The Student Room Group

Scrapped NHS Bursary, what happens now?

Hi peeps,
I want to be a paediatric nurse so this is the course I will apply for and I shall be applying when the next round of UCAS opens up again. I know that the bursary will be scrapped when I'm going to Uni, which sucks but such is life. I just want to know what I'll do and how I'll go about the finance side of applying to Uni.
Will I have to take out a loan,and that will pay for my £9000 loan, and then only have the maintenance loan for rent, living, food, transport, etc? It doesn't seem like it's even doable and I'm very confused about everything. Please help!
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Hi peeps,
I want to be a paediatric nurse so this is the course I will apply for and I shall be applying when the next round of UCAS opens up again. I know that the bursary will be scrapped when I'm going to Uni, which sucks but such is life. I just want to know what I'll do and how I'll go about the finance side of applying to Uni.
Will I have to take out a loan,and that will pay for my £9000 loan, and then only have the maintenance loan for rent, living, food, transport, etc? It doesn't seem like it's even doable and I'm very confused about everything. Please help!

Why don't you apply for entry onto the nursing degree for THIS September start??

As if you start this year the entire 3 years is free, as NHS bursary pay all tuition fees.

If you start next year though, itl just be funded the same as every other degree.
In that you get tuition fees paid by the loan, and you get maintenance loan and grant (which equals approx. £8,000 per year) if you circumstances are same as mine (mature student, studying at a London uni, living in my own flat).

It equates to about just £600 per month, which is ****,
but the bonus is no council tax atleast.
Plus if you work semi fulltime alongside the degree, you can earn 1k per month as living expenses, and then put your entire £8,000 per year student finance money into a savings account to use as deposit for a mortgage once you graduate. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Spanish868
Why don't you apply for entry onto the nursing degree for THIS September start??

As if you start this year the entire 3 years is free, as NHS bursary pay all tuition fees.

If you start next year though, itl just be funded the same as every other degree.
In that you get tuition fees paid by the loan, and you get maintenance loan and grant (which equals approx. £8,000 per year) if you circumstances are same as mine (mature student, studying at a London uni, living in my own flat).

It equates to about just £600 per month, which is ****,
but the bonus is no council tax atleast.
Plus if you work semi fulltime alongside the degree, you can earn 1k per month as living expenses, and then put your entire £8,000 per year student finance money into a savings account to use as deposit for a mortgage once you graduate. :smile:

Wow, that sounds absolutely doable now! 😄
Thank you for all the great info
As for starting the degree this year..unfortunately I can't. I'll be having treatment all through summer and will need to recover so that kinda sucks. I have also tried to save myself and do as much as poss to get the bursary by applying to uni this year and applying for deferred entry, but sadly they all rejected me on the basis that I was deferring. Also because nursing is quite competitive and they'd rather take on students who are actually going this year, than next year.
Also, didn't they remove the maintenance grant because I heard that they don't that out anymore, which again, is so suckish! If I am only left with the maintenance loan, I know that I'll have to pay this back, but does everyone get the same standard payment e.g. £8000?
Im not aware that grants are being scrapped, although even if they are, the amount of money you will get will still remain the same/increase slightly even, but all just be under the heading of 'loan' rather than grant too.

You can check for yourself on the student finance website calculator the exact amount that you will be entitled to based on your personal circumstances.
Reply 4
Awesome, I'll look at the website then for more details
Thanks for helping x
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Awesome, I'll look at the website then for more details
Thanks for helping x

I am a second year student on a NHS funded course (admittedly it's not nursing) and I would suggest that by being funded by loans from SFE will mean you are better off financially whilst studying (obviously it means more debt when you graduate) as the NHS bursary is not as generous!

Also if you are paying fees like all other students then you may be eligible for bursaries from the uni - as it stands at the moment being on a NHS funded course means I lost out on lots of financial help at uni.

Good luck - hope you get over your health issues quickly. If you do could you not consider courses which start in the spring (don't nursing courses have two intakes each academic year?) - you would still qualify for the NHS bursary then?
When I looked at NHS funding (as im applying to study OT) it shows that you should be able to get BOTH maintenance loan PLUS NHS bursary money.

The 2 are not mutually exclusive, you can are automatically entitled to NHS bursary, but also can get maintenance loan too onto of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending