The Student Room Group

Why do some 'normal' Facebook profile pictures get so many likes?

I know its only Facebook but why would normal or average profile pictures get so many likes? Like they are just pictures of a face, nothing out of the ordinary :redface:

I recently posted a profile pic and got nearly 100 likes and a few comments :lolwut: It was just a standard pic of my smiling face/top half of body but I wasn't expecting so many likes, especially since I used to get max 25 likes on previous pictures, and I dont have like 1000+ friends either

Scroll to see replies

I don"t know what you want us to tell you. Did you show cleavage
People have such strange preoccupying thoughts nowadays.
Reply 3
Original post by hezzlington
I don"t know what you want us to tell you. Did you show cleavage

nope, literally just my face + wearing a thick winter coat

I'm just curious at the phenomenon that is social media 'likes'
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BristolFresher15
People have such strange preoccupying thoughts nowadays.

ikr, I'm sure most are too busy saving the world and tackling global warming to be thinking about these things
Cos you have a lot of friend's who like you. If you don't like people liking your pic then put it on private or simply deactivate.
Because you're popular
One of my friends updated their profile pic recently, who also got almost 100 links, who also only showed their top half and face and was also wearing a thick winter coat... But it's probably not you.
Reply 8
Original post by Dilzo999
One of my friends updated their profile pic recently, who also got almost 100 links, who also only showed their top half and face and was also wearing a thick winter coat... But it's probably not you.

is it a he or she? Why do you think it got so many likes?
Lol sometimes I wonder this, but I think it comes down to either loyalty because you feel like you have to like someones pic OR because the person is a nice person you like it anyways.
Maybe a combination of both
Original post by tootles44
is it a he or she? Why do you think it got so many likes?

Girl, and I have no idea why she got that many likes? She is pretty hot though so maybe that's why. Also my friend recently told me it depends on what time of the day you've updated the picture as well as you probably won't be getting any likes after a day or so.
Reply 11
Original post by Dilzo999
Girl, and I have no idea why she got that many likes? She is pretty hot though so maybe that's why. Also my friend recently told me it depends on what time of the day you've updated the picture as well as you probably won't be getting any likes after a day or so.

i see, was it a nice picture?
i see, was it a nice picture?

I thought it was, I mean it was like you said, just a random picture of their face and top half, nothing out of the ordinary/special.
my last profile pic with my face in it is two years old and has 10 likes when i had about 120 friends
my latest profile picture was literally just my wrist with a clients gold rolex, my class ring, my signet ring, my pinkie ring and a gold cuban bracelet when i had 215 friend yet got 70 likes
so it doesn't make any sense to me at all
Reply 14
I know its only Facebook but why would normal or average profile pictures get so many likes? Like they are just pictures of a face, nothing out of the ordinary :redface:

I recently posted a profile pic and got nearly 100 likes and a few comments :lolwut: It was just a standard pic of my smiling face/top half of body but I wasn't expecting so many likes, especially since I used to get max 25 likes on previous pictures, and I dont have like 1000+ friends either

If you have a vagina and are at least a 7/10 looks wise every photo of you is guaranteed to get at least like 25 likes

Men get very few likes compared to women.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nile.
If you have a vagina and are at least a 7/10 looks wise every photo of you is guaranteed to get at least like 25 likes

Posted from TSR Mobile

AHEM!

Spoiler

Reply 16
Original post by Nile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

not true, and I've seen some absolute munters with loads of likes
I'm lucky if I break double digits :rofl:
You have thirsty friends
Original post by jamesthehustler
my last profile pic with my face in it is two years old and has 10 likes when i had about 120 friends
my latest profile picture was literally just my wrist with a clients gold rolex, my class ring, my signet ring, my pinkie ring and a gold cuban bracelet when i had 215 friend yet got 70 likes
so it doesn't make any sense to me at all

More friends = more likes

:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest