The Student Room Group

M3 SHM

Please could someone explain where the [x-(L/8)] comes from in the working for part b) in this question?

It's from the Jan 2014 IAL paper

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by PhyM23
Please could someone explain where the [x-(L/8)] comes from in the working for part b) in this question?

It's the extension from the equilibrium xe=x8x-e = x - \frac{\ell}{8} which is the extension component in your tension for Hooke's Law.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
It's the extension from the equilibrium xe=x8x-e = x - \frac{\ell}{8} which is the extension component in your tension for Hooke's Law.

Why would you want the extension from the equilibrium position? Wouldn't you want the extension of the spring from its natural length?
Reply 3
Original post by PhyM23
Why would you want the extension from the equilibrium position? Wouldn't you want the extension of the spring from its natural length?

Nopes. Get used to this, it's going to be in every SHM problem ever. SHM works with the origin as equilibrium.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Nopes. Get used to this, it's going to be in every SHM problem ever. SHM works with the origin as equilibrium.

I understand that SHM works with the origin as equilibrium, but if the spring is in equilibrium but compressed like in part a), then that means the extension from the equilibrium point would be 0 at that point, meaning (x-e)=0. But there has to be a compression force there doesn't there? So how can (x-e)=0 at that point?
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken

Actually I drew a diagram and understand it now. Thank you very much for your help
Reply 6
Original post by PhyM23
Actually I drew a diagram and understand it now. Thank you very much for your help

Aye, good work.

Quick Reply

Latest