The Student Room Group

Best backup for medicine?

Oksy, so what would be the best backup choice for medicine? I was thinking of ideally applying optometry but then I was worried I might get rejected for that too because I would have to write stuff about eyes in my PS which would then affect my chances for medicine itself. Then there's biomedical sciences. What are the chances when you say you want to help people but you don't directly help people as a biomedical scientist! Pharmacy is competitive itself so idk about that. What are other options??
Reply 1
neuroscience innit
Reply 2
Bio med I suppose 🤔
Reply 3
Or pharmacology
Reply 4
Yeah probably biomedicine. I applied to genetics as my fifth choice and my PS was completely dedicated to medicine. But I still managed to get offers in both :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for Dentistry but the back-up still applies, I put biomed at Newcastle on my UCAS form because there is the chance to apply for a transfer onto med/dent after 1st year which is competitive but possibly worthwhile (although I made sure the course sounded interesting too in case I ended up stuck on it).
I'd say pick a degree you'd find interesting, you could be stuck doing it for 3 years. There are plenty of healthcare related careers that aren't medicine but you'll be helping people and potentially saving lives, look into pharmacy, biomedical science, optometry etc. and see which you could see yourself doing as it may be you end up doing that instead of medicine for the rest of your life. Good luck, hopefully you won't need that back up!
Original post by akash3141
Oksy, so what would be the best backup choice for medicine? I was thinking of ideally applying optometry but then I was worried I might get rejected for that too because I would have to write stuff about eyes in my PS which would then affect my chances for medicine itself. Then there's biomedical sciences. What are the chances when you say you want to help people but you don't directly help people as a biomedical scientist! Pharmacy is competitive itself so idk about that. What are other options??

I used two backups on UCAS which were radiography (rejected because of medicine ps) and biomed (offer)

My fri nd used optometry as his fifth option and he got an offer, presumably because he got really good grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best back up is to re-apply....much harder to get an offer as a graduate than a re-applicant.
Biochemistry, Physiology, Neuroscience, Pharmacy etc. Or look at at something like the Cellular and Molecular Medicine program at Bristol : http://www.ugent.be/en/work/vacancies/scientific/phd-student-hrvi8
Reply 9
Backup Biomedical Sciences, but reapply instead of going from Grad Entry if you can help it.

NEVER compromise your personal statement for your 5th choice. Write as if you were only applying to 4 Med Schools. Your 5th choice probably won't care/expect a Med PS.
I applied for both Med and Biomed with a PS directed at Medicine only, still got offers from both. I wouldn't worry about your biomed PS too much. Though I'd suggest that in the unfortunate case you receive 4 rejections for medicine, consider taking a gap year instead of using your 5th option for biomed. I just applied to a 5th for the hell of it lol, I knew I wasn't going to use it.

:biggrin:
Reply 11
My fifth choice was neuroscience. Lots of people go for biomed, pharmacology etc. Sometimes people opt for chemistry or psychology, but these are a bit further out of the field
Reply 12
Original post by CYsuxx

NEVER compromise your personal statement for your 5th choice. Write as if you were only applying to 4 Med Schools. Your 5th choice probably won't care/expect a Med PS.

Completely agree. Also, those which do care will often allow you to email them an alternate personal statement
Original post by akash3141

Mine was Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology (which I'm actually going to do next year) but most uni's don't expect you to write PS for your fifth choice, you can easily email and ask if this is the case - that's what I did anyway.
Original post by grekoiran
The best back up is to re-apply.....

Just looking at some of the replies and wouldnt this be the best advice?

If you want to do medicine and its a vocation then get in as a first degree if you can.

Realise that if you do another degree, but then try and do medicine you will be funding it yourself, so waiting a year getting more experience and improving your app might be the smart choice. No guarantees, just something you have to weigh up.

If you dont mind doing something else then or playing the long game then fine.
I did neuroscience with pharmacology for my backup, ended up doing it and applying for medicine again in my final year of uni (don't regret it at all but know many people would be better off just taking a gap year)
Reply 16
Original post by stormzy1
neuroscience innit

State your name cuz
There's always the Physician Associate postgraduate degree if you decide not to go into/don't do medicine. You basically choose any science degree like biomed or even physiology and then the degree (physician associate) basically covers all the main areas of medicine in two years, then you can go into whatever you want, it's like being the doctor except ur supervised by a doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending