The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Refugees in Europe might suffer from PTSD?

Scroll to see replies

And on what page is PTSD mentioned in your link? I did a search for PTSD on the document and it only came up in the acronym page lol
Yep as suspected a acronym search, word search and a scan read didn't show ANY mention of PTSD.

Please provide a source showing 50-57% of Syrian refugees suffer from PTSD
Original post by MJlover
not racist? but why bring their race up when only condemning those communities for crimes?Don't forget they're fleeing to the very countries that are responsible for causing and supporting conflict in their countries of origin.PTSD can effect anyone including the victims of violent crime, and btw show me anywhere on this thread where I've shown sympathy to rapists and those who are perpetrators of violent crime?

1) Who brought their race into it?
2) Whilst this is mostly inaccurate, this does not excuse them for criminal activities. If you come into a country you follow that countries law and culture from the second you enter. Why can so many do this and others are still using excuses.
3) No, it is most common in war veterans and you dont see them using that as a excuse. I think your whole thread is just absolutely pathetic and the fact you are using PTSD as a sympathy magnet for rapists and murderers says alot about you.
Reply 143
Original post by TSRFT8
1) Who brought their race into it?
2) Whilst this is mostly inaccurate, this does not excuse them for criminal activities. If you come into a country you follow that countries law and culture from the second you enter. Why can so many do this and others are still using excuses.
3) No, it is most common in war veterans and you dont see them using that as a excuse. I think your whole thread is just absolutely pathetic and the fact you are using PTSD as a sympathy magnet for rapists and murderers says alot about you.

I clarified that I was not using it as a justification for rape and serious crime in my OP, yet again another who wants to shout down a non-point.
I've even given stats that 50-57% of Syrian refugees have PTSD, there is nothing pathetic about pointing out this serious issue.
Reply 144
Original post by KimKallstrom
Think you might be into something here OP (even though the majority of "refugees" aren't even Syrian according to pretty much all statistics on this). I mean, look at all those guys coming home from being in the trenches in World War 1, the guys storming the beaches in Normandy in World War 2, the Holocaust survivors etc etc.......... they were sexually assaulting random women all over the place......:rolleyes:

Pathetic thread.

yeah because thats what all refugees do :rolleyes:

bigot
Original post by MJlover
I clarified that I was not using it as a justification for rape and serious crime in my OP, yet again another who wants to shout down a non-point.
I've even given stats that 50-57% of Syrian refugees have PTSD, there is nothing pathetic about pointing out this serious issue.

You have provided no evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 146
Original post by paul514
You have provided no evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

A quick search can find you plenty of research on PTSD among Syrian refugees
Original post by MJlover
A quick search can find you plenty of research on PTSD among Syrian refugees

Then you should link the study showing 50-57%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MJlover

Refugees suffering from significant health problems isn't a new idea and s serious as it is the PTSD statistic doesn't do much to strengthen or weaken any side of the refugee crisis. It grants clarity which yes is very good but informs little beyond that.

Also do you have any evidence to link PTSD with crimes of a nature that have been committed by the refugees. And how do you explain heightened crime statistics from immigrants from cultures similar to those that the refugees are coming from.
Reply 149
Original post by paul514
Then you should link the study showing 50-57%

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not going to claim something I can't find, and since there are stats that alternatively say about 30% (the EMPHNET one doesn't seem to show the 50% stat), i think my OP is still substantiated for.
Reply 150
Original post by garfeeled
Refugees suffering from significant health problems isn't a new idea and s serious as it is the PTSD statistic doesn't do much to strengthen or weaken any side of the refugee crisis. It grants clarity which yes is very good but informs little beyond that.

Also do you have any evidence to link PTSD with crimes of a nature that have been committed by the refugees. And how do you explain heightened crime statistics from immigrants from cultures similar to those that the refugees are coming from.

are you saying that their culture is responsible for crime stats? I think there is a lot to understand about petty crime, poverty and lack of job opportunities and mental health some of them.
Original post by MJlover
I am not going to claim something I can't find, and since there are stats that alternatively say about 30% (the EMPHNET one doesn't seem to show the 50% stat), i think my OP is still substantiated for.

At nearly half the level you said.... Let's see that study for 30% then

Posted from TSR Mobile
So are you basically trying to say migrants assaulting women and traumatising them for life is basically their way of dealing with PTSD? Regardless of if you have PTSD, it doesn't give you any excuse to do anything like sexually assault a woman.

Anyone who does that should be deported. There are thousands of PTSD sufferers throughout the UK. You don't see them making their city centres a no go area at night.

Pathetic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MJlover
are you saying that their culture is responsible for crime stats? I think there is a lot to understand about petty crime, poverty and lack of job opportunities and mental health some of them.

Read up the stats yourself sweetheart. Syria (where many of these migrants claim to be from) is in the bottom ten in the world for gender equality.

If you have milions of these people (who are mainly guys), who view women to be nothing but objects, they'll think they can do it here.
Reply 154
Original post by paul514
At nearly half the level you said.... Let's see that study for 30% then

Posted from TSR Mobile

This one claims 20-50% http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/syrian-refugees-plagued-by-high-rates-of-ptsd-1.2673341

and as I've said, there is a lot of research that you can easily find yourself on this topic
Reply 155
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So are you basically trying to say migrants assaulting women and traumatising them for life is basically their way of dealing with PTSD? Regardless of if you have PTSD, it doesn't give you any excuse to do anything like sexually assault a woman.

Anyone who does that should be deported. There are thousands of PTSD sufferers throughout the UK. You don't see them making their city centres a no go area at night.

Pathetic.

DID I NOT SAY IN MY OP THAT I DID NOT WANT TO JUSTIFY SEXUAL ASSAULT AT ALL?

:rolleyes:
Reply 156
Read up the stats yourself sweetheart. Syria (where many of these migrants claim to be from) is in the bottom ten in the world for gender equality.

If you have milions of these people (who are mainly guys), who view women to be nothing but objects, they'll think they can do it here.

proof or its a bigoted stereotype

Pathetic.

Correct.

PTSD causing sexual assault just wouldn't happen.

PTSD causing someone at hit someone can happen but that isn't the sort of crime we are talking about it and would be a hit not a prolonged attack. It would also be rare with the suffer being surprised by a person during a flashback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 158
Original post by paul514
Correct.

PTSD causing sexual assault just wouldn't happen.

PTSD causing someone at hit someone can happen but that isn't the sort of crime we are talking about it and would be a hit not a prolonged attack. It would also be rare with the suffer being surprised by a person during a flashback.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is exactly the type of crime I'm talking about, my OP says that I do not want to use PTSD to justify sexual assaults.
Original post by MJlover
proof or its a bigoted stereotype

http://www.theweek.co.uk/67020/gender-equality-around-the-world-the-best-and-worst-countries

You're very welcome sweetheart.

Latest

Trending

Trending