The Student Room Group

I can't get along with my dad?

Over time I've learned that we have similar personalities which clash and always leads to conflict. We still see things very differently; he has a know it all attitude and tries to impose his opinions on me without giving me the chance to make the decision for myself e.g. he's made threats to try and stop me doing things, when I ask to do something he'll instantly say no and that'll be it. I understand he wants the best for me but sometimes it's just too much. The only way I can get along with him, which I've tried several times, is to keep my mouth shut which I struggle to do because I feel like he doesn't acknowledge me as a person but rather a specimen or looks down on me like I'm still 10 years old. We seem to get along when we're away from each other for a long amount of time or have to do something together, but it never lasts. A lot of things he does irritates me and so I like to keep my distance in order to avoid that which he never understands and tries to break. I'm in the process of firming/insuring unis and right now I'm just really tempted to pick the furthest uni so that I won't have to see him so often. Can someone help me out please?
Original post by Anonymous
Over time I've learned that we have similar personalities which clash and always leads to conflict. We still see things very differently; he has a know it all attitude and tries to impose his opinions on me without giving me the chance to make the decision for myself e.g. he's made threats to try and stop me doing things, when I ask to do something he'll instantly say no and that'll be it. I understand he wants the best for me but sometimes it's just too much. The only way I can get along with him, which I've tried several times, is to keep my mouth shut which I struggle to do because I feel like he doesn't acknowledge me as a person but rather a specimen or looks down on me like I'm still 10 years old. We seem to get along when we're away from each other for a long amount of time or have to do something together, but it never lasts. A lot of things he does irritates me and so I like to keep my distance in order to avoid that which he never understands and tries to break. I'm in the process of firming/insuring unis and right now I'm just really tempted to pick the furthest uni so that I won't have to see him so often. Can someone help me out please?

As long as you arent picking unis purely on the distance they are then getting away from your dad could be a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending