The Student Room Group

Did the Cold War ever really end..?

I, for one, do not think that the Cold War ever truly ended.

Vladimir Putin, former Director of the KGB/FSB, has held power in Russia since 1999, alternating between being Prime Minister and President. His foreign policy stance towards Europe and NATO has been complicated. While not outright hostile, it does seem that tensions are high, and nuclear threat has not really lessened on either side.

What do you think?
Reply 1
Putin is not a communist. The cold war is over./
Yes, we have central heating now....................oh, and thermo nuclear weapons too.
While tensions are high, they aren't at all comparable to before the fall of the Soviet Union. The threat of nuclear war really isn't anywhere near a big a threat as it was back during the Cold War. It seems very unlikely there'd be any nuclear exchange between Russia and the West. If anything N.Korea is the biggest threat towards nuclear war and neither Russia or the West are their biggest fans.
Original post by Zargabaath
While tensions are high, they aren't at all comparable to before the fall of the Soviet Union. The threat of nuclear war really isn't anywhere near a big a threat as it was back during the Cold War. It seems very unlikely there'd be any nuclear exchange between Russia and the West. If anything N.Korea is the biggest threat towards nuclear war and neither Russia or the West are their biggest fans.

Say this is just a period of detente?
Original post by Thomb
Putin is not a communist. The cold war is over./

Okay, but the level of nationalism is Russia is truly frightening. People literally worship Putin.
Reply 6
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Okay, but the level of nationalism is Russia is truly frightening. People literally worship Putin.

No their problem is they worship god not Putin.
Say this is just a period of detente?

I think it's a bit more then the period during the Cold War in the early 70's. I don't think we'll ever get back to the tensions that were reached before, at least not in our lifetimes.
I think a series of proxy wars in the Middle East or countries like Ukraine is much more likely then an all out nuclear war.
Original post by Thomb
No their problem is they worship god not Putin.

Okay, I take back the literally part. And why is worshiping God a problem?

Take a look at this
http://mashable.com/2016/01/06/putin-drokova-russia-new-york/#hAMtpkfEAqqG
I, for one, do not think that the Cold War ever truly ended.

Vladimir Putin, former Director of the KGB/FSB, has held power in Russia since 1999, alternating between being Prime Minister and President. His foreign policy stance towards Europe and NATO has been complicated. While not outright hostile, it does seem that tensions are high, and nuclear threat has not really lessened on either side.

What do you think?

thought this was another one of those holy threads... just found the "other" thread xD
Reply 10
Okay, I take back the literally part. And why is worshiping God a problem?

Take a look at this
http://mashable.com/2016/01/06/putin-drokova-russia-new-york/#hAMtpkfEAqqG

Because religion is wrong? :biggrin:
Original post by thefatone
thought this was another one of those holy threads... just found the "other" thread xD

I have never come across a "holy thread" before. Is it common on here?
I have never come across a "holy thread" before. Is it common on here?

i call holy threads the spamming ones which all tell you to pray to Allah etc all that balls

Quick Reply

Latest