The Student Room Group

has anybody done history as a gcse or doing it ?

is there any revision tips you could give or any websites for the cold war, Britain 1931-51 and usa 1919-21 ?

Scroll to see replies

I did History GCSE a couple of years back. For revision, I'd recommend making a timeline for each module and trying to remember the key dates- don't expect to memorise everything, but throwing in some dates is really useful both in answering date targeted exam questions and in making your answers look really confident :smile: Also use revision cards/ make spider diagrams of different factors causing historical events, etc. Look at past papers on the exam board website and practice by making mini plans of essays- do some using notes and some from memory, and do them to a range of times- say 20 minutes with notes and make a more detailed plan, or give yourself 4 minutes to do a plan of quick jottings of how you'd structure and answer. This is especially important with longer essay questions. For websites, I'd recommend Spartacus as a good resource, and youtube for documentaries, and sometimes teachers make revision videos so have a hunt around. Exam board websites are good for resources. When I did history I revised from the exam board book- I did AQA, so just revised the modules from the official text book which was excellent- from that you could guess the types of questions which might come up too. Basically just record information in different forms, and especially make sure you can use it in an argument as that's the form you'll need in an exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
I did History GCSE a couple of years back. For revision, I'd recommend making a timeline for each module and trying to remember the key dates- don't expect to memorise everything, but throwing in some dates is really useful both in answering date targeted exam questions and in making your answers look really confident :smile: Also use revision cards/ make spider diagrams of different factors causing historical events, etc. Look at past papers on the exam board website and practice by making mini plans of essays- do some using notes and some from memory, and do them to a range of times- say 20 minutes with notes and make a more detailed plan, or give yourself 4 minutes to do a plan of quick jottings of how you'd structure and answer. This is especially important with longer essay questions. For websites, I'd recommend Spartacus as a good resource, and youtube for documentaries, and sometimes teachers make revision videos so have a hunt around. Exam board websites are good for resources. When I did history I revised from the exam board book- I did AQA, so just revised the modules from the official text book which was excellent- from that you could guess the types of questions which might come up too. Basically just record information in different forms, and especially make sure you can use it in an argument as that's the form you'll need in an exam.

thanks i do edexcel and i find it really hard especially the source questions.
Reply 3
Original post by geek567
thanks i do edexcel and i find it really hard especially the source questions.

Simple

- make notes
- read notes
- make simpler notes
- read simpler notes
- past paper
- read notes
- do exam
- bam you've passed
Reply 4
Original post by jamestg
Simple

- make notes
- read notes
- make simpler notes
- read simpler notes
- past paper
- read notes
- do exam
- bam you've passed

thanks lol:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by geek567
thanks lol:smile:

No problem! Just don't think negatively about it. I spent the whole of Y11 questioning whether I'd get a B grade. Got an A* and two high As in my other units - and it averaged out to a really high A grade!
Original post by geek567
is there any revision tips you could give or any websites for the cold war, Britain 1931-51 and usa 1919-21 ?

Mark schemes are half the secret... You NEED to know how to answer the questions...
With source questions, just look at the mark schemes for past paper source questions, and work out the formula for good answers for that. Then, practice on sources you find in textbooks/ online and ask your teacher to mark them- if they won't, it's good practice anyway :smile:
Look at what skills different papers require more.
Eg for the impact of war paper I did last year. You would need to focus on memorising key dates, statistics and interpreting and contrasting sources.
Whereas for medicine through time it's about detail, analysing impact, explaining effects and how significant events are.

PS I did Edexel but not Britain 1931-1951. Is it similar to impact of war? As in source based?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by justbeu
Mark schemes are half the secret... You NEED to know how to answer the questions...

the thing is i don't know how to answer the britain 1931-51 paper at all and i'm trying to find it but can't BTW im edexcel and if you don't mind could you tell me how to answer them /tell me the structure of each questions.
since you did really good in ur gcse in history could i pm you my answers to exam question and could you mark them.
i understand if you don't have time.:smile:
John D'Clare is really good for GCSE stuff :smile:
http://www.johndclare.net/
Reply 11
Original post by jamestg
No problem! Just don't think negatively about it. I spent the whole of Y11 questioning whether I'd get a B grade. Got an A* and two high As in my other units - and it averaged out to a really high A grade!

the thing is i don't know how to answer the britain 1931-51 paper at all and i'm trying to find it but can't BTW im edexcel and if you don't mind could you tell me how to answer them /tell me the structure of each questions.
since you did really good in ur gcse in history could i pm you my answers to exam question and could you mark them.
i understand if you don't have time.
lol sent thism essage to the wrong person
I've never gotten below an A* in History and all you really have to do is read all the history books provided as entertainment rather than as a subject. Use good writing techniques (PEED, LATE - Russia etc. ) and ur handwriting DOES matter in this subject even if its about like 2%. Honestly, just try to write as much as you can and vomit everything you've learnt onto the test paper to show your knowledge.
John D Clare
BBC bitesize
Text books
Past papers
Practice sources as if the exact ones come up, you know what to write.
Refer to mark schemes
Remember key dates and statistics
Make sure you write enough points
Make sure you cover the entire period of asked in the question
If you do sources, ensure you get the message rather than purpose or vice versa
I do Cold War, intl relations, USA 20&30s & Britain 1890-1918 btw
I've been told to do 20 mins a night on school days but will do more by May
Good luck! 🖖🏿📚
Original post by jamestg
Simple

- make notes
- read notes
- make simpler notes
- read simpler notes
- past paper
- read notes
- do exam
- bam you've passed

hey im also doing history, do you have any advise on how you can make simpler notes? because its quite hard to condense pure facts
Original post by geek567

Write out the structure how you will answer each question and remember it. Write a sentence linking a date with an event. Say them out loud without looking then see if you forgot any. Just remember some key facts.
I did it last year
Original post by geek567
i understand if you don't have time.:smile:

To be honest atm*i cant remeber how to do them, and i never did britain but my brother is doing an edexcel gcse course and i might be able to get the mark schemes off him... Which paper is britain in??
Reply 17
what do you mean?
i think its Britain 1931-51 unit 3b Edexcel
Reply 18
Original post by justbeu
To be honest atm*i cant remeber how to do them, and i never did britain but my brother is doing an edexcel gcse course and i might be able to get the mark schemes off him... Which paper is britain in??

what do you mean?
i think its Britain 1931-51 unit 3b Edexcel
I did history last year and got an A* my process was the following:
notes
into flash cards
questions related to the topic you had revised
repeat for every topic
big blind mock
mark
improve
re do another one
and keep going over flash cards for dates all the time!! I did USA 1930-2000, you should really find out what exam board you are with and get the revision guide specific to it, PM if you need anymore help!

Quick Reply

Latest