The Student Room Group

Fascists March in Brussels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by XxSophie01xX
I'm struggling to understand why these people are far right for protesting against terrorism? Or are we worried Muslims' feelings are going to get hurt even though they apparently don't align themselves with the terrorists? I'm confused.

We've already had the denial argument.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
It has always baffled me, this weird alliance between some on the left and Islam. Some of them would happily trample all over womens' rights, for example, just to defend it. It's very strange.

This reminded me of a time when there was a Muslim conference of sorts at my university, and females were segregated from the men and had to use a different doorway. I was discussing it with a female lecturer (a feminist one at that, actually) who explained that she disagreed with it, but would never dream of voicing that publicly as it's not right to intrude on someone else's 'culture'. Really, really bizarre.
Reply 102
Original post by Thomb
No I'd do away with politics and the law altogether.

Your credibility takes a huge dump when you say things like that.
Disgusting, almost as bad as UKIP over here. Need to ban all of these fascist groups who are a far greater threat to society than ISIS are
Reply 104
Original post by Howard
I don't know any. They can't feel very strongly about it. The front pages are not exactly awash with news of Christians butchering modern day Odinists.

You've never met a nazis devil and death worshipping evil brew of satan that is - "I'm a conservative." You've never been to canterbury its a breeding ground for it? LoL by christian fundamentalist I mean the sort that is common in the southern states of america i.e.. the KKK sort. Hint Hint. LoL.:biggrin:
Original post by Thomb

Well played you really had me going...
Original post by Thomb
What is an ad hominem fallacy?

An Ad Hominem fallacy is where an individual resorts to attacking the opponent personally rather than their position on a subject.

To give an example, let's say I'm debating an individual with less-than-stellar views on non-whites. This specific individual believes black people are inferior and I believe everyone is equal. If I were to call this guy a ****** because of his attitudes towards non-whites, that would be ad hominem, because I am attacking him personally rather than trying to discredit his argument.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by Howard
Your credibility takes a huge dump when you say things like that.

Why's that?
Reply 108
Original post by XxSophie01xX
This reminded me of a time when there was a Muslim conference of sorts at my university, and females were segregated from the men and had to use a different doorway. I was discussing it with a female lecturer (a feminist one at that, actually) who explained that she disagreed with it, but would never dream of voicing that publicly as it's not right to intrude on someone else's 'culture'. Really, really bizarre.

What could this woman do though? Speak up about it and have herself labelled a racist, lose her job? Most people aren't going to do that. They are going to just go with the flow, keep their mouth shut, and hang on till retirement.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I agree. Why are you saying this it's obvious?

There are so many people on this forum who can't see this
Reply 110
Original post by Vennec
An Ad Hominem fallacy is where an individual resorts to attacking the individual rather than their position on a subject.

To give an example, let's say I'm debating an individual with less-than-stellar views on non-whites. This specific individual believes black people are inferior and I believe everyone is equal. If I were to call this guy a ****** because of his attitudes towards non-whites, that would be ad hominem, because I am attacking him personally rather than trying to discredit his argument.

Well personally I would attack a facist because some things have to be dealt with that way. QED. Though I must admit I am just wasting time here these people are just a waste of time.
Reply 111
[video="youtube;fyR09SP9qdA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyR09SP9qdA[/video]

Muslim Communist group PE don't agree with you.
Original post by Thomb
Well personally I would attack a facist because some things have to be dealt with that way. QED. Though I must admit I am just wasting time here these people are just a waste of time.

They haven't quite explained an ad hominem fallacy correctly there. An ad hominem fallacy is where you try to discredit their argument with an attack on their character. In this instance an ad hominem fallacy is, rather than attacking the views on immigration that the neo-nazis are espousing, saying that we shouldn't even consider their view because they are neo-nazis. It's inherently flawed because you aren't refuting their argument, you're just saying cause they're wrong about other things they must be wrong about this too.
Original post by Thomb

I disagree very strongly with this attitude. Attacking people personally is no way to solve an argument, it just creates more and makes people angry. You say QED, so what is your proof?
Original post by Howard
What could this woman do though? Speak up about it and have herself labelled a racist, lose her job? Most people aren't going to do that. They are going to just go with the flow, keep their mouth shut, and hang on till retirement.

I don't think she would have voiced it even if she hadn't been in her position though, simply for the fact she felt she couldn't intrude on someone else's culture.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
They haven't quite explained an ad hominem fallacy correctly there. An ad hominem fallacy is where you try to discredit their argument with an attack on their character. In this instance an ad hominem fallacy is, rather than attacking the views on immigration that the neo-nazis are espousing, saying that we shouldn't even consider their view because they are neo-nazis. It's inherently flawed because you aren't refuting their argument, you're just saying cause they're wrong about other things they must be wrong about this too.

Ah, my apologies. I was somewhat close, but I should still brush up on my fallacies. You are correct.
Original post by Thomb

Oh boy.
gr8 b8 m8
Reply 118
Original post by Vennec
I disagree very strongly with this attitude. Attacking people personally is no way to solve an argument, it just creates more and makes people angry. You say QED, so what is your proof?

They retaliated and said I'm just another one of those liberal progressives who try's to shut down the argument. I'm not a liberal left winger at all. So I guess that makes us both wrong?
Tinfoil hat brigade in full force today I see. Gotta love TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending