The Student Room Group

The Magic of Easter Eggs

Has noone ever considered this before? all i can think of is how amazing it is how the Easter Eggs and the packaging have been made :moon: especially this one box, the net is so clever! :eek: i'll share with you how i think it has all been created :yes: cos it is just so amazing :dance:

The Packaging:
Now the packaging is a net of duplex board, since injection moulded plastic was gradually phased out :yy: They come in designs that vary in complexity but here would be the basic principle:
1) a large sheet of duplex board (never ever say 'cardboard' :nooo: far to vauge :nope:) is prepared
2) Duplex board fed through the rollers of an offset lithography machine and the dyes (yellow, cyan, magenta and black) are transferred to the cardboard

3) The net is die cut out of the printed duplex board

4) On a manufacturing line the nets are hand assembled into shape

The Egg:
This is the fun one :teeth: the principle is the same as making a seamless spherical product out of plastic, just with chocolate instead :drool:
1) Granules of chocolate fed into a two halved egg shaped mould
2) Mould rotated through heaters. It rotates through all axis to ensure an even covering of chocolate on the mould walls
3)Rotated through coolers. Chocolate solidifies
4) Mould halves open and egg removed :h:

so there you have it :h: just something to consider whilst you eat some eggs :moon: just how amazing that whole process is :excited:

Scroll to see replies

I think you should lay off the eggs.
Original post by CoolCavy
xxx

I never even knew this!! :eek: I have a little bit more appreciation for my eggs now!!
Huh?

We can see your product design alevel is coming to good use.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I think you should lay off the eggs.

Ironically i haven't eaten any yet :getmecoat: too busy admiring the packaging :hide:

Original post by iEthan
I never even knew this!! :eek: I have a little bit more appreciation for my eggs now!!

heheheh ty Ethan :ahee: this is when doing PD comes in handy :yy:

Original post by Kholmes1
Huh?We can see your product design alevel is coming to good use.

:hugs: thank you :lol: and yeah we have to know all this stuff :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
:lol: omg cav!
Wow. I do love Easter egg packaging.

I remember making plastic sandwich holder thingies in year 7 graphic design. It was one of the highlights of my schooling.
We did something similar in science; our task was to research how kinder surprise eggs are made and the effects of production on the environment.
Original post by z33
:lol: omg cav!

Thought i'd share the magic :mmm:

Original post by mscaffrey
Wow. I do love Easter egg packaging.

I remember making plastic sandwich holder thingies in year 7 graphic design. It was one of the highlights of my schooling.

Loooool :lol: same tbh, omg :dance: and i would think so :ahee: i am aware you are joking btw :giggle: as usual making me laugh :innocent:

Original post by Mayhem™
We did something similar in science; our task was to research how kinder surprise eggs are made and the effects of production on the environment.

OMG :eek: a fellow person passionate about design :five:
I've always wanted to know how Creme Eggs were made?
Original post by ||TheUnknown||

Looooool if only that were a guinea pig it could have been me and greatguy :moon: sad times :nopity:
Original post by aamirac
I've always wanted to know how Creme Eggs were made?

I believe it is a similar principle, only they put some enzymes in the middle to keep the fondant soft :dontknow:
Loooool :lol: same tbh, omg :dance: and i would think so :ahee: i am aware you are joking btw :giggle: as usual making me laugh :innocent:

This is one of the rare times where I'm not even joking. I loved graphic design and getting to make things. I also made a jigsaw out of plastic. The sandwich holder was much more successful than the jigsaw because we had a machine for the sandwich thing whereas we had to saw the plastic for the jigsaw and I was not good with a saw.
PRSOM :h:
This is one of the rare times where I'm not even joking. I loved graphic design and getting to make things. I also made a jigsaw out of plastic. The sandwich holder was much more successful than the jigsaw because we had a machine for the sandwich thing whereas we had to saw the plastic for the jigsaw and I was not good with a saw.

really? :rofl: loool sorry :hugs:
awwwww that is actually really sweet though :cute: did they not offer graphic design further up the school?

I believe it is a similar principle, only they put some enzymes in the middle to keep the fondant soft :dontknow:

Maybe. I remember seeing it in my B2 textbook!
I'd love to see the production of how they make them one day. (:rofl: :facepalm:)
Original post by aamirac
Maybe. I remember seeing it in my B2 textbook!
I'd love to see the production of how they make them one day. (:rofl: :facepalm:)

Do you mean B2 for GCSE biology? :lol: cos i rmbr something similar about enzymes being in there :lol:
looool we should all go together to see this fascinating process :moon:
really? :rofl: loool sorry :hugs:
awwwww that is actually really sweet though :cute: did they not offer graphic design further up the school?

I left school to be taught at home so I didn't get to do it any more. I don't think I would have been very successful with it at a higher level because once we started using computers to design things I was a bit lost. I liked my pencil, paper and ruler combination.
I left school to be taught at home so I didn't get to do it any more. I don't think I would have been very successful with it at a higher level because once we started using computers to design things I was a bit lost. I liked my pencil, paper and ruler combination.

awwwww :sad: ah yeah i get you, same much prefer proper drawing equipment :yes: 2D design is alright but Google sketchup is a tad awful :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest