The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jmcwitch
Hi, is that the same for all the visit days :-)?
Thank you

No, each Visit Day have their own schedule as these days are planned around teaching. And we never like to make things easy! :wink: Schedules will be on the webpages very soon.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Original post by Eil
Do you have a copy of this years film and media time table that I could have a look at? Due to medical issues I am often in hospital, I would like to be able to see when I can schedule my appointments which are a few times a week.

Hey - unfortunately not, as each year differs so this year's timetable will not be applicable next year. For Media courses, your typical weekly class time will be 16-18 hours. You will also have seminars/tutorials around lectures so these will be classes you sign up to. Finally, it also depends which modules you take. Timetables will be finalised in the summer for the next semester, and will be published online just prior to the start of the term. Once you complete matriculation, you will have the modules assigned and can find the timetables online. This will be from the start of September.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Original post by Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
No, each Visit Day have their own schedule as these days are planned around teaching. And we never like to make things easy! :wink: Schedules will be on the webpages very soon.
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Sorry I did mean would it be on the website, apologies for not being clear
Reply 103
Hi QMU, I was just wondering how much longer the decisions will be for Speech and language Therapy. Thanks xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jmcwitch
Sorry I did mean would it be on the website, apologies for not being clear

Yes, they are being updated by my colleague today and early next week so you should be able to find more information by next week at the latest. Just click the link in the offer letter to be brought to the information page, the subject areas will be shown and you can find the updates on those pages. (Hope that makes sense?!)
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Original post by Mcc0810
Hi QMU, I was just wondering how much longer the decisions will be for Speech and language Therapy. Thanks xx

Hello - we are hoping to have those decisions back early next week, but you will certainly hear by the end of the week for sure either way. Fingers crossed for you!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Reply 106
When my reply from the uni says that they require a minimum of 260 points from my top 5 highers. And I already have 3 B's and a C. Does that mean I just need one more C
Reply 107
Hello - we are hoping to have those decisions back early next week, but you will certainly hear by the end of the week for sure either way. Fingers crossed for you!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Trying not to worry but it is hard. At least I will know soon. Xx
Yes, they are being updated by my colleague today and early next week so you should be able to find more information by next week at the latest. Just click the link in the offer letter to be brought to the information page, the subject areas will be shown and you can find the updates on those pages. (Hope that makes sense?!)
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)

It does thank you, no update yet but i'll check back :smile: Thank you again
Original post by Eil
When my reply from the uni says that they require a minimum of 260 points from my top 5 highers. And I already have 3 B's and a C. Does that mean I just need one more C

I'm going to be honest - the tariff system is something I struggle to get my head around with offers! The best people to check with are the Admissions team (email [email protected] or call 0131 474 0000) and they will be able to advise. I think you are correct, but I would check with them to be completely sure!
Charlotte
(Official QMU TSR Rep)
Hi QMU,

I’m a french student and I have applied 3 weeks ago (February 9th) for Postgrad Music Therapy in Queen Margaret University. I would like to know when could I have an answer because I still haven’t hear back...
I’m actually living in London and I would like to organise my travel in Scotland for the interview.

Last questions:

how many applicants there are for Music Therapy course ? The spaces available for September 2016 ? Could you tell me how competitive the course is?

Thank you, I’m very very motivated and I’m looking forward to hearing from you =)

Philippine Boisnard
Reply 111
Hey QMU,
I would love to know when you will make decisions about the theatre and film applications.
Thank you ^^
Hey!!

I am actually from Canada too. I got a conditional offer from QMU for MSc (pre-reg) physiotherapy. Have u received your offer yet?

Original post by wiltoe
That's what I figured! :smile: Congrats nonetheless, I'm sure that's a big load off.

Charlotte, I've taken a look around online and haven't been able to find any admissions stats for the Pre-Reg program... perhaps you'd have some answers for the following questions:

1) How many international students apply/are accepted for the program in a typical year?

2) Do we get a firm yes/no either way (ie. are we notified if our application wasn't successful)?

3) I know the prospectus says a 3.0 GPA is required, but do you have any idea what the average GPA for international students accepted would be? Would someone with a ~3.7-4.0 be considered highly competitive or is that in or around the range that most students apply with?

4) Are "non-science" majors considered at a disadvantage if they've completed 1st year level science courses and have hospital work experience? Are many non-traditional majors often accepted?

I know these are all very specific questions, I'm just looking for some sort of indication of how competitive the pool is as it's driving me crazy not knowing where I stand! Thanks so much in advance! :smile:
Original post by ashleymacleod
Just got an offer for Psychology, super happy as I really loved the university when I went to the open day :biggrin:

Me too yay! haha :smile:
Reply 114
I applied for both Film and Media and Film and Theatre at the QMU and received and unconditional for the first last year and was rejected for the latter today because "my academic profile wasn't as competitive as the other applicants". But the thing is... Over the last few months I've grown rather fond of the idea of studying Film and Theatre and would actually much rather visit this course even though I've received a rejection. Now, does anybody know if it's possible to transfer to a course that you've already been rejected for? I'm going to make QMU my firm choice anyway. Or would I have to wait a year and then try again after having completed the first year in Film and Media. Would be very glad if somebody could help me on this, thank you! :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, i received an offer from QMU and really want to move there in September but i'm worried about not knowing anyone at all when i go there so was posting to see if anyone else is planning on moving to halls in September. I'll be studying Public Relations, Marketing and Events.
I've just applied for accommodation, am I guaranteed a room if I get my grades?
Original post by nerdkoala
I've just applied for accommodation, am I guaranteed a room if I get my grades?

Did you go to the visit day?

They allocate on a first come first served basis so applying early is good, you'll get your room once your offer is unconditional iirc :-)
Hopefully see you September !
Just firmed my conditional offer for psychology :biggrin: Is anyone else on here going to do psychology?
Original post by bumble_bee17
Hi, i received an offer from QMU and really want to move there in September but i'm worried about not knowing anyone at all when i go there so was posting to see if anyone else is planning on moving to halls in September. I'll be studying Public Relations, Marketing and Events.

hi! I am moving into student halls in September! I'm going to be studying occupational therapy at QMU :smile:

Quick Reply