The Student Room Group

Does this count as more than two years?

Hey guys, quick question.
So I was told that even if I have three A levels, if I take another a level during my gap year this would count as doing A levels over two (well three years considering my position lol) ? Is this true? I'm applying for uni after my A level results but doing my gap year I'll also like to pick up one more A level to stay academic, motivating me not to waste my time. The degrees and unis I am applying for too don't need this A level too. What are your thoughts? :smile:
Original post by Cherry82
Hey guys, quick question.
So I was told that even if I have three A levels, if I take another a level during my gap year this would count as doing A levels over two (well three years considering my position lol) ? Is this true? I'm applying for uni after my A level results but doing my gap year I'll also like to pick up one more A level to stay academic, motivating me not to waste my time. The degrees and unis I am applying for too don't need this A level too. What are your thoughts? :smile:

If you mean that you are doing two now and are planning to do a third next year, making three in total, you will find that some but not all universities will regard that as a disadvantage as you haven't demonstrated that you can manage the academic workload of three all at once. It will vary from university to university as to what their attitude is, so you will have to do the research by asking them directly.

If you are doing three now and will be adding a fourth next year, that won't matter as offers are most likely to be based on the three you took together, unless the fourth is more relevant to the course you are applying for.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you mean that you are doing two now and are planning to do a third next year, making three in total, you will find that some but not all universities will regard that as a disadvantage as you haven't demonstrated that you can manage the academic workload of three all at once. It will vary from university to university as to what their attitude is, so you will have to do the research by asking them directly.

If you are doing three now and will be adding a fourth next year, that won't matter as offers are most likely to be based on the three you took together, unless the fourth is more relevant to the course you are applying for.

I'm doing three at the moment.
(Maths, English lit and law) however I want to ditch Maths because it is making me neglect my other subjects. Next year English Lit is going to be so stressful with the reforms now in place. Instead I wanted to ask my teacher if I could do Religious Studies. So by next year I would have 3 a level grades in English Lit, RS and law. On my gap year though I'd like to continue maths as something to do in my free time not something that would contribute to my offer. For a degree in law and Business Management universities do not want A level maths so I thought there was no point with me doing it and stressing, when my grades matter more. If I continue with maths at the moment I can see myself receiving ACC if I am lucky. But if I change to RS because I am so passionate about the course, hopefully AAA or AAB.
Reply 3
Once you've met your offer, the uni won't care what you take in your gap year. It won't be relevant to your application, as you would have been made an offer and accepted a place by that point. Depends when you apply though - most people will get a uni place before a gap year. Bit different if you're going to apply during your gap year.

You should be able to find out from your peferred uni's subject website. They can be very specific - an example is DMU's webpage for their Business Management & Law degree:

Entry criteria
•A typical offer is 280 UCAS points from at least two A-levels or equivalent (e.g. BTEC**). A-level General Studies is accepted. Points from AS-level study not taken to A-level study are counted
•A Level General Studies is accepted. Points from AS Level study not taken to A Level study are counted
•Five GCSEs at grades A*–C including English Language and Maths
•Pass QAA Accredited AHE course and GCSE Maths and English grade C (Language or Literature) or recognised equivalent
•International Baccalaureate: 28+ points

In that instance, as long as your first three A Levels raised 280 points, the subjects don't seem to matter. Every uni can set its own criteria.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
Once you've met your offer, the uni won't care what you take in your gap year. It won't be relevant to your application, as you would have been made an offer and accepted a place by that point. Depends when you apply though - most people will get a uni place before a gap year. Bit different if you're going to apply during your gap year.

You should be able to find out from your peferred uni's subject website. They can be very specific - an example is DMU's webpage for their Business Management & Law degree:

In that instance, as long as your first three A Levels raised 280 points, the subjects don't seem to matter. Every uni can set its own criteria.

Ok, so if my A level results were A*AA and I had met their grade requirements, when applying they may consider me even with the whole gap year thing? Oh. An example is, for Business Management King's wants A*AA with no required subjects so getting the grades is the most important thing to me.
Reply 5
I'm thinking would it be better to do no extra A levels on my gap year to avoid confusion and hassle. Maybe I should just get the three then focus on my gap year in terms of work experience and travelling (If I do).
Reply 6
Original post by Cherry82
Ok, so if my A level results were A*AA and I had met their grade requirements, when applying they may consider me even with the whole gap year thing? Oh. An example is, for Business Management King's wants A*AA with no required subjects so getting the grades is the most important thing to me.

If you meet their requirements with your first three A Levels, I don't see how a 'spare' A Level in your gap year is going to make any difference. If you're looking to boost your chances on top of your grades, then the non-academic requirements seem to be emphasised for that course:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/business-management-bsc.aspx

However we have no way of knowing - all we can do is guess. You need to email Kings and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending