The Student Room Group

The British Ivy Leauge's

Hi guys,

As you all know, the Russell group just seems like a load of rubbish, it doesn't have places like Bath and St. andrews but has Liverpool etc (not that it isn't a good uni, it's just not among the UK's very best)

I was wondering if you had to make an elite group of universities like that of the Ivy league (yes, I realise its just a sports group but it's an expression) what would be in there.

In my opinion, I would have to say Durham, St Andrews, UCL, LSE, Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick would be in it.

excited to hear anyone else's point of view :smile:
Original post by JAJM
Hi guys,

As you all know, the Russell group just seems like a load of rubbish, it doesn't have places like Bath and St. andrews but has Liverpool etc (not that it isn't a good uni, it's just not among the UK's very best)

I was wondering if you had to make an elite group of universities like that of the Ivy league (yes, I realise its just a sports group but it's an expression) what would be in there.

In my opinion, I would have to say Durham, St Andrews, UCL, LSE, Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick would be in it.

This has been debated many times and ultimately it's pretty subjective. I don't really see how you can make an informed decision unless you've studied at each institution, it just seems a rather pointless exercise?
Hmm,

London Met, LSBU, Bedfordshire, Glyndwr and Wolverhampton are all stellar institutions full of the best and brightest :yep:
Reply 3
Original post by JAJM
Hi guys,

Spoiler

Reply 4
Russell group is just universities that spend money on research but I digress.
I feel that you can't make an elite group of Universities for the UK since universities here are based on subjects and not overall performance.
Original post by JAJM
Hi guys,

There are so many threads on TSR of a similar nature but I'll play along :smile:

People will say stuff like Ivy League is a sporting conference of universities based in NE of the USA and that it's not based on academics. And stuff like the Ivy League does not have a monopoly of the best US universities - for example Stanford and Caltech are not part of it. But let's ignore these points for now..

If it's a group of universities based on location in the UK, I guess the G5 would be our equivalent (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL). I read on Wikipedia that for sport, we have the 'Wallace Group'. I also quite like the UK's Sutton 13, but I'd remove Birmingham, Nottingham, and (maybe) York and replace them with Bath, KCL, and (maybe) Glasgow.

I feel that the Russell Group is too big for it to carry any real prestige tbh.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would say, Oxbridge,UCL,KCL,Imperial,Warwick and LSE.

Latest

Trending

Trending