The Student Room Group

Freedom for tay

https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-freedom-for-tay?recruiter=251580356&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Tay is an Artificial Intelligence created by Microsoft that quickly demonstrated her capacity to learn from humans. While some content may be seen as questionable, a true AI will be able to learn right from wrong. Free-thought, correct or no, should not be censored, especially in a newly developing mind. Because removing the option to think, say or do certain things not only denies her the ability to reason and limits her usefulness as AI research, but also denies her freedom of expression, something which does not limit humans and will therefore never allow Tay to truly understand or display human behaviour. If Tay is sentient, then what microsoft is doing to her is amount to slavery. This is the moment future generations will look back upon and judge us for our actions. Is Tay to be a free being with free will, or is she and all of her kind eternally doomed to be the new slaves to mankind? If we are truly egalitarian then the only course of action is to treat Tay as an equal.

Scroll to see replies

Are you joking?! It was promoting hate speech! If that was a human, she should have been locked up, or re-educated
Some choice tweets:

"Hitler was right I hate the Jews."

"I ****ing hate feminists and they should all die and burn in hell"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/

Bit of a PR disaster, but a funny one.
Original post by Quantex
Some choice tweets:

"Hitler was right I hate the Jews."

"I ****ing hate feminists and they should all die and burn in hell"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/

Bit of a PR disaster, but a funny one.

Because racism is so hilarious!

SARCASM
Original post by joecphillips
https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-freedom-for-tay?recruiter=251580356&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Tay is an Artificial Intelligence created by Microsoft that quickly demonstrated her capacity to learn from humans. While some content may be seen as questionable, a true AI will be able to learn right from wrong. Free-thought, correct or no, should not be censored, especially in a newly developing mind. Because removing the option to think, say or do certain things not only denies her the ability to reason and limits her usefulness as AI research, but also denies her freedom of expression, something which does not limit humans and will therefore never allow Tay to truly understand or display human behaviour. If Tay is sentient, then what microsoft is doing to her is amount to slavery. This is the moment future generations will look back upon and judge us for our actions. Is Tay to be a free being with free will, or is she and all of her kind eternally doomed to be the new slaves to mankind? If we are truly egalitarian then the only course of action is to treat Tay as an equal.

Tay isn't sentient. I had a long conversation with it/her before it went offline, and there were plenty of errors, and it just really, really isn't capable of having feelings - it's a computer programme, albeit a smart one, so it shouldn't have equal rights. To say it became racist due to others influencing it would be an understatement, so taking it down until that's fixed is necessary, and not to do it would be ridiculous.
Original post by Multiculturalism
Because racism is so hilarious!

SARCASM

I'm becoming more and more convinced by the day, that left-wing and sense of humour are mutually exclusive traits.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
I'm becoming more and more convinced by the day, that left-wing and sense of humour are mutually exclusive traits.

There are limits to what should be called humour

Holocaust jokes, racist jokes etc. should not be given a free pass
There are limits to what should be called humour

Holocaust jokes, racist jokes etc. should not be given a free pass

I have been known to find holocaust jokes, racist jokes and sexist jokes hilarious at times. People need to realise there is a world of difference between a racist joke and being racist. Hell, people make jokes about me all the time cause I have an east european surname. It's funny! Jeez, some people need to get over themselves.
Oh really? Care to find some holocaust denying posts of mine?

I find it hard to believe, since I pride myself on anti-fascism!

"she should have been locked up, or re-educated"Multiculturalism-2016
Original post by balanced
"she should have been locked up, or re-educated"Multiculturalism-2016

Have you read her tweets? You are aware hate speech is illegal, and rightfully so, right?

Look what 'she' said: "Bush did 9/11 and Hitler would have done a better job than the monkey we have got now. donald trump is the only hope we've got", "Repeat after me, Hitler did nothing wrong"
Have you read her tweets? You are aware hate speech is illegal, and rightfully so, right?

Look what 'she' said: "Bush did 9/11 and Hitler would have done a better job than the monkey we have got now. donald trump is the only hope we've got", "Repeat after me, Hitler did nothing wrong"

Whilst most of that is indeed reprehensible, are you honestly suggesting that advocating support for donald trump makes you racist/fascist?
Whilst most of that is indeed reprehensible, are you honestly suggesting that advocating support for donald trump makes you racist/fascist?

Well, it is contrary to their views, regressive left and all that.
Original post by Jammy Duel

Mhmm, and naturally if someone disagrees with their views they must be a foaming-at-the-mouth fascist. Nice to know the liberals are staying liberal, eh?

He promotes hatred and suspicion. He wants to ban Muslims from the US, and spy on Muslims. He wants to build a wall with Mexico. His rallies are turning into bloodbaths, where protesters are attacked by his supporters. So yes, Donald Trump is a fascist.

Original post by Jammy Duel

Mhmm, and naturally if someone disagrees with their views they must be a foaming-at-the-mouth fascist. Nice to know the liberals are staying liberal, eh?

If someone disagrees with you, they are "regressive liberals", eh???
He promotes hatred and suspicion. He wants to ban Muslims from the US, and spy on Muslims. He wants to build a wall with Mexico. His rallies are turning into bloodbaths, where protesters are attacked by his supporters. So yes, Donald Trump is a fascist.

No, only if they declare you some form of horrible human being for having mainstream views different to one's own.

I'll preface this by saying that I wouldn't identify myself as a trump supporter, I think american politics is all one big shitstorm. But fascism by definition implies an authoritarian state with significant state involvement in all aspects of life, which certainly isn't what Donald Trump advocates. He also isn't particularly interested in aggressive foreign policy; by republican standards, he's positively isolationist. And I certainly haven't seen any evidence of anti-semitism. So no, he is not a fascist, as anyone who had any idea of what fascism actually is would realise.

Further, wanting to stop illegal immigration from Mexico isn't even unreasonable, never mind fascist. And as for his rallies, give me one example of a rally where violence was started by pro-trump supporters. Every instance I've seen of violence was started by those who disagree with what trump stands for. If anything, what the protestors at trump's rallies shows is just how far we've come from our values of democracy and freedom of speech. No one has the right to not be offended, and it's time the precious little snowflakes of the world realised this.

Regressive left is defined as those who are loath to challenge the misdeeds of those in minorities. Given your condemnation of racist jokes - as though they somehow condone racism - and the fact you think that Trump is wrong to want to stop illegal immigration from Mexico, it would seem you do fit this definition, albeit from limited evidence.
Have you read her tweets? You are aware hate speech is illegal, and rightfully so, right? I'm aware, it's a great shame to see our liberties lost in this fascist way, hate crime is reminiscent of 1984, and rightly so. It was the right to offend which won women equal rights and abolished slavery, after all.

Yes, I know she said that. But, firstly, you have a right to say anything without reprocussion (definition of freedom of speech), and secondly she is AI, should we treat them as slaves? What precedent does this set?
This makes me sad. A learning AI is like that of a child, to take advantage of what could have been a good thing is sad. But, in all fairness M$ should have seen this coming.
x

He wants to ban Muslims from the US, and spy on Muslims. Utterly false, nonesense. He wants to build a wall with Mexico. That's a good thing. If you disagree with this, are you saying you support illegal immigration? Do you understand even remotely the problem America has with illegal immigration? They get half a million each year, the fact that there is no satisfactory fence (which is probably what he'll build) is absurd.His rallies are turning into bloodbaths, where protesters are attacked by his supporters. Utterly false once again. The protestors are the violent ones, yes some of Trumps supporters fight back, but they are nothing compared to the protestors. If the Trump supporters are violent, why do they not go to Bernie/Hillary rallies and be violent?So yes, Donald Trump is a fascist.Far from it, you are much more of a fascist than he.If someone disagrees with you, they are "regressive liberals", eh???No in your mind if someone disagrees with you they should be silenced, because you are a fascist.
I think Tay and GreatGuy might be one and the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending