not have possession over an overpriced slice of the modern age. Why have a 'macbook' when you can conjure fire and walk on water? How trivial!
Working Class Student - "my parents can afford to help me at university" - Gets £8,200 - *Buys Mac-book* - "We need it to do our work"
Original post by Orange s0da
I'm poor because i bought a macbok

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mayhem™
Jim doesn't have a job, he claims job-seekers allowance which allows him to put some money aside every month. After a couple of months Jim buys a MacBook.

Is Jim rich?

You clearly have no idea what this discussion is about.

OP, apple products have become quite ubiquitous in society now, so owning an Apple product is not really just the reserve of the well-off any more. Though I would say the one thing all macbooks owners still do have in common is pretentiousness.

Latest