The Student Room Group

CIRCULAR MOTION QUESTIONs

1. A fairground ride consists of a rotating cylinder. People stand on the inside of the cylinder with their backs to it. When the speed of rotation is great enough the floor is lowered so that only friction stops them from falling. The diameter between a peron's body and the cylinder is taken as 0.5. Find the least angular speed necessary to stop a person from falling.

2. A child sits on a roundabout at a distance of 5 m from the centre of rotation and at a height of 2 m above ground level. The roundabout completes one revolution every 2 seconds. After one revolution the child drops a small toy, of mass 500 grams, that she was carrying, which then falls to the ground without hitting the roundabout.

(a) Find the acceleration of the child on the roundabout and the magnitude of the force exerted on the toy by the child, before she drops it. Hint: include the weight of the toy.

For the second question I found the acceleration but I got the magnitude wrong, I did f= ma using the previous answer which gave me 24.7 but the answer is 25.2.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by misslili118
1. A fairground ride consists of a rotating cylinder. People stand on the inside of the cylinder with their backs to it. When the speed of rotation is great enough the floor is lowered so that only friction stops them from falling. The diameter between a peron's body and the cylinder is taken as 0.5. Find the least angular speed necessary to stop a person from falling.

2. A child sits on a roundabout at a distance of 5 m from the centre of rotation and at a height of 2 m above ground level. The roundabout completes one revolution every 2 seconds. After one revolution the child drops a small toy, of mass 500 grams, that she was carrying, which then falls to the ground without hitting the roundabout.

(a) Find the acceleration of the child on the roundabout and the magnitude of the force exerted on the toy by the child, before she drops it. Hint: include the weight of the toy.

For the second question I found the acceleration but I got the magnitude wrong, I did f= ma using the previous answer which gave me 24.7 but the answer is 25.2.

Since your answer is so close to the actual answer, is it possible you rounded too much or too little?

Quick Reply

Latest