The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

About to Reject LSE

Please convince me otherwise: really not sure what to do...

I have an offer to study Econ at LSE, but I'm very close to turning it down for Edinburgh (also Econ).
This is mainly due to 3 things:
1) Worried I won't be able to cope with the workload (have never done Economics).
2) Living costs/ quality of life in London (do I really want 3 years of struggling?).
3) Family telling me Edinburgh's reputation as an 'Ancient' reputation is much better.

Am I an idiot?

Scroll to see replies

Have you been on an open day to LSE?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Roryd9

I have an offer to study Econ at LSE, but I'm very close to turning it down for Edinburgh (also Econ).
1) Worried I won't be able to cope with the workload (have never done Economics).
2) Living costs/ quality of life in London (do I really want 3 years of struggling?).
3) Family telling me Edinburgh's reputation as an 'Ancient' reputation is much better.

Am I an idiot?

Hi, there are of course a lot of reasons to firm Edinburgh over lse, but just looking at your list quickly:

1) I believe the workload at edin will not be all that different, just a perception / culture at lse gives this idea
2) don't worry about costs, regardless of your household income there will be thousands of students who've been in your situation and been okay
3) edin is a great uni, but no one would say it has better reputation than lse. For banking careers, you could make a good case saying lse is the best uni in england.

Make sure you consider other factors, i.e. london as a city vs edin as a city
There is a reason why it is called the London School of Economics...

Original post by Roryd9
I imagine the work load will be very similar as Edinburgh still has quite high standards

Original post by Roryd9
This is true, however you need to have a long hard think about this. The "quality of life" might not be as bad as you think.

Original post by Roryd9
No. When people think about rep, nobody thinks about "Ancient" unless it's Oxbridge. I'm pretty sure that for Econ, LSE is up there (and some people say superior but idk) with Oxbridge. So if rep matters to you, then LSE definitely wins by far.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Roryd9

Am I an idiot?

I was in a similar situation before I turned Imperial down for Bristol (for Mechanical Engineering so not nearly as competitive as LSE econ) and I did it because I felt I'd be happier at Bristol and that the Bristol course, university, city, student life, atmosphere - everything - appealed to me much more than Imperial's. But you don't seem as sure about Edinburgh. Are your parents forcing you at all? You just need to decide where you'd rather be for the next three/four years.
Reply 5
Original post by Roryd9

Am I an idiot?

Personally I think they're about equal as far as econ. goes. Which do you think has the better course?
1) My friend does Economics at LSE and I do it at another university, his workload is slightly higher but it's fairly similar.
2) Living costs is a problem in London, however LSE has the highest starting salary graduates out of all unis if im not mistaken. Plus you get higher loans for London unis, also it's cheaper food and stuff as you have a tesco round the corner where as other unis you'll prob have their own shops in walking distance which are over priced (like my uni does). Imo don't let costs be the reason not to go to your preferred uni.
3) Lol LSE dominates Edinburghs reputation.

IMO I'd stick with LSEm but it's your call - it's your life hopefully you make the best decision for you, im sure whichever one you choose it will work out fine.
LSE's pros (at least some of them):
- outstanding UK and worldwide reputation
- one of the highest graduate prospects of the country
- in the middle of London, which might prove fun

LSE's cons (some others):
- London will murder your purse
- some students have the reputation to be reaaally career-oriented
- probably orthodox in its teaching, without many introductions to heterodox Economics

You have to think quite hard about what you want to do with your life for 3 full years. The LSE is a great investment but finding a job is not all about the prestige of the Uni you went to. Go where you think you'll perform best.
Reply 8
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Original post by melanin101
There is a reason why it is called the London School of Economics...

I imagine the work load will be very similar as Edinburgh still has quite high standards

This is true, however you need to have a long hard think about this. The "quality of life" might not be as bad as you think.

No. When people think about rep, nobody thinks about "Ancient" unless it's Oxbridge. I'm pretty sure that for Econ, LSE is up there (and some people say superior but idk) with Oxbridge. So if rep matters to you, then LSE definitely wins by far.

True- could I ask if you studied in London or studied Economics? My overall worry is whether or not the significant extra debt I would accumulate at LSE would be balanced by the 'enhanced' career prospects.
I'm aware nobody can make the decision for me, but the opinions of several well (better) informed people might help.
Reply 9
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Have you been on an open day to LSE?

I haven't- but I did go to one at UCL, and was impressed with the aura of student life in London. I imagine LSE will be fairly similar?
Original post by Roryd9

Am I an idiot?

yes you are idiot.

Lifetime benefits of going to LSE both for social connections & your career will make you regret picking Edinburgh every day for the rest of your life.

But do what you want. Who cares.
I personally think you are doing the right thing.
Reply 12
This is just so typical of TSR you try and have a decent conversation about something important and it turns to turd really pisses me off that these bastards act like bitches having a dog fight. :frown:

@OP the first thing that comes to mind is that Gordon Brown went to Edinburgh so it can't be that bad.
Reply 13
Original post by Thomb
This is just so typical of TSR you try and have a decent conversation about something important and it turns to turd really pisses me off that these bastards act like bitches having a dog fight. :frown:

@OP the first thing that comes to mind is that Gordon Brown went to Edinburgh so it can't be that bad.

Hence why I normally avidly avoid TSR.

While this may be true, Gordon Brown is the epitome of the kind of person I don't want to become, so I'll try not factor him into the decision.
Reply 14
Original post by Roryd9
Hence why I normally avidly avoid TSR.

While this may be true, Gordon Brown is the epitome of the kind of person I don't want to become, so I'll try not factor him into the decision.

If you want to be the opposite of Gordon Brown thats fine but if that were me I'd choose LSE because just instinctively I feel that LSE would give me a better career in econ than edingburgh. You'd be so close to the city you'd be feeling that vibe its gotta be more conducive to business than ednigburgh?
Original post by Roryd9

Am I an idiot?

It's perfectly reasonable to reject a university in favour of a less prestigious one, but I don't think your reasons for turning down your LSE offer are very good.

1) There probably won't be much of a difference in workload between the two - they are both very good universities. If LSE didn't think you were good enough they wouldn't have given you an offer. Unless you are planning to not do any work at all, workload probably shouldn't be a factor to consider.
2) London is more expensive, but your student loan will be increased to compensate somewhat AFAIK, and LSE may give you also give you a generous bursary (I know Imperial do).
3) Your family are wrong ! (No offence) LSE's reputation for economics is much better - it is pretty indisputably the third best in the UK, whereas Edinburgh (although still good) is behind Oxbridge, LSE, and arguably Bristol Warwick UCL Durham etc.

If you prefer the course or location of Edinburgh, go for that, but don't let your family pressure you into it!
Reply 16
Original post by sweeneyrod
It's perfectly reasonable to reject a university in favour of a less prestigious one, but I don't think your reasons for turning down your LSE offer are very good.

1) There probably won't be much of a difference in workload between the two - they are both very good universities. If LSE didn't think you were good enough they wouldn't have given you an offer. Unless you are planning to not do any work at all, workload probably shouldn't be a factor to consider.
2) London is more expensive, but your student loan will be increased to compensate somewhat AFAIK, and LSE may give you also give you a generous bursary (I know Imperial do).
3) Your family are wrong ! (No offence) LSE's reputation for economics is much better - it is pretty indisputably the third best in the UK, whereas Edinburgh (although still good) is behind Oxbridge, LSE, and arguably Bristol Warwick UCL Durham etc.

If you prefer the course or location of Edinburgh, go for that, but don't let your family pressure you into it!

I agree with this bit.
Original post by Roryd9
I haven't- but I did go to one at UCL, and was impressed with the aura of student life in London. I imagine LSE will be fairly similar?

You don't know that one for sure. You need to check out LSE and Edinburgh both to see which atmosphere you like more. Then you choose :smile:
Reply 18
LSE is always the better choice because of the brand recognition. However;

- Teaching at LSE is ****
- LSE halls are ****
- It's full of spoiled rich kids who don't have a clue about the real world
- Staff are self-interested. They have a very candid 'why are you wasting my time' attitude.
- There is very little social life, but it's easy (actually easier) to make friends elsewhere in London
- Currently half the campus is torn up for redevelopment
- Good luck ever finding a library seat unless you wake up at 5 am
Original post by Roryd9

Am I an idiot?

1) Most people will feel like this, you'll be in the same boat as a lot of others. Clearly, you've been offered a place at LSE because the admissions tutors believe you have what it takes to do well on the course. Don't let the difficulty put you off.

2) This is a real problem, and for some people (me included) is a dealbreaker. I'll be turning down a London uni as well because I can't justify the costs - although, my alternative was of equal standing 'rep' wise.. Have you tried calling up LSE to see what sort of scholarships they have available on offer? Maybe look into the kind of jobs you could get part time?

3) Edinburgh does have the 'ancient' angle going for it, but LSE ultimately is the best for Economics. The brand name is strong, and will be recognised across the globe - so will Edinburgh's, but not to the same extent in finance/econ circles.

You wouldn't be making a 'stupid' decision at all; but I'd urge you to at least consider LSE a tad more. Do some research into costs/scholarships to see if it's a viable option and then whatever decision you come to will be at least a well-informed one. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll end up somewhere awesome after uni if you put the hard work both into your degree and outside of it. It's a very personal decision at the end of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending