The Student Room Group

Investment Banking Uni Choice

I'm really keen to get into Investment banking after uni - I firmly intend on doing a Masters upon graduation at a good business school in Europe, more than likely MSc Finance.

I have nailed my choices down to Manchester or Cass. I really can't decide between the two. At Manchester my offer is for International Business, Finance and Economics and at Cass for there BSc Business Studies program. Before people start about doing business - it's something I'm keen to do just to give me a broader understanding and incase I ever decided to move away from the finance path. Cass Business Studies course is still mainly made up of Financial Modules.

Both have there pros and cons. Manchester surely better reputation but Cass being in London too!?

I'm doing an Investment Banking course at UCL next month for A Level students and work experience in New York with a broker in August. Also of course I intend on getting involved in all the relevant societies and networking events.

Please help me guys - really can't make up my mind as to what would be best! This is for undergrad not post please remember!

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uniquestions9
I'm really keen to get into Investment banking after uni - I firmly intend on doing a Masters upon graduation at a good business school in Europe, more than likely MSc Finance.

I have nailed my choices down to Manchester or Cass. I really can't decide between the two. At Manchester my offer is for International Business, Finance and Economics and at Cass for there BSc Business Studies program. Before people start about doing business - it's something I'm keen to do just to give me a broader understanding and incase I ever decided to move away from the finance path. Cass Business Studies course is still mainly made up of Financial Modules.

Both have there pros and cons. Manchester surely better reputation but Cass being in London too!?

I'm doing an Investment Banking course at UCL next month for A Level students and work experience in New York with a broker in August. Also of course I intend on getting involved in all the relevant societies and networking events.

Please help me guys - really can't make up my mind as to what would be best! This is for undergrad not post please remember!

Why drop high five figures on a Masters when you can break in from undergrad?

I'd take Manchester btw, their course is a lot more interesting than the one you have an offer for at Cass. If it were IFRM or BIF, I'd have 100% said go for Cass.

Both are semi-target universities, some banks actively recruit from both but definitely not all. You'll have to get involved as much as you can at uni (join the investment fund, lead societies, network with bankers that come for visits, have other hobbies etc) as well as get good grades to be in with a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your response! Really useful and appreciate your opinion! :smile:
Reply 3
Are you currently studying at UCL and graduating uni soon? And may I know what you were studying at uni? Without knowing too much about your background, it would be a bit difficult to give you some advice, especially it is quite a big step in your career and life.

If your ultimate goal is to get into investment banking, the most important thing for graduates without experience might be to get into the system, especially for IBD (a bit less rigid for markets and sales & trading). Getting into the system means, target school, preferred field of study, student clubs involvement etc. If you can get into banking at uni, you do not really need a master degree. The courses at uni unfortunately are very academic - almost barely applied in real world execution at banking from my experience.

You can check out some of our courses taught only by front office investment bankers (City Sail Investment Banking). You will benefit not only from the knowledge, but more important first hand networking with senior bankers. Our students from your school (UCL assuming?) have got offers from UBS, GS, and investment fund etc.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

Original post by CitySail
Are you currently studying at UCL and graduating uni soon? And may I know what you were studying at uni? Without knowing too much about your background, it would be a bit difficult to give you some advice, especially it is quite a big step in your career and life.

If your ultimate goal is to get into investment banking, the most important thing for graduates without experience might be to get into the system, especially for IBD (a bit less rigid for markets and sales & trading). Getting into the system means, target school, preferred field of study, student clubs involvement etc. If you can get into banking at uni, you do not really need a master degree. The courses at uni unfortunately are very academic - almost barely applied in real world execution at banking from my experience.

You can check out some of our courses taught only by front office investment bankers (City Sail Investment Banking). You will benefit not only from the knowledge, but more important first hand networking with senior bankers. Our students from your school (UCL assuming?) have got offers from UBS, GS, and investment fund etc.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

The post is asking which out of Cass and Manchester to choose, UCL was never mentioned - FYI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
She said she's doing an Investment Banking course at UCL.

I would take a step back before answering which school to choose. The first question is whether she should even go to master, if her goal is just to get into banking. Think that's your advice as well

Original post by Princepieman
The post is asking which out of Cass and Manchester to choose, UCL was never mentioned - FYI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would take a step back before answering which school to choose. The first question is whether she should even go to master, if her goal is just to get into banking. Think that's your advice as well

Yeah, one of those a-level courses offered by 3rd party providers. I think it's the 'InvestIN' programme which charges rates of £150+ for a 2 day programme. Seems a bit pointless when IBs offer insight days to A-level students anyway.

The person in question is asking about undergrad schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
You've never taken their course, nor have you known anyone who said it's dodgy. It is extremely irresponsible for you to quote "dodgy" here. This is not good for your own credibility! Their students get offers, they have long term partnerships with schools. Who are you here to call anyone dodgy...

Alright, maybe my word choice wasn't perfect. But, personally, I'd encourage a-level students to focus on applying to insight days administered by banks themselves rather than drop, what is, a significant amount of money to a 17-18 year old on a 2 day event. But, as you say, people with the means won't be harmed by attending.
Reply 8
That I agree. Insight Days is the best way to, at least, get to understand what investment bankings are about.

I don't really know the course she was mentioning at UCL. But yes I agree with you that students need to be very careful with what 3rd party course providers they choose. We are also a whole team of investment bankers / private equity guys at CitySail, teaching valuation, modelling etc. courses at Cambridge, LSE etc. - we founded the firm precisely because we found students are so easily misguided by certain schools, and formed up a team of bankers, trying to help students a bit within our humble capability.

Alright, maybe my word choice wasn't perfect. But, personally, I'd encourage a-level students to focus on applying to insight days administered by banks themselves rather than drop, what is, a significant amount of money to a 17-18 year old on a 2 day event. But, as you say, people with the means won't be harmed by attending.

Thanks for your time and response! I'm not studying at UCL, I'm still 17 - going to uni in September. I have offers from Manchester, Cass, Logborough, Lancaster but have nailed it down to Cass or Manchester and am looking for some advice on which is the best one for me to chose! I do think I'd like to do a Masters too though as MSc Finance from a top school will enhance my prospects.

In regards to insight days - which banks are offering them? Thanks again guys! :smile:
Thanks for your time and response! I'm not studying at UCL, I'm still 17 - going to uni in September. I have offers from Manchester, Cass, Logborough, Lancaster but have nailed it down to Cass or Manchester and am looking for some advice on which is the best one for me to chose! I do think I'd like to do a Masters too though as MSc Finance from a top school will enhance my prospects.

In regards to insight days - which banks are offering them? Thanks again guys! :smile:

Also - I'm a he not a she :wink:
That I agree. Insight Days is the best way to, at least, get to understand what investment bankings are about.

I don't really know the course she was mentioning at UCL. But yes I agree with you that students need to be very careful with what 3rd party course providers they choose. We are also a whole team of investment bankers / private equity guys at CitySail, teaching valuation, modelling etc. courses at Cambridge, LSE etc. - we founded the firm precisely because we found students are so easily misguided by certain schools, and formed up a team of bankers, trying to help students a bit within our humble capability.

Oh, I wasn't throwing a pot shot at your programme, it looks very credible (based off of a quick perusal of your site) and the people behind it have a tonne of experience within the field! Good luck to you all, and I hope it works out for you.

Valuation/modelling is definitely a useful skill to teach, however, the programme in question doesn't teach that. It's a paid, 'meet and greet' session with some ancillary CV/interview skills workshops thrown on top - which, banks already provide free of charge.

CitySail, do you have a website I can get more detail about your courses on? I'm keen to get involved in as many different activities and experiences as possible this summer.
I'm not worried about cost, I have a little part time job I save from and investing it in courses which will expand my knowledge regarding my career are cool with me! :smile:
Reply 13
Oh, I wasn't throwing a pot shot at your programme, it looks very credible (based off of a quick perusal of your site) and the people behind it have a tonne of experience within the field! Good luck to you all, and I hope it works out for you.

Valuation/modelling is definitely a useful skill to teach, however, the programme in question doesn't teach that. It's a paid, 'meet and greet' session with some ancillary CV/interview skills workshops thrown on top - which, banks already provide free of charge.

Why do you always look for a way to argue with someone?

Even though you're a member of the Support team?
Reply 14
CitySail, do you have a website I can get more detail about your courses on? I'm keen to get involved in as many different activities and experiences as possible this summer.
I'm not worried about cost, I have a little part time job I save from and investing it in courses which will expand my knowledge regarding my career are cool with me! :smile:

What course are you going to study in University because I'm also quite like you as I am doing an Undergraduate course in Computer science which is irrelevant to Investment banking but I do want to be an Investment baker in the future.

My aim is to study maybe Management at LSE after my undergraduate.

1. You're better off focusing your efforts in uni on applying to the various schemes offered by banks (spring weeks, summer analyst gigs etc) straight away, rather than banking on the possibility that an MFin would boost your prospects. Truth is, an MFin is essentially a second shot at recruiting for grad roles, you'll come in at the same level (and pay) as someone with just a bachelors.

2. JPM, MS, CS, HSBC are open right now. RBS (I did this last year), will open later on, possibly June/July time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wdkmwd
Why do you always look for a way to argue with someone?

Even though you're a member of the Support team?

Why ask an irrelevant question to the thread? CitySail assumed that the OP was at UCL already, I just wanted to give them a heads up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Why ask an irrelevant question to the thread? CitySail assumed that the OO was at UCL already, I just wanted to give them a heads up.

You went about it, in such a vitriolic way.

I'm sure CitySail agrees with me.
Original post by wdkmwd
You went about it, in such a vitriolic way.

I'm sure CitySail agrees with me.

Alright dude..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
No worries at all. It's just some small misunderstanding on the post. We both are aiming for the same - to give students and candidates the best advice we can.

That's good tips on choosing a program - if they only give a chance to "meet" and CV tips, there are a lot of those counselors out there, and we would advise students to be very careful.

Ultimately, you want to choose a program where you learn the skills applicable in interviews and real world execution, and true insights - that draws the difference

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending