The Student Room Group

Pakistani, Feminist, A Level Student AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plutarch
I think you're only the second Pakistani I've met whose said that!

I'm a Pakistani female and I FULLY support her and I know many people,especially women in my country who do too. The media likes to focus on the ones that don't because well, what kind of headline would that make if they said 'Pakistan loves Malala' -the whole world does. No doubt there are many who can't stand her but they don't want to accept reality
People who can't stand Malala, are people who feel that she hasn't t done anything to deserve that Nobel Prize. She did speak up about poor education and terrorism, but her opinion didn't do **** to change any of that. I do appreciate the courage it takes to stand up in a society where people might retaliate with violence. Real heroes like Dr. Ruth Pfau bring real change in places like Pakistan. I support malala and all she has done. But the haters do present some real arguable points.
Original post by Asfand1996
People who can't stand Malala, are people who feel that she hasn't t done anything to deserve that Nobel Prize. She did speak up about poor education and terrorism, but her opinion didn't do **** to change any of that. I do appreciate the courage it takes to stand up in a society where people might retaliate with violence. Real heroes like Dr. Ruth Pfau bring real change in places like Pakistan. I support malala and all she has done. But the haters do present some real arguable points.

She was shot in the ****ing head purely for daring to seek an education.

She has then become a global icon in the fight for female emancipation in Pakistan and across the globe. She was 14 at the time, for crying out loud.

Just because you think that she didn't do enough (WTF do you want from her? She doesn't owe anyone anything) to merit the Nobel prize is hardly a reason to be a "hater", how pathetic.

This isn't aimed at you in particular, but those that do 'hate' on her are truly the most pathetic of specimens.
Original post by Christ Redeems
She was shot in the ****ing head purely for daring to seek an education.

She has then become a global icon in the fight for female emancipation in Pakistan and across the globe. She was 14 at the time, for crying out loud.

Just because you think that she didn't do enough (WTF do you want from her? She doesn't owe anyone anything) to merit the Nobel prize is hardly a reason to be a "hater", how pathetic.

This isn't aimed at you in particular, but those that do 'hate' on her are truly the most pathetic of specimens.

Looks like we've found something we disagree on. :eek4:
Original post by Hydeman
Looks like we've found something we disagree on. :eek4:

Do go on.
Original post by Christ Redeems
Do go on.

I just said I support Malala, I didn't say I was a hated her. I just think that there are people in Pakistan, who have done much more for our country then just getting shot in the head, Who don't have time to blog about stuff on the internet, because they are out doing actual work. Many young girls have been blown to bits and schools demolished by US drone attacks. No one seems to care. The world is influenced by western media. Last year, almost 200 school kids got killed in a terrorist attack, do they get a Nobel prize? A kid gave his life by stopping a suicide bomber targeting a school full of children, Where's his Nobel prize? It offends me that people only care about malala because she was praised more by the media than the other heroes. Documentaries, Celebrities (David Beckham, the Queen) lining up to meet her, awards for recognition, etc. Why don't the kids from APS get treated like that; who also got shot, who lost their brothers and sisters ;who still go to that very same school everyday. Do you even know their names? How can you even think you know more about the people of my country than I do.
Last year, almost 200 school kids got killed in a terrorist attack, do they get a Nobel prize?
A kid gave his life by stopping a suicide bomber targeting a school full of children, Where's his Nobel prize?

The rules state that Nobel Prizes cannot be awarded posthumously. :dontknow:

It offends me that people only care about malala because she was praised more by the media than the other heroes. Documentaries, Celebrities (David Beckham, the Queen) lining up to meet her, awards for recognition, etc. Why don't the kids from APS get treated like that; who also got shot, who lost their brothers and sisters ;who still go to that very same school everyday. Do you even know their names?

Largely agree with the general sentiment of this, if not the assumption, made both by you and those who are devotees of Yousafzai, that getting shot is worth a Nobel Prize. (I may be getting it wrong, but your main issue seems to be that all these other people weren't honoured for the same reason and in the same way rather than a general opposition to giving Nobel Peace Prizes to people just for getting shot.)

How can you even think you know more about the people of my country than I do.

This is silly; you're appealing to your origins to claim credibility. While it's true that the average Pakistani knows more about Pakistan than the average Brit, it can't simply be said that any Pakistani must necessarily know more about Pakistan and Pakistanis than a non-Pakistani by virtue of their Pakistani nationality.
Original post by Kamran Fazal
I'm currently studying Pre-Engineering (Maths,Physics,Chemistry). Totally against male dominance in a relationship, women are just as capable as men.

if your just as capable as me do 500 pressups on the dot now and let me know how it was
I just said I support Malala, I didn't say I was a hated her. I just think that there are people in Pakistan, who have done much more for our country then just getting shot in the head, Who don't have time to blog about stuff on the internet, because they are out doing actual work. Many young girls have been blown to bits and schools demolished by US drone attacks. No one seems to care. The world is influenced by western media. Last year, almost 200 school kids got killed in a terrorist attack, do they get a Nobel prize? A kid gave his life by stopping a suicide bomber targeting a school full of children, Where's his Nobel prize? It offends me that people only care about malala because she was praised more by the media than the other heroes. Documentaries, Celebrities (David Beckham, the Queen) lining up to meet her, awards for recognition, etc. Why don't the kids from APS get treated like that; who also got shot, who lost their brothers and sisters ;who still go to that very same school everyday. Do you even know their names? How can you even think you know more about the people of my country than I do.

i think malala is met by celebrities becuase of what she represents more than what she has done.
you have to remember what she was shot in the face for - ie standing up to violent islamist trying to impose islamic curfews on her and other muslims women to keep her indoors , away from education, commerce and other 'preserves of conservative islamic male society'
i personally would like her to be even more vocal against the islamist powers that run so much of pakistani society behind the scenes, even though she has been quite candid in her book about the backward path her country has taken trying to become more islamic in governance.

that said she is just a young girl and has shown more back bone to standup to islamist groups than majority of grown up male muslims in the world

Quick Reply

Latest