The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

✱GCSE English Literature 2016 - Unit 1 and 2✱

Hey! The purpose of this thread is to be a directory for all things AQA English Lit. General discussion, revision help and the elusive predictions are all welcome.
Dates:

23rd May 2016 - Unit 1 (Exploring modern texts)

27th May 2016 - Unit 2 (Poetry across time) OR Unit 4 (We've finished! Onwards to English Language we go...)

Resources

BBC Bitesize - English Literature (For those who don't do the OMAM and AIC)

An Inspector calls - the entire play (A particularly more contemporary version was released last year but is only available through purchase)

GCSE Pod (School subscription required)

Emmark's notes (near the end of the page)

*If you find any useful resources message me and I'll put them in*

To help introduce yourself fill the form below:

What novel, play and poetry cluster are you studying?

How are you preparing for the exam - do you feel confident for it?

Do you have any predictions for certain characters/themes?

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What about "To kill a mockingbird"?
Reply 2
All My Sons?
Anyone else doing DNA by Dennis Kelly?
Anyone else doing Unit 4 instead of Unit 2?
Reply 5
Original post by surina16
Anyone else doing Unit 4 instead of Unit 2?

Ah, completely forgot to put that into the thread. Am I correct in saying Unit 4 is sat at the same time as Unit 2?
Original post by JoshuaE
Ah, completely forgot to put that into the thread. Am I correct in saying Unit 4 is sat at the same time as Unit 2?

Dw, it's always forgotten about aha. And yes :smile:
Studying Of Mice and Men, short stories and the relationships cluster
Reply 8
I'm studying Of Mice an Men and An Inspector Calls and for poetry I'm doing the relationships cluster.
I heard that it is likely that To His Coy Mistress or In Paris With You or Sister Maude will come up for poetry.

I really need predictions for OMAM and AIC. I'm not confident in all of English lit but the poetry is a little better than the novel and play and I got an A* in my coursework so it shouldn't be too bad.
Reply 9
Hi I'm doing 'Of Mice and Men' and an 'Inspector Calls' as well as the conflict poetry cluster. I've got a mock for Section A Unit 1 for AIC tomorrow, hope it goes well!!
Original post by JoshuaE

Hey! The purpose of this thread is to be a directory for all things AQA English Lit. General discussion, revision help and the elusive predictions are all welcome.
Dates:

27th May 2016 - Unit 2 (Poetry across time) OR Unit 4

Resources

An Inspector calls - the entire play (A particularly more contemporary version was released last year but is only available through purchase)

I'm studying 'An Inspector Calls' and 'Of Mice and Men'. I'm studying the 'relationship cluster'.

What's a good way to remember the information about the poetry clusters.
Reply 11
I'm doing inspector calls,to kill a mockingbird abd the conflict poetry cluster.Not really feeling confident in any of it:frown:.im not sure whats going to come up as anything is possibe but for inspector calls,i dont think they are going to ask about Mrs Birling or Gerald but any of the other characters could come up so im just going to revise everything (if possibe).For the poetryand for to kill a mockingbird,i havent got a clue
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Anyone else doing DNA by Dennis Kelly?

yh I am and also doing Purple Hibiscus
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone, I'm studying the novel Purple Hibiscus, the play DNA and also doing relationship poems. Yh I feel confident for the exam basically I've read the books twice now and learnt quotes by putting them on post it notes around my room then I get my sister to test me like what page its on etc....I've familiarised my self on the books and just analysed important stuff and looked at themes etc. I'm naturally good at English lit and have been getting high A's but now I need some tips on how to get A*.

For Purple Hibiscus I have a feeling its going to be on the theme of violence even though they have done that before or myb on silence. My teacher thinks poetry will be on the sonnets because most people don't like them and go over them. Everyone is using Mr Bruff so we need to be imaginative in our poetry responses to get good grades tbhh
Novel: Of Mice and Men
Play: Kindertransport
Poetry cluster: Relationships

To Kill a Mockingbird, The Crucible and Relationships

Erm...I haven't really started revising yet so I don't feel that confident >_< When I get to it I'll go through the texts and type up notes, make quotation banks for characters, practise loads and loads of poem comparisons and write a bunch of practise essays

Apparently Elizabeth Proctor hasn't come up for ages for The Crucible, and neither have Sister Maude or In Paris With You for the poems

Original post by Lawliet-L
Novel: Of Mice and Men
Play: Kindertransport
Poetry cluster: Relationships

i am also studying kindertransport, of mice and men and relationships how are you revising for it? ESPECIALLY KINDERTRANSPORT!
Original post by aljaf003.307
i am also studying kindertransport, of mice and men and relationships how are you revising for it? ESPECIALLY KINDERTRANSPORT!

Someone else also studying Kindertransport! :smile: I hate English Lit with a passion so I haven't started revising for it properly. We've just read the play pretty much. I actually don't how to revise for it. :biggrin:
Original post by JoshuaE

Dates:

27th May 2016 - Unit 2 (Poetry across time) OR Unit 4

Resources

I also reccomend Mr Salles, really good for hitting the A*

Of mice and men, AIC and relationship poetry
Haven't done much revision for it, just started making notes
Of mice and men- possibly carlson/whit but it would be a hard one
AIC- Gerald/sheila and responsibility possibly
relationships-no idea, but i thank god that farmers bride was last year. I actually
hate that poem so much, that's probably the only poem I will neglect
For 'Of Mice and Men' maybe the American dream will come up as we're the last year studying this book, why Carlson shot candy's dog or something to do with slim
For An Inspector Calls I think it will be how Sheila and Eric change as the play progresses or something along those lines
For the Relationships cluster I think it will be 'in paris with you' or 'to his coy mistress'

Quick Reply

Latest