The Student Room Group

I like girls out of my league

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As much as I'd love to say it's what's inside that counts......Looks play a big role in the first few days of initial contact.

If you haven't been blessed with hollywood looks, you would need to let your other qualities shine to grab attention.

Overall though it always starts with material looks and then moves onto personality. Let's face it, you're doing exactly the same. You're judging them as 8s just by their looks, personality has not played a role at all. What makes you different?

My simple advice would be to find what your good features are (both physical and personality) and show that off a bit. Also, if no contact is made, she would never know you're interested and what you have to offer.
Original post by whorace
It's more to do with him being a celeb, and I don't even get the hype.

Nah it's because he's handsome.It's like Leonardo Di Caprio. Girls have crushes just like boys and that's for the looks,not because he plays football instead of volleyball.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by RoyalMarine
Nah it's because he's handsome.It's like Leonardo Di Caprio. Girls have crushes just like boys and that's for the looks,not because he plays football instead of volleyball.

What girls? Girls under 18 like Justin Bieber. Leonardo Di Caprio is actually quite manly in a few films so it just proves the point.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I'm a 19 year old university student and I'm a virgin. I haven't had a girlfriend since like year 2 (lol). Basically I used to be, and kind of still am, an introvert. I do go out much more now that I'm at university but before uni I never went out with my friends. I haven't been gifted with much, especially in the looks department. I'd say I'm a solid 3 or 4 out of 10. Also I suffer from social anxiety which makes me come across as shy whenever I meet people. This, as well as the fact that I have a monotonous voice, means that I'm not very good at making friends or getting a girlfriend.

So it was back in December when I first saw this girl who was on my course at uni. She's a solid 8 out of 10. Me being me I'm scared of talking to her, and it's only been in the Easter holidays that we started talking (due to being in a group chat). So we spoke a bit and I was under the illusion that I stood a chance with her, albeit a small one. Turns out she has a boyfriend. As I went to an all boys secondary school, I haven't had many friends that are girls.

But yeah, I suppose the point of this is to ask for advice. Whenever I see good looking girls, the response is the same. For some reason I feel like a have a small chance, even though I probably don't. It's annoying because I want to be able to like somebody who is in my league, but I just don't find them attractive. I don't want to sound shallow, but I feel like I could do better. People say that you shouldn't think a girl is out of your league, but when I see couples out and about I can see why they are together, because they are similar in terms of attractiveness. I've never seen a 3/10 with an 8/10. So yeah, any advice?

1. Stop rating people's looks on a scale from 1 to 10. That's not normal. The only people I've known to do that are fvckboys.
2. People are only "out of your league" if they decide you are. A.k.a. you don't have a chance because they're not interested.
3. See a psychiatrist or psycholog about your anxiety. It helps. And if you get meds: it definitely helps.
4. Personality and humour are also important factors. Looks and a good first impression are important - they definitely are!!! - but if your personas aren't compatible, you won't end up as a couple anyway.
Original post by whorace
Yes and physical attraction forms one and only one part of that, character is just as important, that handsome but boring guy? Nah they'll pass a lot of the time. You really don't need much experience to know that women sleep with ugly guys all the time :lol: anyone who denies this is just a defeatist

Yes, being a cool guy and having a good personality matters but looks are what get your foot in the door in the first place.

3 or 4/10 is bad. If he can make himself a 6 through building muscle, getting a lean body/face and getting a better hairstyle and dress sense, that will help him tremendously.
Reply 25
Original post by vonbroten
1. Stop rating people's looks on a scale from 1 to 10. That's not normal. The only people I've known to do that are fvckboys.
2. People are only "out of your league" if they decide you are. A.k.a. you don't have a chance because they're not interested.
3. See a psychiatrist or psycholog about your anxiety. It helps. And if you get meds: it definitely helps.
4. Personality and humour are also important factors. Looks and a good first impression are important - they definitely are!!! - but if your personas aren't compatible, you won't end up as a couple anyway.

Sensible advice, doesn't try to downplay looks but also points out other values, like self-respect, humour and just being interesting. It's nice to see someone who is deeper than 'do u even lift'.
Nah it's because he's handsome.

this

lol @ OP rating women but getting down b/c women have standards too

OP needs to work on his looks but be realistic

no HBB is dating a 5/10 boyo unless he has £££
Reply 27
Original post by dairychocolate
Yes, being a cool guy and having a good personality matters but looks are what get your foot in the door in the first place.

3 or 4/10 is bad. If he can make himself a 6 through building muscle, getting a lean body/face and getting a better hairstyle and dress sense, that will help him tremendously.

There is no 0/10 - 6/10

There is attraction and then there isn't attraction. Of course grooming appropriately is important, but attraction is not solely based on looks, this is just the initial judgement. If it was I wouldn't suddenly feel attracted to a girl after she did something.
Original post by Misc Aware
this

lol @ OP rating women but getting down b/c women have standards too

OP needs to work on his looks but be realistic

no HBB is dating a 5/10 boyo unless he has £££

You sound like a cuck using so much misc lingo here.
Original post by whorace
There is no 0/10 - 6/10There is attraction and then there isn't attraction. Of course grooming appropriately is important, but attraction is not solely based on looks, this is just the initial judgement. If it was I wouldn't suddenly feel attracted to a girl after she did something.
There is no set in stone scale but there is a scale of physical attractiveness.Obviously looks and presentation aren't 100% but they are very important, particularly in an environment like a club. The 'initial judgement' is a pretty big deal, especially when you might be competing with physically attractive guys.
(edited 8 years ago)
And how do you know her type?

Leagues are a load of BS. It all comes down to the persons involved.

If you dont ask, you dont know
Reply 30

http://www.nicknotas.com/blog/8-misconceptions-of-the-alpha-male/

That article debunks his insecurity nicely.
"If you can't get yourself a ten
The least you can do is **** five twos" -
Method Man
Reply 32
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
"If you can't get yourself a ten
The least you can do is **** five twos" - Method Man

At the end of the day the 10 might be crap in bed anyway, as long as she's good enough to get off on it's not relevant.
Original post by whorace
Sensible advice, doesn't try to downplay looks but also points out other values, like self-respect, humour and just being interesting. It's nice to see someone who is deeper than 'do u even lift'.

Why do you keep repeating this 'lift'? There are handsome guys who don't go to the gym. Beautiful girls know they can get handsome guys so that's what they'll look for and get.
Original post by whorace
At the end of the day the 10 might be crap in bed anyway, as long as she's good enough to get off on it's not relevant.

But that doesn't sound as good at the end of a rap.
There is no set in stone scale but there is a scale of physical attractiveness.Obviously looks and presentation aren't 100% but they are very important, particularly in an environment like a club. The 'initial judgement' is a pretty big deal, especially when you might be competing with physically attractive guys.

DYEL?

agree on the scale
Not all girls care about looks; if your personality is good, you are automatically more attractive.
Original post by whorace

The 'alpha' thing is a bit of a joke over at bodybuilding.com.

Like there will be threads about the most 'alpha' type of toilet roll. It's just a loosely-used word nowadays.
Reply 38
Why do you keep repeating this 'lift'? There are handsome guys who don't go to the gym. Beautiful girls know they can get handsome guys so that's what they'll look for and get.

Oh i'm just mocking the misc culture on the bodybuilding forums Misc Aware promotes, he reminds me of that annoying mrsjenner, they both lack humour, intelligence and basic decency.
Original post by ellie0497
Not all girls care about looks; if your personality is good, you are automatically more attractive.

Words are cheap. Then take an ugly guy under your league instead of a handsome one who is flirting with you:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending