The Student Room Group

Tips for GCSE English Language and Literature?

I'm aiming for at least an A in both subjects, but i keep getting roughly C's in language and B's in lit. My teacher is quite good but we don't get any individual help as she teaches two top sets and A level classes, so it's hard to know how exactly i need to improve. Anyway, if anybody has any tips it would be much appreciated, especially anyone who has already sat their GCSEs and done well. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Two words: Mr Bruff
Original post by iamayesha
I'm aiming for at least an A in both subjects, but i keep getting roughly C's in language and B's in lit. My teacher is quite good but we don't get any individual help as she teaches two top sets and A level classes, so it's hard to know how exactly i need to improve. Anyway, if anybody has any tips it would be much appreciated, especially anyone who has already sat their GCSEs and done well. :smile:

In language, are your weaknesses in the creative writing part or the 1st part where you need to read the texts? (Assuming that's the structure of your paper?)

And in lit, you'll need to master the structure of the essay and read the entire book again before the exams (there is no alternative)

Focus on what your teacher writes done as targets in your essays.

If you have any questions feel free to ask (I got A*s in both but it was last year, so things are a little hazy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by nomophobia
In language, are your weaknesses in the creative writing part or the 1st part where you need to read the texts? (Assuming that's the structure of your paper?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done the creative writing as controlled assessments, it's the reading paper I'm struggling with. My teacher said i sometimes get my positioning wrong? I think i struggle with the 'how' questions to do with the writer, and i find the timing hard to stick to.

Congratulations on your A*s!!

Quick question; what grade was your controlled assessment folder at? I think mines at a low A for language and i want to know if it will restrict me from getting an A/A*.
Reply 4
Original post by JoshuaE
Two words: Mr Bruff

haha thanks.

But he does AQA videos im on WJEC...will that make a difference?
Reply 5
haha thanks.

i don't think it will because i do wjec as well but it is much more better to learn something from your exam board since different exam boards will want different things,

for English language i would read a lot of non-fiction books, articles. AND i would practise writing stuff like letters, article,leaflet and get them marked by a teacher or someone and get feedback to improve next time.

For English literature try to learn as much quotes as you can. to get high marks on a lit exam i do point, quote, explanation.

what stuff are you learning in English literature, i'm learnig romeo and juliet , christmas carol , poetry etc

hope this helped. if you want to ask more questions you can pm me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by geek567
i don't think it will because i do wjec as well but it is much more better to learn something from your exam board since different exam boards will want different things,

for English language i would read a lot of non-fiction books, articles. AND i would practise writing stuff like letters, article,leaflet and get them marked by a teacher or someone and get feedback to improve next time.

For English literature try to learn as much quotes as you can. to get high marks on a lit exam i do point, quote, explanation.

what stuff are you learning in English literature, i'm learnig romeo and juliet , christmas carol , poetry etc

hope this helped. if you want to ask more questions you can pm me :smile:

And i'm studying lord of the flies, a view from the bridge and of mice and men, and did Romeo and Juliet last year.

I think my main problem is that i have nobody to mark my any extra essays i'd do at home, since my teacher is so busy. I will try to ask after easter, though.

How're you finding the books for lit?
I've done the creative writing as controlled assessments, it's the reading paper I'm struggling with. My teacher said i sometimes get my positioning wrong? I think i struggle with the 'how' questions to do with the writer, and i find the timing hard to stick to.

Congratulations on your A*s!!

Quick question; what grade was your controlled assessment folder at? I think mines at a low A for language and i want to know if it will restrict me from getting an A/A*.

Positioning? What a weird way to phrase it. Maybe she means your structure is a little off? Just ask your teacher at the end of the lesson before she disappears. Oh yeah, I remember that one being quite difficult, do you mean the question about feelings or the one about language features? Either way, keep practising the questions you struggle with, even if they're absolutely rubbish at first, you'll improve. I think everyone struggled with the timing but I had extra time so it wasn't an issue for me.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Mine was a high A (my teacher told me I was half a mark off an A*). It depends on how well you do in the paper - I'm assuming the controlled assessment is 25% of your grade so if you do really well on the paper, you'll still be able to get an A/A*

At least it sounds like you have a good teacher - my teacher was very much a "you either got it or you don't" teacher and most people struggled.

Sorry about the long post, I know I talk too much.
Posted from TSR Mobile
haha thanks.

I'm in Year 10 studying GCSE English Literature and Language on WJEC too. Im a grade A in both types of English. If you're revising English Literature, for example the Inspector Calls I suggest you make separate grid on the characters, themes and an overview of the story. Trust me it Really helps.

You need help in English Language right? I think you should look at past papers....which you can find online and answer the questions then mark your answers using the Mark Scheme just to get familiar with what the exam board is asking for. Hope this helped.:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by *Alisha*
I'm in Year 10 studying GCSE English Literature and Language on WJEC too. Im a grade A in both types of English. If you're revising English Literature, for example the Inspector Calls I suggest you make separate grid on the characters, themes and an overview of the story. Trust me it Really helps.

You need help in English Language right? I think you should look at past papers....which you can find online and answer the questions then mark your answers using the Mark Scheme just to get familiar with what the exam board is asking for. Hope this helped.:smile:

Thankyou :smile:

And i'm studying lord of the flies, a view from the bridge and of mice and men, and did Romeo and Juliet last year.

I think my main problem is that i have nobody to mark my any extra essays i'd do at home, since my teacher is so busy. I will try to ask after easter, though.

How're you finding the books for lit?

i haven't studied lord of the flies, a view from the bridge but the rest i have. the websites i go on is on bbc bitesize

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/dramaromeojuliet/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/prosemicemen/

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006226 (this is someone revision notes not mine and i have to say this helped alot.
Reply 11
Positioning? What a weird way to phrase it. Maybe she means your structure is a little off? Just ask your teacher at the end of the lesson before she disappears.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah.. i think it's because in one of the questions it asked me how the writer proved something and i started talking about the persuasive techniques.

Oh yeah, I remember that one being quite difficult, do you mean the question about feelings or the one about language features?

Both, actually :/

Thanks for the reply i appreciate it so much. This really motivates me!
Reply 12
Original post by geek567
i haven't studied lord of the flies, a view from the bridge but the rest i have. the websites i go on is on bbc bitesize

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/dramaromeojuliet/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/prosemicemen/

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006226 (this is someone revision notes not mine and i have to say this helped alot.

Thankyou so much!! the student room one looks really good
Thankyou :smile:

Your Welcome:smile:
But.....I'm not sure about what you mean about ''positioning''.....do you mean the structure of your writing?
If yes in approaching the exam make 5 point plan (My teacher suggests this). Spend 5 minutes bullet pointing the key points your going to write about and convert them into paragraphs and see what would make sense. Don't spend more then 5 minutes or your going to loose time.
Thankyou so much!! the student room one looks really good

your welcome. if you want more advise you can pm me :smile:
What poetry cluster are you doing?
Reply 16
Original post by *Alisha*
Your Welcome:smile:
But.....I'm not sure about what you mean about ''positioning''.....do you mean the structure of your writing?
If yes in approaching the exam make 5 point plan (My teacher suggests this). Spend 5 minutes bullet pointing the key points your going to write about and convert them into paragraphs and see what would make sense. Don't spend more then 5 minutes or your going to loose time.

Thanks

and i think i basically answer the questions wrong sometimes lol. In a prove question i started to talk about persuasive techniques..

But i'll have a go at the bullet point thing :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by queenfluffy23
What poetry cluster are you doing?

what do you mean?
All i know is that it's unseen poetry
what do you mean?
All i know is that it's unseen poetry

As in you must be learning poems from an anthology.. What set of poems are you doing? I have a link to a student room forum that has really useful poetry pdf files
Thanks

and i think i basically answer the questions wrong sometimes lol. In a prove question i started to talk about persuasive techniques..

But i'll have a go at the bullet point thing :smile:

Oh ok if a question is asking you how did the author present this character? Then start off with a clear sentence that directly answers the question just to show the examiner you know what your talking about. Also use PEE to structure your writing
Point
Evidence
Explanation
for each paragraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending