London

About to Reject LSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jco19
LSE is always the better choice because of the brand recognition. However;

- Teaching at LSE is ****
- LSE halls are ****
- It's full of spoiled rich kids who don't have a clue about the real world
- Staff are self-interested. They have a very candid 'why are you wasting my time' attitude.
- There is very little social life, but it's easy (actually easier) to make friends elsewhere in London
- Currently half the campus is torn up for redevelopment
- Good luck ever finding a library seat unless you wake up at 5 am

Teaching at LSE in the more quantitative departments is not good at least in first year. That much I admit.
LSE halls vary: go for the catered halls: passfield is amazing, and roseberry and Carr Saunders are good as well. Sharing a room will save you money (shared room rents are frozen) and you'll get a much bigger room also. I'm paying 100 a week to stay in freaking Bloomsbury which is amazing.
Social life if you're not in a social hall can be quite bad I've heard: but depends on what you make of it
Half the campus is torn up for redevelopment. At least u won't be as unlucky as the class of 2018 who have to spend three years of their degree on a construction site

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Original post by jco19

- LSE halls are ****
- Staff are self-interested. They have a very candid 'why are you wasting my time' attitude.
- There is very little social life, but it's easy (actually easier) to make friends elsewhere in London

Thanks for the input. Source?
Wow, congrats on the LSE offer. Edinburgh is pretty good though :wink:
Original post by Roryd9
Please convince me otherwise: really not sure what to do...

I have an offer to study Econ at LSE, but I'm very close to turning it down for Edinburgh (also Econ).
This is mainly due to 3 things:
1) Worried I won't be able to cope with the workload (have never done Economics).
2) Living costs/ quality of life in London (do I really want 3 years of struggling?).
3) Family telling me Edinburgh's reputation as an 'Ancient' reputation is much better.

Am I an idiot?

The fact you are asking to be persuaded otherwise tells me you have already persuaded yourself not to do it. You don't need confirmation from a bunch of strangers. Having said that, do what you know will be best for you. At the end of the day, you are the best judge.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would choose LSE just because your future would basically be set. After Oxbridge, it's one of the best universities in the country. Your reasons for not wanting to go are not convincing enough and I think you need to be smart and pragmatic rather than follow with your heart or your parents choice. To answer your question: I think anyone who turns down LSE for Edinburgh, in my opinion, is an idiot.
Original post by NeoMarxist
I would choose LSE just because your future would basically be set. After Oxbridge, it's one of the best universities in the country. Your reasons for not wanting to go are not convincing enough and I think you need to be smart and pragmatic rather than follow with your heart or your parents choice. To answer your question: I think anyone who turns down LSE for Edinburgh, in my opinion, is an idiot.

This isn't wholly accurate.. A lot of opportunities are available from LSE but you have to actually be good enough to get them. Likewise, a top notch individual with tonnes of leadership experience/work experience from Edinburgh would outcompete an average LSE student for top jobs. There are no guarantees in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Roryd9
Maths, Biology, Modern Studies

wtf is modern studies?
Original post by Thomb
wtf is modern studies?

Scottish Advanced Higher/Higher/Nat 5 subject. Basically involves learning about the political/economical issues surrounding modern day countries. Basically a 'current affairs' subject.
Original post by jco19

- LSE halls are ****

I agree about the halls - absolutely third rate
Reply 29
Original post by Princepieman
Scottish Advanced Higher/Higher/Nat 5 subject. Basically involves learning about the political/economical issues surrounding modern day countries. Basically a 'current affairs' subject.

Is it respectable? I mean it must be if OP got an from LSE - right?
Original post by Thomb

Yes, it's a great subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Yes, it's a great subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like it does the job I'm into political science but not too hot on maths. Does the course involve a lot of maths do you know?
Reply 32
Original post by Thomb
Sounds like it does the job I'm into political science but not too hot on maths. Does the course involve a lot of maths do you know?

Modern Studies is gaining respect, although I was surprised when LSE and UCL made me offers given that some see it is less challenging (not true). It's very interesting.
Are you asking whether their is a lot of maths in Modern Studies or Economics?
None in Modern Studies, lots in Econ.
Reply 33
Original post by AstarAstarA
I agree about the halls - absolutely third rate

Current LSE student? What are intercollegiate halls like?
Reply 34
Original post by Roryd9
Modern Studies is gaining respect, although I was surprised when LSE and UCL made me offers given that some see it is less challenging (not true). It's very interesting.
Are you asking whether their is a lot of maths in Modern Studies or Economics?
None in Modern Studies, lots in Econ.

I was asking about modern studies not economics. What's inside the box?
Reply 35
Original post by JohnGreek
Which halls are you referring to, specifically? Just want to check whether I've dodged a bullet or not for my accommodation :smile:

Are you going to LSE and have already applied for accommodation? I feel I'm so behind.
Original post by Thomb

It's generally regarded at same level as History or English in Scotland, most people I know who have applied for law, politics, economics etc. have taken Modern Studies.

Original post by Roryd9
Current LSE student? What are intercollegiate halls like?

If you're still deciding on LSE vs Edinburgh, one thing to note is that SAAS doesn't seem to provide a London weighting any more (i.e. give you more money to balance out the costs of living in London).

That being said, I'm a Scottish student and have firmed Imperial College over Edinburgh for medicine as I prefer the course structure, prefer the city, don't mind the costs (actually I do but I'll somehow get through) and if I ever decide I don't want to be a doctor, a degree from Imperial will take me much further than a degree from Edinburgh would.

Think about which one you would rather take up and also succeed in, don't let factors like your parents and money weigh you down since your parents will be happy wherever you go and you'll pay back student loans eventually anyway.
Original post by not you
It's generally regarded at same level as History or English in Scotland, most people I know who have applied for law, politics, economics etc. have taken Modern Studies.

If you're still deciding on LSE vs Edinburgh, one thing to note is that SAAS doesn't seem to provide a London weighting any more (i.e. give you more money to balance out the costs of living in London).

That being said, I'm a Scottish student and have firmed Imperial College over Edinburgh for medicine as I prefer the course structure, prefer the city, don't mind the costs (actually I do but I'll somehow get through) and if I ever decide I don't want to be a doctor, a degree from Imperial will take me much further than a degree from Edinburgh would.

Think about which one you would rather take up and also succeed in, don't let factors like your parents and money weigh you down since your parents will be happy wherever you go and you'll pay back student loans eventually anyway.

Yep, they mysteriously removed it in 2011 without telling anyone, basically screwing over all the Scottish students that were currently studying in London. It's also the reason I can't go to UCL - even if I'm getting the full amount + grant from UCL, I won't have much left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, they mysteriously removed it in 2011 without telling anyone, basically screwing over all the Scottish students that were currently studying in London. It's also the reason I can't go to UCL - even if I'm getting the full amount + grant from UCL, I won't have much left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think we can combine a SAAS loan for £9k tuition fees and a SLC England maintenance loan with the London weighting? Or does it have to be all from SAAS?
Original post by not you
Do you think we can combine a SAAS loan for £9k tuition fees and a SLC England maintenance loan with the London weighting? Or does it have to be all from SAAS?

SAAS are the ones that process our loans/grants with guidance from the Scottish government, the SLC are the ones who administer the loans (actually pay them out). I don't think it'd be possible to get the london weighting :/

I'll give SAAS a ring soon to get their take on it as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending