The Student Room Group

The straight and narrow path to 12A*'s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LearnForYOU
Hey buddy, my first exam is RS too, good luck man.

RS is the bane of my life :/

Although I am predicted an A for it, I feel it is one of the easiest subjects haha

Good luck in your exams too! :smile:
Original post by Sage25

Although I am predicted an A for it, I feel it is one of the easiest subjects haha

Oh and thanks for mentioning specifications, i never realized until now how helpful they really are haha.
Reply 22
Oh and thanks for mentioning specifications, i never realized until now how helpful they really are haha.

Yeah no problem haha

I mean, you can look through your books for all of the info but in reality teachers may not teach every aspect of the spec and the spec is easily accessible on the exam board website.

Everything is right in front of your eyes

At the end of the day, the specification is everything the exam board wants you to know, so for me, that's all I need for revision haha :smile:
Original post by Sage25
Yeah no problem haha

I mean, you can look through your books for all of the info but in reality teachers may not teach every aspect of the spec and the spec is easily accessible on the exam board website.

Everything is right in front of your eyes

At the end of the day, the specification is everything the exam board wants you to know, so for me, that's all I need for revision haha :smile:

nice one buddy, hope you smash those exams and get those A*'s
Original post by Sage25
I empathise with you on the 'cramming information in last minute' front. I think revising effectively and knowing how to allocate your time during revision is absolutely key. Anyway, considering your situation, you also seem to be in a promising position.

May I ask what the field is? :smile:

Astrophysics.
In order for this to occur, I'm taking extremely difficult A level subjects (Maths, Further maths, Physics and Chemistry)
The ironic thing is that, physics and maths used to be my weakest subjects, yet I'm interested in those alot.
I got from a D in my year 10 report to an A in year 11 which is a good achievement for me. How about you?
EDIT: Sorry about that, you mentioned economics already in your post :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sage25
Thanks! Haha

Well, for English Lit I am studying OMAM and Animal Farm, so it depends on what novel(s) you are going to answer questions on. But for general guidelines, read and have a solid understanding of the novel. Understand things such as the context and the characters. If you can understand the novel and the context, then I feel coming up with perceptive answers is just a little bit easier.

An example would be OMAM linked to the Great Depression and Steinbeck's views on 1920's/30s America

Or with Animal Farm linked to the uprising of USSR and the rise of Stalin as a political figure.

If you can make links to the context and you understand the characters as well as the characters motives, then achieving an A* should be much easier :smile:

Thanks :smile: Unfortunately I'm doing Unit 4 instead of the poetry unit (:colonhash:) so I'm doing OMAM, AIC, Macbeth and Pride and Prejudice... the joy....
Original post by Sage25

Hey, I wanted to ask you study for RE, as I still can't grasp some details. Also, how do you revise maths? Thanks :smile:
Reply 27
nice one buddy, hope you smash those exams and get those A*'s

Thank you. Hope you achieve your exam goals as well :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Username3097486
Astrophysics.
In order for this to occur, I'm taking extremely difficult A level subjects (Maths, Further maths, Physics and Chemistry)
The ironic thing is that, physics and maths used to be my weakest subjects, yet I'm interested in those alot.
I got from a D in my year 10 report to an A in year 11 which is a good achievement for me. How about you?
EDIT: Sorry about that, you mentioned economics already in your post :P

Oh, I am aware that many science based subjects are competitive. Also, quite an interesting field you've chose haha

I'm taking the same A-levels as you apart from Chemistry (I was contemplating taking Chemistry as a 5th AS), however my Maths choices are geared more towards a highly mathematical course at Cambridge for Economics. My choice of Physics was purely down to my passion and love for the subject.

Any particular uni you are looking to apply to for Astrophysics? :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by surina16
Thanks :smile: Unfortunately I'm doing Unit 4 instead of the poetry unit (:colonhash:) so I'm doing OMAM, AIC, Macbeth and Pride and Prejudice... the joy....

Oh, I feel for you haha :smile:

I'm reading OMAM and Animal Farm for Understanding Prose and then reading (I believe) Clashes & Collisions for Understanding Poetry

Honestly, I find Poetry and Prose quite easy in comparison to other subjects (Especially Prose)

What are your predictions for Lang/Lit? :smile:
Original post by Sage25
Oh, I am aware that many science based subjects are competitive. Also, quite an interesting field you've chose haha

I'm taking the same A-levels as you apart from Chemistry (I was contemplating taking Chemistry as a 5th AS), however my Maths choices are geared more towards a highly mathematical course at Cambridge for Economics. My choice of Physics was purely down to my passion and love for the subject.

Any particular uni you are looking to apply to for Astrophysics? :smile:

Huge goal? Imperial
Dream? Cambridge xD
It seems so so so so so unlikely to get in them. Fortunately for us our A levels haven't started yet so I'm definitely gonna bust my arse off on day 1. But I don't have time to think about that, gotta focus on these Gcse's first!:u:
Reply 31
Original post by alishba-rosex
Hey, I wanted to ask you study for RE, as I still can't grasp some details. Also, how do you revise maths? Thanks :smile:

For RE, I would say look over Religious Teachings (Quotes) as I feel in the exam, dropping some quotes can get you extra marks and, like key words, show the examiner you have a solid understanding of whatever you are talking about (even though that may not be the case).

Overall, just look at Religious Teachings and try memorising the KCV (Key Concept Vocabulary) for each unit. Although I will be going more in depth for my RS revision, I feel learning these two aspects of RS can help tremendously

As for Maths, I wouldn't say I have a particular technique or revision tool for it. I generally just learn how to solve each part of a problem. Know what you have trouble understanding and really get to grip with how to answer a question on it :smile:
Reply 32
Huge goal? Imperial
Dream? Cambridge xD
It seems so so so so so unlikely to get in them. Fortunately for us our A levels haven't started yet so I'm definitely gonna bust my arse off on day 1. But I don't have time to think about that, gotta focus on these Gcse's first!:u:

I agree. GCSE's are more important now than ever due to A-level reform. Now that AS levels won't be around, Unis as competitive as Cambridge can only judge candidates on GCSE results and A-level predictions and possibly the pre-interview assessment, which will be designed to replace the judging of AS level results and UMS (since pooling for interview was based on UMS marks at AS).

So, I am working as hard as possible to achieve outstanding GCSE results. :smile:
Original post by Sage25
I agree. GCSE's are more important now than ever due to A-level reform. Now that AS levels won't be around, Unis as competitive as Cambridge can only judge candidates on GCSE results and A-level predictions and possibly the pre-interview assessment, which will be designed to replace the judging of AS level results and UMS (since pooling for interview was based on UMS marks at AS).

So, I am working as hard as possible to achieve outstanding GCSE results. :smile:

Hoolyy crap. Now im under more pressure:afraid:
Little bit off topic...but regarding your revision technique, when you write your specification out I presume that you use a CGP revision guide to explain unclear parts? (e.g: Candidates should know how water is purified blah blah) How are you using this method for subjects like Computer Science. Because I'm also studying it, yet the spec is vague and there aren't many revision sources out there.

Also, are you not doing any other revision techniques? (Flashcards etc.)
Original post by Sage25
Oh, I feel for you haha :smile:

I'm reading OMAM and Animal Farm for Understanding Prose and then reading (I believe) Clashes & Collisions for Understanding Poetry

Honestly, I find Poetry and Prose quite easy in comparison to other subjects (Especially Prose)

What are your predictions for Lang/Lit? :smile:

English is definitely up there in my worst subjects list :biggrin:
I'm predicted A*s in both but I honestly don't see it happening :/ :redface:
Reply 35
Hoolyy crap. Now im under more pressure:afraid:
Little bit off topic...but regarding your revision technique, when you write your specification out I presume that you use a CGP revision guide to explain unclear parts? (e.g: Candidates should know how water is purified blah blah) How are you using this method for subjects like Computer Science. Because I'm also studying it, yet the spec is vague and there aren't many revision sources out there.

Also, are you not doing any other revision techniques? (Flashcards etc.)

No, for most subjects I will be using the exam board specification online. If, like you said, the specification does not provide enough detail then I will refer back to my books for class notes as well as other websites online.

For Computer Science, I will be using the basics of what is on the spec and then go into more depth using my Computer Science folder and a website called 'Codio' which goes into slightly more depth on the syllabus.

I won't be buying any guides as, although they are useful, I feel they are unnecessary if you understand the spec.

Besides, my notebook revision is only half of the picture. My completion of past papers and learning the mark schemes will also provide me with amazing knowledge going into my exams. Often, exam boards will use the same questions just wording them differently :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by surina16
English is definitely up there in my worst subjects list :biggrin:
I'm predicted A*s in both but I honestly don't see it happening :/ :redface:

Most of the time I find it incredibly boring however there are some moments during class which get me thinking haha

I've just done a language mock and I feel it was incredibly easy. Prose just takes some getting used to I guess haha

What are your A-level choices? :smile:
Original post by Sage25
No, for most subjects I will be using the exam board specification online. If, like you said, the specification does not provide enough detail then I will refer back to my books for class notes as well as other websites online.

For Computer Science, I will be using the basics of what is on the spec and then go into more depth using my Computer Science folder and a website called 'Codio' which goes into slightly more depth on the syllabus.

I won't be buying any guides as, although they are useful, I feel they are unnecessary if you understand the spec.

Besides, my notebook revision is only half of the picture. My completion of past papers and learning the mark schemes will also provide me with amazing knowledge going into my exams. Often, exam boards will use the same questions just wording them differently :smile:

Cheers for that. Do you do AQA Comp sci by any chance?
Hi there, congratulations on your outstanding report!
I also have a blog, however I'm not aiming for quite as many A*s as you!
It would mean a lot if you would check it out:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897617

Thanks, and good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 39
Cheers for that. Do you do AQA Comp sci by any chance?

No. OCR Computer Science unfortunately :/

Quick Reply

Latest