The Student Room Group

STEP Tricks and Hacks Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Use the fact that some trigonometric functions are shifts of another, common examples include sinθ=cos(π/2θ)\sin \theta = \cos (\pi/2 - \theta), cotθ=tan(π/2θ)\cot \theta = \tan (\pi/2 - \theta) and the likes. This comes in useful and saves a lot of time.

Say you were given csc(θ+π3)=sec(θπ6)\csc \left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{3}\right) = \sec \left(\theta - \frac{\pi}{6}\right) - this could be an 8/9/10mark A-Level question easily; want a three liner way of doing it?

The equation is equivalent to sin(θ+π3)=sin(π2θ+π6)=sin(2π3θ)\displaystyle \sin \left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{3}\right) = \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2} - \theta + \frac{\pi}{6}\right) = \sin \left(\frac{2\pi}{3} - \theta\right)

which now becomes elementary to solve.

Extension to this, using a STEP question, show that sinA=cosB    A=(4n+1)π2±B\sin A = \cos B \iff A = (4n+1)\frac{\pi}{2} \pm B - should be a two or three liner using this method.

This trick has rendered one or two STEP I questions completely inane, especially the cotθ=tan(π/2θ)\cot \theta = \tan (\pi/2 - \theta) that's let me do a STEP I question in 4 minutes.

For the necessary condition, why is it that taking sine of the equation gives you -sin=cos whereas taking the cosine proves it for +B. I can see the symmetry but how do I know which one to use? Pic related will explain my question better tbh.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459024938.978987.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 141
Original post by Insight314
For the necessary condition, why is it that taking sine of the equation gives you -sin=cos whereas taking the cosine proves it for +B. I can see the symmetry but how do I know which one to use? Pic related will explain my question better tbh.

I'll have a look at this in a bit, I'm off to watch a movie - but the way I'd do this (the intended way) was:

sinX=sinY    X=Y+2nπorX=πY+2nπ\sin X = \sin Y \iff X = Y + 2n\pi \, \text{or} \, X = \pi - Y + 2n\pi which gives us necessity and sufficiency in one fell swoop and is applicable here since cosB=sin(π/2B)\cos B = \sin (\pi/2 - B).
Reply 142

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually - I've spotted it right away, we have sin(A(4n+1)π2)=sin±B\sin \left(A - (4n+1)\frac{\pi}{2}\right) = \sin \pm B.

But this gives us 0cosA=sin±B0 - \cos A = \sin \pm B which is the same thing as cosA=±sinB-\cos A = \pm \sin B which certainly gives us cosA=sinB\cos A = \sin B.

The +B+B comes from the cos\cos and then B-B comes from the sin\sin.

So remember when we have cosA=±sinB-\cos A = \pm \sin B we have cos A is the same as (+sin B or -sin B) only one of those have to be true, not both.
Original post by Zacken
Actually - I've spotted it right away, we have sin(A(4n+1)π2)=sin±B\sin \left(A - (4n+1)\frac{\pi}{2}\right) = \sin \pm B.

But this gives us 0cosA=sin±B0 - \cos A = \sin \pm B which is the same thing as cosA=±sinB-\cos A = \pm \sin B which certainly gives us cosA=sinB\cos A = \sin B.

The +B+B comes from the cos\cos and then B-B comes from the sin\sin.

So remember when we have cosA=±sinB-\cos A = \pm \sin B we have cos A is the same as (+sin B or -sin B) only one of those have to be true, not both.

Oh! Are you saying that I couldn't prove it because I was messing up my boolean logic/truth tables? So if we have +sin B or -sin B, it would be enough to say that cos A = sin B by just emitting the -sin B ? :tongue:
Reply 144
Oh! Are you saying that I couldn't prove it because I was messing up my boolean logic/truth tables? So if we have +sin B or -sin B, it would be enough to say that cos A = sin B by just emitting the -sin B ? :tongue:

Precisely.
Original post by Zacken
Precisely.

You know how you feel really happy when you solve a math problem and learn something new? That is what I am feeling right now. :biggrin: Gonna start STEP III 2006, do one question and start M5 - I've been doing so much STEP today that I have forgotten I am really behind on Further Mathematics A-level. :biggrin:

Thank you again. Have fun, and I hope you enjoy your movie!
Reply 146
You know how you feel really happy when you solve a math problem and learn something new? That is what I am feeling right now. :biggrin: Gonna start STEP III 2006, do one question and start M5 - I've been doing so much STEP today that I have forgotten I am really behind on Further Mathematics A-level. :biggrin:

Thank you again. Have fun, and I hope you enjoy your movie!

Thanks! I'll be doing STEP III 2006 as a mock on Monday or so. :biggrin:

...I need to start Physics. :lol:

Thanks. :h:
Original post by Zacken

Say you wanted to differentiate a nasty function that might require multiple uses of the product rule or such, take logs!

Why take logs when you can take natural logs? Or is this what you meant?

Original post by Zacken

Extension to this, using the same idea, roughly - attempt 0π/2logsinθdθ\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \log \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta

Similarly, you meant to say natural log (ln\ln) right? :tongue:

At any level higher than A-level log\log and ln\ln are interchangeable, in mathematics at least.
Original post by joostan
At any level higher than A-level log\log and ln\ln are interchangeable, in mathematics at least.

All right, I see. Thank you. :smile:
I was a bit confused because I thought he meant log in base 10. :biggrin:

yeah he means natural log

edit:
well looks like I'm late to the party
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Using implicit differentiation can make life easier.

Say you wanted to differentiate a nasty function that might require multiple uses of the product rule or such, take logs!

Let's say you have f(x)=xp(x+1)q(x+2)rf(x) = x^p(x+1)^q(x+2)^r, do you really want to differentiate this normally? I'd hope you said no. What you'd want to do is:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\log f(x) = p \log x + q \log (x+1) + r \log (x+2) \Rightarrow f'(x) = f(x)\left(\frac{p}{x} + \frac{q}{x+1} + \frac{r}{x+2}\right)\end{equation*}

and leaving your answer in this form, i.e: as f(x)()f(x)(\cdots) is quite useful in many a STEP I question that I've come across.

As an aside, here's another place where it's useful: ddxf(x)\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} |f(x)|, now the standard thing to do would be to consider intervals of xx that makes ff positive or negative and differentiate piecewise.

What'd I'd do is y=f(x)y2=f(x)22yy=2f(x)f(x)y=f(x)f(x)f(x)y = |f(x)| \Rightarrow y^2 = f(x)^2 \Rightarrow 2yy' = 2f'(x)f(x) \Rightarrow y' = \frac{f'(x)f(x)}{|f(x)|} - this also lets you know where the function is not differentiable.

I'll edit it a nice problem for you lot to try in a bit.

Do you have one right now? :smile:
Do you have one right now? :smile:

Although it's brief you might like to prove the product and quotient rules for suitably defined functions using this sort of technique.
Reply 153

As above - at any level above A-Level we have that log\log and ln\ln are interchangeable.

Define f(x)=xm(x1)nf(x) = x^m(x-1)^n with both m,nm, n being positive integers greater than 11. Show that the stationary point of this function in the interval (0,1)(0,1) is a maximum if nn is even and a minimum when nn is odd.
Original post by joostan
Although it's brief you might like to prove the product and quotient rules for suitably defined functions using this sort of technique.

Can I just say that is a really nice avatar :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
As above - at any level above A-Level we have that log\log and ln\ln are interchangeable.

Except in engineering, where they often use log=log10\log = \log_{10} ...
Original post by atsruser
Except in engineering, where they often use log=log10\log = \log_{10} ...

And computer science, where sometimes log=log2\log = \log_{2}
Original post by sweeneyrod

LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sweeneyrod

And Chemistry, where log=log10\log = \log_{10} when calculating pH.
A STEP teacher at my college mentioned a 'loop' technique, he didn't go into any detail because he said it's not needed for A level. Does anybody know what it is?

Quick Reply

Latest