The Student Room Group

The straight and narrow path to 12A*'s

So, recently I have had my report back. On the whole it was pretty good and almost on par with my original predictions.

My Report Grades/Original Predictions:

Biology - A/A*
Business Studies - A*/A*
Chemistry - A*/A*
Computer Science - A/A
English Language - A*/A*
English Literature - A*/A*
Further Maths - A*/A*
Geography - A*/A*
German - A/A
Maths - A*/A*
Physics - A*/A*
Religious Studies - A/B

For my report I achieved 8A* and 4A
My original predictions were 9A*, 2A and a B

However, as I aspire to study Economics at the likes of Cambridge and Princeton, I am aiming for the very best grades at GCSE as well as A-level.

This means I want to change the 4 A's in my report to A*'s

I am documenting my revision each day for the easter break and most likely all the way through to my exams for my own reference and if possible to motivate others to revise. There are 7 weeks and 1 day until my first exam (Religious Studies - Unit 1), so I feel now is the right time to start revising older topics and familiarising myself with the specification of each subject again.

My revision contains two key components

1) Subject Specification
2) Past Papers

My revision guidelines

The Subject Notebook - I will be writing out the full specification of each subject in a notebook (All of the content which exam boards require us to know for the exam). Each notebook will be colour-coded to highlight: General Info, Important Info, Titles and Diagrams. This will be useful for revision closer to the exam period as everything will be there for reference

Past Papers - I have already printed all of the available past papers for each of my subjects. There are roughly 4-6 papers for each subject. I aim to complete all of them and if not all, then as many as possible. Getting to know the type of questions the exam board will ask as well as how to answer these questions will be vital as, after all, there are only so many questions which can be asked about the specification.

There are only two components of my revision however I feel they can provide me with good preparation for the exam as well as the knowledge and technique to achieve an A* in all of my subjects.

So, from here on in I will be documenting the revision I do each day to remind myself of the goal I am working towards and at the same time try to motivate others to revise and prepare for what is the culmination of two years of hard work.

Good luck with revision to all

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sunday 27th March

Today - Wrote all of the B1 specification in my Biology subject notebook. As I only started at 2pm I could not finish the Biology notebook. I have a feeling the sciences will prove the most time-consuming of all of my subjects.

Tomorrow - I plan to finish the Biology notebook and move on to Business Studies which will not prove very challenging time wise. I may possibly finish the Business Studies notebook as I am waking up at 9am to make a start.

I also will not start the past papers until all of my subject notebooks have been completed. I predict I will complete all of the notebooks by the end of this coming week if I am working productively and efficiently
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sage25
Sunday 27th March

Today - Wrote all of the B1 specification in my Biology subject notebook. As I only started at 2pm I could not finish the Biology notebook. I have a feeling the sciences will prove the most time-consuming of all of my subjects.

Tomorrow - I plan to finish the Biology notebook and move on to Business Studies which will not prove very challenging time wise. I may possibly finish the Business Studies notebook as I am waking up at 9am to make a start.

I also will not start the past papers until all of my subject notebooks have been completed. I predict I will complete all of the notebooks by the end of this coming week if I am working productively and efficiently

Are you planning on doing a subject a day?
Original post by Sage25
Sunday 27th March

May I ask how you achieved such great grades for your report?
Reply 4
Hey, I'm doing 13 GCSEs and predicted 12 A*s too, I'd love to hit at least 10, maybe I should start seriously revising :biggrin:...need to borrow from your book
Original post by Sage25
So, recently I have had my report back. On the whole it was pretty good and almost on par with my original predictions.

Biology - A/A*
Business Studies - A*/A*
Chemistry - A*/A*
Computer Science - A/A
English Language - A*/A*
Further Maths - A*/A*
Geography - A*/A*
German - A/A
Maths - A*/A*
Physics - A*/A*
Religious Studies - A/B

However, as I aspire to study Economics at the likes of Cambridge and Princeton, I am aiming for the very best grades at GCSE as well as A-level.

Hi, first of all, amazing grades! :biggrin:
Do you have any advice for getting an A* in English Literature? I'm trying to bring up my grade to A*s in a few subjects as well :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by vaginaldischarge
im leaking

In some way, we are all leaking. Whether it be explicit, via the production of tears of disappointment, following the realisation of our pointless existence, or implicit, through a constant feeling of unequivocal shame at one's inability to break from the expectation of seeking acceptance, which gradually decays through the crevices of our skin, forming a layer of transparent guilt; a facade noticeable only to those who possess a similar recognition of the need for self-depreciation to survive in a state of automatic contemplation.

An interesting thought; thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by Federerr
Are you planning on doing a subject a day?

Yes, I plan to write up all of the subject specifications this week. One notebook per subject. I'll be writing one a day, spending the majority of my day doing so. Some days, I may be able to write two up if the subject spec is shorter and I am really working at my maximum capacity :smile:
Hey,
what is your board for science?how do you revise for sciences?
How are you planning to revise during easter?
I am revising each subject each day :smile: I guess it's much better :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Username3097486
May I ask how you achieved such great grades for your report?

My mock exams results were quite high plus I have a good relationship with all of my teachers. My report grades were their view on what I can achieve by the end of the year. But as mentioned before, I still want to achieve higher than what I am predicted. Generally, performing well in exams given in each subject (not just mocks) and having an input in class is what I would say gave me the grades for my report
Reply 10
Original post by CJKAllstar
Hey, I'm doing 13 GCSEs and predicted 12 A*s too, I'd love to hit at least 10, maybe I should start seriously revising :biggrin:...need to borrow from your book

Haha, I don't think you need to worry with your predictions. Considering I need to cram 2 years worth of information across 12 subjects in 7 weeks, I think it's a good idea for me to officially start.

With such great grades, what are your plans for the future may I ask? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by surina16
Hi, first of all, amazing grades! :biggrin:
Do you have any advice for getting an A* in English Literature? I'm trying to bring up my grade to A*s in a few subjects as well :smile:

Thanks! Haha

Well, for English Lit I am studying OMAM and Animal Farm, so it depends on what novel(s) you are going to answer questions on. But for general guidelines, read and have a solid understanding of the novel. Understand things such as the context and the characters. If you can understand the novel and the context, then I feel coming up with perceptive answers is just a little bit easier.

An example would be OMAM linked to the Great Depression and Steinbeck's views on 1920's/30s America

Or with Animal Farm linked to the uprising of USSR and the rise of Stalin as a political figure.

If you can make links to the context and you understand the characters as well as the characters motives, then achieving an A* should be much easier :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey,
what is your board for science?how do you revise for sciences?
How are you planning to revise during easter?
I am revising each subject each day :smile: I guess it's much better :smile:

My board is AQA for all three sciences.

Revising key terms I feel is important for the sciences (especially Biology), other than that revise like any other subject.

Knowing key terms will most likely score you more marks even if you don't fully understand the concepts behind them.

For Biology, I am highlighting key terms in red and any other general information in blue. If you are a visual learner, diagrams may also be useful.

As I have two weeks break for easter, the first week I want to try and complete my subject notebooks and the second start to focus on past papers and learning the mark schemes for each subject :smile:
Original post by Sage25
My mock exams results were quite high plus I have a good relationship with all of my teachers. My report grades were their view on what I can achieve by the end of the year. But as mentioned before, I still want to achieve higher than what I am predicted. Generally, performing well in exams given in each subject (not just mocks) and having an input in class is what I would say gave me the grades for my report

I can see that you're in a very stable position from your predicted grades. Mine are 8 as and 2bs due to the effect of last minute cramming and lack of care but I believe they are quite good considering i only did 1 or 2 days revision for each exam. But really I aspire to get the greatest grades I can(hopefully as many A*s as i can) because I am interested in working in a very competitive field
Reply 14
Original post by Sage25
Haha, I don't think you need to worry with your predictions. Considering I need to cram 2 years worth of information across 12 subjects in 7 weeks, I think it's a good idea for me to officially start.

With such great grades, what are your plans for the future may I ask? :smile:

History, Politics, Econ and Maths at A Levels, PPE at Oxford is my ideal <3, but if not I'd love to do Government and Econ at LSE or Economics and Politics at any other top uni. That's as far as I've planned for certain lol.

Lol the cramming :biggrin:. Tell me about it...idk if I'll meet my predicted grades. I do 13 subjects, 1 of which an A* is really hard (french urgh), the other is difficult but manageable (further maths), the rest there's *technically* nothing stopping me, but revision is so urghhhh...I'm not looking forward to any of this lol
Reply 15
Original post by Username3097486
I can see that you're in a very stable position from your predicted grades. Mine are 8 as and 2bs due to the effect of last minute cramming and lack of care but I believe they are quite good considering i only did 1 or 2 days revision for each exam. But really I aspire to get the greatest grades I can(hopefully as many A*s as i can) because I am interested in working in a very competitive field

I empathise with you on the 'cramming information in last minute' front. I think revising effectively and knowing how to allocate your time during revision is absolutely key. Anyway, considering your situation, you also seem to be in a promising position.

May I ask what the field is? :smile:
Original post by Sage25
My board is AQA for all three sciences.

Revising key terms I feel is important for the sciences (especially Biology), other than that revise like any other subject.

Knowing key terms will most likely score you more marks even if you don't fully understand the concepts behind them.

For Biology, I am highlighting key terms in red and any other general information in blue. If you are a visual learner, diagrams may also be useful.

As I have two weeks break for easter, the first week I want to try and complete my subject notebooks and the second start to focus on past papers and learning the mark schemes for each subject :smile:

Great thanks for the advice :smile: x
Original post by Sage25

Biology - A/A*
Business Studies - A*/A*
Chemistry - A*/A*
Computer Science - A/A
English Language - A*/A*
Further Maths - A*/A*
Geography - A*/A*
German - A/A
Maths - A*/A*
Physics - A*/A*
Religious Studies - A/B

I am documenting my revision each day for the easter break and most likely all the way through to my exams for my own reference and if possible to motivate others to revise. There are 7 weeks and 1 day until my first exam (Religious Studies - Unit 1), so I feel now is the right time to start revising older topics and familiarising myself with the specification of each subject again.

My revision contains two key components

1) Subject Specification
2) Past Papers

My revision guidelines

The Subject Notebook - I will be writing out the full specification of each subject in a notebook (All of the content which exam boards require us to know for the exam). Each notebook will be colour-coded to highlight: General Info, Important Info, Titles and Diagrams. This will be useful for revision closer to the exam period as everything will be there for reference

Past Papers - I have already printed all of the available past papers for each of my subjects. There are roughly 4-6 papers for each subject. I aim to complete all of them and if not all, then as many as possible. Getting to know the type of questions the exam board will ask as well as how to answer these questions will be vital as, after all, there are only so many questions which can be asked about the specification.

There are only two components of my revision however I feel they can provide me with good preparation for the exam as well as the knowledge and technique to achieve an A* in all of my subjects.

So, from here on in I will be documenting the revision I do each day to remind myself of the goal I am working towards and at the same time try to motivate others to revise and prepare for what is the culmination of two years of hard work.

Good luck with revision to all

Hey buddy, my first exam is RS too, good luck man.
Reply 18
Original post by CJKAllstar
History, Politics, Econ and Maths at A Levels, PPE at Oxford is my ideal <3, but if not I'd love to do Government and Econ at LSE or Economics and Politics at any other top uni. That's as far as I've planned for certain lol.

Lol the cramming :biggrin:. Tell me about it...idk if I'll meet my predicted grades. I do 13 subjects, 1 of which an A* is really hard (french urgh), the other is difficult but manageable (further maths), the rest there's *technically* nothing stopping me, but revision is so urghhhh...I'm not looking forward to any of this lol

Yeah, revision is a necessary evil haha

I hope to exceed my predicted grades which are already quite high which is why this revision is quite important haha

My A-levels choices are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics and I am planning on Economics a Uni :smile:

My 5 choices for Uni are currently:

1) Cambridge (Very closely followed by Princeton)
2) Princeton
3) LSE
4) UCL
5) Warwick
Reply 19
Original post by nisha.sri
Great thanks for the advice :smile: x

No problem. Happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest