The Student Room Group

How many years do I have to be resident in Scotland to claim lower fees.

I was born in Scotland and have an undergrad degree from a Scottish University. I have been living in London for almost 3 years. I am moving back to Scotland in a couple of months. I want to do a postgrad (i'm thinking with the OU) and am wondering if I would be able to apply as Scottish and pay less in fees even though I have been living in England for 3 years?
Reply 1
your scottish by blood and birth so id assume you can
Original post by shawtyb

It is only residence that counts.
You have to be a resident for at least 5 years, so I've heard.
Original post by iEthan

It went up from 3 years on 24th March. I have no idea how this affects postgrad, though, so I will summon those wiser than myself.
@PQ @Klix88 @Tiger Rag
Reply 5
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It went up from 3 years on 24th March. I have no idea how this affects postgrad, though, so I will summon those wiser than myself.
@PQ @Klix88 @Tiger Rag

Unfortunately, I've not seen any detailed wording around EU students and the new postgrad loan. All I've seen so far is the statement that EU students *may* be entitled to the loan. Quite what the qualifying criteria are (or will be - it's always possible that they haven't been decided yet) I don't know.
Reply 6
Original post by shawtyb

It's not based on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Klix88
Unfortunately, I've not seen any detailed wording around EU students and the new postgrad loan. All I've seen so far is the statement that EU students *may* be entitled to the loan. Quite what the qualifying criteria are (or will be - it's always possible that they haven't been decided yet) I don't know.

OP isn't EU, as far as I know from what s/he has posted. It's all waaaay too complicated for me to think about, though!
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
OP isn't EU, as far as I know from what s/he has posted. It's all waaaay too complicated for me to think about, though!

In that case, the new five year residency requirement probably doesn't apply - I've only seen it linked to EU students.

Moving between countries in the UK, I'd honestly just phone SF and ask - or maybe post a question here in the Ask Student Finance England section. The official rep here seems much more clued up than some telephone advisors.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
In that case, the new five year residency requirement probably doesn't apply - I've only seen it linked to EU students.

Moving between countries in the UK, I'd honestly just phone SF and ask - or maybe post a question here in the Ask Student Finance section. The official rep here seems much more clued up than some telephone advisors.

I'll move the thread over there - let the professionals sort it out!:smile:
There is no minimum amount of time you need to live in Scotland, you just need to be "ordinarily resident in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year (August 1st) of the course" to qualify for SAAS grants.

Ordinarily resident has been defined in the courts as 'habitual and normal residence in one place'. It basically means that you live in a country year after year by choice through a set period, apart from temporary or occasional absences such as holidays or business trips. Living here totally or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education does not count as being ordinarily resident.

If you have been living in Scotland for a few months prior to your course starting then I think you could reasonably claim to be an ordinary resident.
Original post by iEthan

I only lived there for a year before I started studying and I was considered Scottish domiciled.

Original post by Snufkin
There is no minimum amount of time you need to live in Scotland, you just need to be "ordinarily resident in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year (August 1st) of the course" to qualify for SAAS grants.

Ordinarily resident has been defined in the courts as 'habitual and normal residence in one place'. It basically means that you live in a country year after year by choice through a set period, apart from temporary or occasional absences such as holidays or business trips. Living here totally or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education does not count as being ordinarily resident.

If you have been living in Scotland for a few months prior to your course starting then I think you could reasonably claim to be an ordinary resident.

This. Though I think you have to have lived there for a full year, or this is what SAAS told me when I contacted them. (Though that was 4 years ago.) So if you move here a year before you start your studies for a reason other than education ie job, significant other (as I did), etc, you're considered Scottish domiciled.
Original post by Precious Illusions
I only lived there for a year before I started studying and I was considered Scottish domiciled.

This. Though I think you have to have lived there for a full year, or this is what SAAS told me when I contacted them. (Though that was 4 years ago.) So if you move here a year before you start your studies for a reason other than education ie job, significant other (as I did), etc, you're considered Scottish domiciled.

This is interesting... thank you for telling me! :yep:
Original post by iEthan
This is interesting... thank you for telling me! :yep:

No worries! I was incredibly happy I'd moved to Scotland when I found out I'd be eligible for free tuition :yep:
I thought you only had to live here 2 or 3 years??
Original post by Precious Illusions
No worries! I was incredibly happy I'd moved to Scotland when I found out I'd be eligible for free tuition :yep:

I bloody bet you were :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending