The Student Room Group

Ask an Oxford Uni student anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thomb
10.5% acceptance rate that's the second lowest on the list. I just wonder why that is?

Once again, it's a fairly small sample size (you could easily pick out 2011 and say that it's one of the highest on the list, the fact is that it's really hard to say if it's statistically significant based on the evidence we have and the vagueness of "Mental health". It could just be random. It might be because it has acted as an obstruction to preparation for the interview or exam. Maybe for some reason people with weaker applications are over-represented in that category.
Reply 21
Original post by Plagioclase
Once again, it's a fairly small sample size (you could easily pick out 2011 and say that it's one of the highest on the list, the fact is that it's really hard to say if it's statistically significant based on the evidence we have and the vagueness of "Mental health". It could just be random. It might be because it has acted as an obstruction to preparation for the interview or exam. Maybe for some reason people with weaker applications are over-represented in that category.

Ok I guess we'll never know why it is that intelligent people who apparently are more likely to suffer from mental illness stand less of a chance of getting in to Oxbridge?
Original post by Thomb
Ok I guess we'll never know why it is that intelligent people who apparently are more likely to suffer from mental illness stand less of a chance of getting in to Oxbridge?

Probably not. You could try putting in a FOI request, but chances are Oxford won't release the data because the small number means that there's a risk that people will be identified (especially if they have a unique/ unusual set of circumstances, which is more likely to be the case here).

As Plagioclase has said, there's any number of reasons why these people on the whole don't seem to do as well in admissions, but unless we see the actual data, it's hard to draw any conclusions.
is there any nightlife?
Original post by diana1996
Hi all! I'm really bored and was wondering if anyone has any qs about studying at Oxford/applications/interviews/requirements etc as I'd be happy to help!

How hard was your interview ?

Have you joined any societies?

Is it really 50/50 in terms of state and private schools ?
are there any labs (obviously not for law) for courses ike egeneering from what people have said get the feeling it's all theory which really is not much use without practical skills to back it up.
Reply 26
Original post by millieprime
is there any nightlife?

Yes and its not that bad. There as student club night on every night of the week but some clubs are bigger/better than others but theres a good spread

Original post by CountTesla
How hard was your interview ?

It wasnt terrible tbh but it was definitely challenging -they push you a lot (which is a good thing)

Have you joined any societies?

Im in the drama soc which is my main commitment.

Is it really 50/50 in terms of state and private schools ?

depends on the college but overall I would say that is the right statistic.

Original post by jonathanemptage
are there any labs (obviously not for law) for courses ike egeneering from what people have said get the feeling it's all theory which really is not much use without practical skills to back it up.

Im really sorry but Im not sure, I know you do have practical assessments where you have to make something etc but I dont think I know enough about this to be of much help
What's a good number of A*s if I want to read law at Oxford? Any interview tips? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im really sorry but Im not sure, I know you do have practical assessments where you have to make something etc but I dont think I know enough about this to be of much help

Don't worry about it I'm already graduate from somewhere else I was just curious.
Reply 29
Hey, I'm in L6 at the moment and law at oxford was something i've really been considering.I'd really appreciate it if you could answer some of my questions:
1) how important would you say extracurricular activities are for personal statements, ucas application and interviews?

2) do they want to see that you've done lots of reading around law and work experience etc? I haven't had any work experience especially in a law setting - do you think that will be a disadvantage for me?

3) what sort of things did you write about in your personal statement?

4) do you have any tips/advice for applying to oxford regarding the application process, interview, lnat etc
Thanks, any answers are greatly appreciated!
Original post by eema
Hey, I'm in L6 at the moment and law at oxford was something i've really been considering.I'd really appreciate it if you could answer some of my questions:
1) how important would you say extracurricular activities are for personal statements, ucas application and interviews?

2) do they want to see that you've done lots of reading around law and work experience etc? I haven't had any work experience especially in a law setting - do you think that will be a disadvantage for me?

3) what sort of things did you write about in your personal statement?

4) do you have any tips/advice for applying to oxford regarding the application process, interview, lnat etc
Thanks, any answers are greatly appreciated!

Hey, what did you get at Gcse + where else are you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all! I'm really bored and was wondering if anyone has any qs about studying at Oxford/applications/interviews/requirements etc as I'd be happy to help!

Hi what kind of things do u need to get in atm I'm in yr9 so haven't taken any GCSEs but all predicted grades are A* with a few As. What do they look for in an applicant?
Reply 32
Original post by oli19919
Hey, what did you get at Gcse + where else are you thinking of applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

11A*s and im not completely sure but im thinking UCL, warwick, manchester
Original post by chem@uni
If anyone can reply to this that would be helpful
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3979679

Please don't advertise your thread on others'
do you look good in subfusc ?

:holmes:
Reply 35
Original post by Student403
Please don't advertise your thread on others'

Why not? :angry:
Original post by Thomb
Why not? :angry:

I will slap you otherwise
Reply 37
Original post by Student403
I will slap you otherwise

oh ok keep doing it then lol. (:colondollar: me after a slap)
Reply 38

In the first year how often were you asked to do essays and what was the word count?
Reply 39
Original post by Thomb
In the first year how often were you asked to do essays and what was the word count?

we had (and still have) 3 essays every 2 weeks (aka one week we have one essay due, the next we have two.) 1500-2000 words each

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending