The Student Room Group

water fasting

Hey everyone,

I have been struggling with my looks for a long while now. I know I can be pretty but sometimes Im so damn ugly it hurts. I dont picture well most of the time and this has made me distance myself from my friends because they take so many pictures. Im really unhappy with myself and have been for years actually. I cant make friends because I can never connect with many people, I sometimes shut off because Im so down about how I look. The worst thing is, I know exactly how to fix it but I have been struggling for over 4 years Id say, almost 5.

I know water fasting can fix me. My skin doesnt have the acne you'd expect: not the red spots from time to time, but rather my skin has many tiny bumps on it on my forehead, maybe a few spots on my cheeks. I dont know how but these tiny bumps really deform my whole face. I think because I have a small face it somehow changes it for the worse. Another thing is I dislike my side profile. The thing is, I can be pretty and sometimes I love the way I look. Its just my skin has a really big effect on my small face. I only look pretty when my skin is more clear and radiant and when my eyebrows have a good shape. I have fasted once before and I had radiant skin, my face lost some fat, my eyelashes were full and gorgeous, the white of my eyes were clear and even my lips were full and plump. That was a couple of years ago, and since then I have been trying to fast again but I have never gotten through more than a day.
My plan to fast always fails; I imagine completing it the next day instead and go ahead and eat loads of carbs. Like Im trying to make myself as ugly as possible so that when I do finally fast, the contrast in how I looked before and after will make the after even sweeter. Maybe Im also anxious about whether it will work, or if I will photograph well after the fast.

Another problem I have is Im thin but I have an apple body shape. Now, this is hidden through my clothes, but I have a fat belly. Honestly, it protrudes like crazy, obvious rolls of fat, and my breasts are too big too. Ive always like small breasts and I havent had small ones in years. I have no hips it seems; theres like an indentation where they should be, my body just sinks in rather than curves out. Otherwise you really cant tell that I have a fat stomach, but I really want to even my body out so I can feel comfortable.
I have no idea why I have to have such a weird deformed body. I know I should be grateful but I cant when all around me are people with normal bodies, with actual hips and a nice jaw, a nice upturned nose, normal skin. I just want to finally do the damn fast, fix my skin and lose some fat, and hopefully fat isnt lost all over my body and I can keep losing it from my belly. I work out and do squats to build my thighs, and that seems to be working.

The ideal situation would be I fast, my skin clears up and my face gets some definition, I become more photogenic, I lost fat from my stomach and breasts, I work out, I continue to lose fat and maybe one day I can get a flat stomach, though Im scared of how thin Id be everywhere else when that happens. Fasting also clears the mind, and I need some mind clearing right now because I need to decide what course I want to do at university. Ive always been a capable student and I know if my mind is clear and Im not so focused on my looks I can be borderline genius (Im at college in the UK and I do maths, physics and chemistry). I want to get into oxbridge and to be honest, I just want to stop being sad. I dont know if its depression but I know I havent been happy in years.

Sorry if this is so long, I never disclose my insecurities to anyone. I dont have any close friends and Im not close with my family. I just want to do this. Im scared, alone and sad and I hate feeling like this. I thought if I could document what Im doing online where people can see, Id be more motivated to do something. Im going to try and water fast for a couple of days and keep this thread updated. I just want to be a normal person and do what normal people do and have a normal body. Anyway, wish me luck :smile:
I really don't think you need to do it, but if you really want to please be careful and take care of your self and your needs. It's important for your body to get the nutrients it needs throughout the day and you may find yourself lacking in energy. Drinking lots of water is good but it's also important to have fruit and veg and 3 nutritious meals. It sounds as if you are very hard on yourself and for what ever reason your self-esteem has taken a bit of a knock. I understand what that can feel like. I bet you are so much more beautiful than you think you are! You sound like a sweet and lovely person so please try and be kinder to yourself. I know it's not easy. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Fasting is not a good idea. Everyone goes through phases of bad skin, and this is just reinforcing a dangerous psychological idea that you aren't good enough. Whether you feel it works or not, this really isn't the solution. And, from personal experience, it messed up my thoughts and nearly cost me my university place- far from clearer thoughts.
If you are concerned about your tummy, look at how you can tone it and trim the weight on that. Think about adjusting your work-out, but don't just lose weight for the sake of it. Being careful and sensible is more likely to work longer term.
It really sounds like the problem isn't how you look, it's how you feel about yourself. Why do you care if your body isn't a classic shape? Perhaps it's driven by your emotions. Please try to talk to someone about it. You don't need to change yourself for anyone else
Reply 3
Fasting food for a day is understandable as long as you drink plenty of water. I didn't read the whole of your OP can you explain in one or two sentences why you want to water fast?
Reply 4
Original post by Thomb
Fasting food for a day is understandable as long as you drink plenty of water. I didn't read the whole of your OP can you explain in one or two sentences why you want to water fast?

They think they're ugly in photographs and "I have fasted once before and I had radiant skin, my face lost some fat, my eyelashes were full and gorgeous, the white of my eyes were clear and even my lips were full and plump"

I think they basically need to surround themselves with better people who make them feel as beautiful as they look, because they're too focused on trying to look like a plastic barbie, and are too hung up on how they look in a stupid photograph.

Instead of depriving your body of the nutrients it needs to function properly, OP, maybe try fasting like 6 hours a day, or just go vegan? Try eating raw unprocessed healthy food and see how that goes, pretty sure your acne would clear up and you'll feel/ look healthier. Also try exfoliating.
Reply 5
Original post by z33
They think they're ugly in photographs and "I have fasted once before and I had radiant skin, my face lost some fat, my eyelashes were full and gorgeous, the white of my eyes were clear and even my lips were full and plump"

I think they basically need to surround themselves with better people who make them feel as beautiful as they look, because they're too focused on trying to look like a plastic barbie, and are too hung up on how they look in a stupid photograph.

Instead of depriving your body of the nutrients it needs to function properly, OP, maybe try fasting like 6 hours a day, or just go vegan? Try eating raw unprocessed healthy food and see how that goes, pretty sure your acne would clear up and you'll feel/ look healthier. Also try exfoliating.

So is it a vanity problem?
So when you get a flat stomach, how do you keep it that way?
Reply 7
Original post by Thomb
So is it a vanity problem?

"I know I can be pretty but sometimes Im so damn ugly it hurts."
"I dont picture well most of the time and this has made me distance myself from my friends"
"Like Im trying to make myself as ugly as possible so that when I do finally fast, the contrast in how I looked before and after will make the after even sweeter."
"I have no idea why I have to have such a weird deformed body."
"The ideal situation would be I fast, my skin clears up and my face gets some definition, I become more photogenic,"

yeah they think they look alright but they wanna look good in pictures and think starving themselves of food will be an instant solution

just to look good in a picture
that would prob get like 2 likes on instagram

sighhhh... i was born in the wrong era
Reply 8
Original post by z33
"I know I can be pretty but sometimes Im so damn ugly it hurts."
"I dont picture well most of the time and this has made me distance myself from my friends"
"Like Im trying to make myself as ugly as possible so that when I do finally fast, the contrast in how I looked before and after will make the after even sweeter."
"I have no idea why I have to have such a weird deformed body."
"The ideal situation would be I fast, my skin clears up and my face gets some definition, I become more photogenic,"

yeah they think they look alright but they wanna look good in pictures and think starving themselves of food will be an instant solution

just to look good in a picture
that would prob get like 2 likes on instagram

sighhhh... i was born in the wrong era

So its an ideal image of yourself that you never see yourself achieving in the mirror and fasting is the ideal achievement?
Reply 9
Original post by Thomb
So its an ideal image of yourself that you never see yourself achieving in the mirror and fasting is the ideal achievement?

yo im not the OP ask them :lol:
im just cutting out the BS and giving u the deets
seems like it tho, except not in the mirror since they said they think they're pretty but in PHOTOS
OP thats what they are insecurities.
How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
It wouldnt surprise me if you have an eating disorder of some sort, but cnat say without more info.

You could certainly do with more self esteem and be less worried about your body. Thats about being comfy in your own skin and being yourself, not just what you look like.

1. Go and see your GP
2. Ring the BEAT youthline so you cna have a chat with someone used to dealing with such issues.
Youthline: 0345 634 7650 or email [email protected]
The Beat Youthline is open to anyone under 25. Parents, teachers or any concerned adults should call the adult helpline.

Monday to Wednesday, 1pm to 4pm.
How we can help
If you call our Helpline you will speak to a trained support worker experienced in listening and talking to people in a similar situation to you. We know it can be difficult to reach out for help and talk about what you are feeling and going through, but we aim to provide a supportive, non-judgemental space.

https://www.b-eat.co.uk/support-services/helpline

Diet and exercise, its hard to know without your BMI becayse I dont know where on the range you are.

1. Water fasting on its own for more than a day is going to do your harm. You dont sound as though you eat enough as it is. What you cna do is drink water and stay well hydrated plus eat fresh fruit and veg along with a balanced diet then you can feed your body all the nutrients it needs. Warer fasting will not fix you.
2. If you have skin problems then go and se a dermatologist when referred by your GP, but i suspect the skin issues are just notice by you.
3. Losing weight= you misunderstand how it works, you cant spot reduce, it does indeed come off rom all over.
4. If you want to get smaller and lose fat then lift weights or do some form of resistance training. This is the helathy way that works in helping you change your shape. Works for Jessica Alba and Zoe Saldana.

Fasting without any understanding is not sensible. A calorie controlled healthy balanced diet at a moderate deficit will help you lose weight and resistance training will help you lose fat and gain better shape. thats how people do it. Youre too young to be trying silly things which you dont understand. Do it the right way.
Reply 11
Original post by z33
yo im not the OP ask them :lol:
im just cutting out the BS and giving u the deets
seems like it tho, except not in the mirror since they said they think they're pretty but in PHOTOS

Oh right sorry I don't know anything about EDs. I'm glad you can see the funny side though I don't want to piss you off.

Quick Reply

Latest