The Student Room Group

Have I even got a chance?

I'm hoping to study medicine. I know I can't get into any medicine course without a foundation year, because of my further education choices, but I just want people's opinions on whether I have a chance with the foundation year.

My GCSEs were -
English language - B
English literature - B
Dual award science - B/B
Maths - C (I would be willing to retake this, as I could've done better)
Business - A
Spanish - B
History - B
Then I did two BTECs, which weren't my choice. I wanted to do georgraphy, art and/or French, but wasn't given the option.

I took a year out from my studies to get a better idea of which industries I enjoyed and which I didn't, I worked in a law firm and hated it, so I'm definitely set on going into the healthcare industry.

I'm currently studying the Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care (this will be Health Sciences come September, and will include microbiology and biochemistry modules). I'm predicted DDD in this course, which as far as I know is the highest I can get.

I've done work placement in a school, worked in a law firm, will be working in a hospital later in the year, do charity/voluntary work and will also be working in a care home in the next couple of months. I also plan on continuing my placements and experience throughout the next year and a half, before I start university.

Do you think I stand a chance at being accepted into a foundation year medicine degree?
Keele say they accept DDD Extended diplomas, and I think UEA accept DDM, but I'm not sure that they will accept my specific course.

Any help would be great! Honest opinions please :smile:
Put enough effort in and you can do anything, the top uni's will not take you but like you said Keele and UEA will, so just work really hard to get those grades, they cant deny you if you do.
Original post by Lord Kitchener
Put enough effort in and you can do anything, the top uni's will not take you but like you said Keele and UEA will, so just work really hard to get those grades, they cant deny you if you do.

Thank you, I just don't know if it's even worth putting them in my options, because I just feel as if they'll throw my application to the side when they see I've done a BTEC, even though they accept them. I would need 3 other options, though, and would like to study something similar to medicine if I don't get accepted. Do you have any ideas of what I could put as my other options?
There's no harm in trying though, Do you mean another subject if you don't get medicine? If so, I don't know maybe try a placement in something medical related - EMT? Sciences are probably the best route I guess or even a nursing degree but I wonder how cost-effective that would be... Talk to your career advisors or teachers they know you better than I do.
Original post by Lord Kitchener
There's no harm in trying though, Do you mean another subject if you don't get medicine? If so, I don't know maybe try a placement in something medical related - EMT? Sciences are probably the best route I guess or even a nursing degree but I wonder how cost-effective that would be... Talk to your career advisors or teachers they know you better than I do.

Thank you, I'm definitely going to try. I just want to get an idea of my chances, as I won't get my hopes up if I know my chances are low. I think I'll do something related to medicine, maybe pharmacy, or something easier to get into, as I feel like I don't stand a chance at all. Thank you again!
You need to consider the many paths there are into medicine, all are very rewarding careers but getting into uni is not the be all and end all of it. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending