The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official St. Hild & St. Bede college thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hello I'm James, I'm 18 and I'm hoping to study economics in september :smile: I've been allocated Hilde Bede. Does anybody know if there has been a Facebook group chat set up for the college?
Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any sporting facilities (football, swimming etc) nearby (apart from the gyms and concrete pitches on site) ?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by JamesColeman10
Hello I'm James, I'm 18 and I'm hoping to study economics in september :smile: I've been allocated Hilde Bede. Does anybody know if there has been a Facebook group chat set up for the college?
Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any sporting facilities (football, swimming etc) nearby (apart from the gyms and concrete pitches on site) ?

There's squash (definitely) and football pitches (I think), but there's no swimming in any of the colleges as far as I remember - they just rent out the local pools
Original post by floraharai
How long does it take to go to the science site? :smile:

About a 25 minute walk but there's short cuts too once you know your way around, the guides took us down loads of tiny streets
Original post by Gingerbread101
There's squash (definitely) and football pitches (I think), but there's no swimming in any of the colleges as far as I remember - they just rent out the local pools

Original post by JamesColeman10

Yeah there's a group chat for Hild Bede on Facebook- DM me :smile:
About a 25 minute walk but there's short cuts too once you know your way around, the guides took us down loads of tiny streets

Did you get to see the accommodation and all of the buildings? I'd love to know what it's like!
Original post by mechanism
Did you get to see the accommodation and all of the buildings? I'd love to know what it's like!

Yeah we slept in the Bede building, the rooms were pretty average for uni accommodation but perfectly liveable :smile: in 3rd year if you live back in you get priority for the best rooms :tongue: I've attached the photos I took of my room :smile:

The main photographic building is really nice (attached too), and while the rest are mainly blocky 70s buildings, the interiors are nicely decorated :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by eleanor27
Yeah there's a group chat for Hild Bede on Facebook- DM me :smile:

It's not letting me DM you because apparently my message 'looks like spam'. So would you be able to DM me first? :biggrin:
Yeah we slept in the Bede building, the rooms were pretty average for uni accommodation but perfectly liveable :smile: in 3rd year if you live back in you get priority for the best rooms :tongue: I've attached the photos I took of my room :smile:

The main photographic building is really nice (attached too), and while the rest are mainly blocky 70s buildings, the interiors are nicely decorated :smile:

Spoiler

Ooh not bad! Thanks for the photos :biggrin: did you enjoy your time there? Have you firmed Durham? And did you get to see the college library?
Reply 69
Might as well introduce myself! I am Oda, a Norwegian student, who is going to study Psych :biggrin:
Original post by mechanism
Ooh not bad! Thanks for the photos :biggrin: did you enjoy your time there? Have you firmed Durham? And did you get to see the college library?

Yeah it was really lovely :h:
I have :yes: and no we didn't, but apparently it's really big and convenient :smile:
Original post by m1m2
Might as well introduce myself! I am Oda, a Norwegian student, who is going to study Psych :biggrin:

Hi :biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by ombtom
I'm passing through Durham next week so I'll visit the college. Is there anything you recommend I see/do whilst I'm there? :smile:

There's a do it yourself tour, so I'd grab that off the security guard at the entrance. Have a look around, take a look at the grounds, try to ignore the 70s buildings.

I enjoyed seeing what was going on. In the college there was like 2 fitness sessions going on, a boxing session, some modern dancer and some people doing ballroom?! So I chatted with a few of them.

Other than that, drive/walk around the town centre, have a look at the Cathedral and the historic buildings, Let me know how it goes!
Original post by floraharai
How long does it take to go to the science site? :smile:

It takes me 14 minutes usually but if you're strolling or have a broken leg (like me) it takes more like 20 mins!
I applied to Josephine Butler but was allocated here :h: It looks lovely in all the photos!

I'm going to be studying Law :awesome:

I am also going to be studying Law and I applied to Jospephine Butler but got allocated here 😂 What do you think of the college?:smile:
Original post by Elena1998
I am also going to be studying Law and I applied to Jospephine Butler but got allocated here 😂 What do you think of the college?:smile:

Wow :five: I thought it looked really nice, the grounds looked great and there were tons of things to get involved with :smile: all the theatre stuff sounded really great (I don't act but I do stage production, like the sound and stuff) :awesome: the rooms were pretty much what you'd expect and the food was good :smile:

Do you like it?
Wow :five: I thought it looked really nice, the grounds looked great and there were tons of things to get involved with :smile: all the theatre stuff sounded really great (I don't act but I do stage production, like the sound and stuff) :awesome: the rooms were pretty much what you'd expect and the food was good :smile:

Do you like it?

Ahh I thought it looked really lovely as well, although I wish I got to look at the accommodation in some of the other buildings! And I kind of applied to butler because I wanted an ensuite but nevermind 😂 I love how there is so much to get involved with too:smile: I actually act so really like the sound off all the theatre stuff as well:smile:
Original post by Elena1998
Ahh I thought it looked really lovely as well, although I wish I got to look at the accommodation in some of the other buildings! And I kind of applied to butler because I wanted an ensuite but nevermind 😂 I love how there is so much to get involved with too:smile: I actually act so really like the sound off all the theatre stuff as well:smile:

That was part of my reason for applying to Butler too haha, but I think I could definitely cope without an en suite :lol:
That was part of my reason for applying to Butler too haha, but I think I could definitely cope without an en suite :lol:

I didn't think I'd be able to at first 😂 but the accommodation and college in general seem really lovely so I'll definitely cope:smile:
Reply 78
hey! I also got an offer from hildbede to study politics and economics.However I do not know if I should firm or not... I'm not sure if i should choose bristol or durham. What do you guys think?
Original post by e1998
hey! I also got an offer from hildbede to study politics and economics.However I do not know if I should firm or not... I'm not sure if i should choose bristol or durham. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure about the combined course, but Durham comes above Bristol in the league tables for both individually, and while I haven't visited Bristol, Durham seems to stand out to be as a very nice place :smile: I declined my offer from Bristol in favour of Durham, but it depends on what you're looking for in a uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending