The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Want to change course

So I have an offer for MSci Theoretical Physics at UCL (that I've firmed) but I noticed it doesn't really lead to a direct career and am not exactly looking towards teaching. I'm thinking of switching to Medical Physics or an engineering discipline. There are not part of the physics department.

Is this possible? Can I switch now or before I get to uni or is it not possible. Can I switch once I've started?

I would be happy studying the same course I applied for but I'm worried about my future.
Original post by TheSammy2010
So I have an offer for MSci Theoretical Physics at UCL (that I've firmed) but I noticed it doesn't really lead to a direct career and am not exactly looking towards teaching. I'm thinking of switching to Medical Physics or an engineering discipline. There are not part of the physics department.

Is this possible? Can I switch now or before I get to uni or is it not possible. Can I switch once I've started?

I would be happy studying the same course I applied for but I'm worried about my future.

Ask them now as it will be harder to switch once you get there.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Contact them now, but as long as you meet the requirements for the other course and it isn't full, switching won't be a problem. I know of someone that switched from comp sci to economics, so even large changes are possible. But best to discuss it ASAP
Original post by TVIO
Contact them now, but as long as you meet the requirements for the other course and it isn't full, switching won't be a problem. I know of someone that switched from comp sci to economics, so even large changes are possible. But best to discuss it ASAP

Thanks!
Original post by TVIO

Who do I contact exactly? My original department or the new one?
Reply 5
Who do I contact exactly? My original department or the new one?

The new dept. is the important one, I wouldn't expect your old dept. to not allow transferring over if you're not happy. Though no harm in dropping them an email as well.
Original post by TVIO
The new dept. is the important one, I wouldn't expect your old dept. to not allow transferring over if you're not happy. Though no harm in dropping them an email as well.

Thanks again :smile: !
Some might say that not having a direct career path in physics is no bad thing at 18 or so.

Anyway, from UCL website, I would copy them into any email you send or send them a general request initially , but I would also try to firm up which degree that you want to switch to before you start talking to the subject admissions tutors directly (modules covered etc) although the Medical/Engineering intake seems the same so maybe they wouldn't be so bothered prior to the course start, and looking at the grades there is a fair cross over so there shouldn't be a huge issue
Undergraduate Admissions Manager: Sarah West Undergraduate Admissions leads onpolicy, strategy development and implementation of all matters relating to theadmission of undergraduate students. The section is responsible for the processing ofundergraduate applications received from UCAS for the faculties of Arts &Humanities, Social and Historical Sciences, Mathematical and Physical Sciencesand Medical Sciences. In addition, the section provides support, advice andguidance to all other faculties on matters regarding undergraduate admissions.Contact details
Email: [email protected]
Reply 8
Why do you want to switch course to discos physics or engineering?
Original post by Trapz99
Why do you want to switch course to discos physics or engineering?

So I can get a job after a graduate. I know I can get a job with physics but I feel I would end up in those fields in the future so might as well be qualified then.

Btw, 70% of grad jobs don't require a specific degree subject. For the ones that do, typically any STEM degree suffices. You have plenty of options with theoretical physics dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Btw, 70% of grad jobs don't require a specific degree subject. For the ones that do, typically any STEM degree suffices. You have plenty of options with theoretical physics dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wellllll, it's too late because I emailed them and this morning the department I applied for said they would be happy with the change of course. Still, I think it's a good decision now than later.
Reply 12
Do you guys think it's worth trying the same thing to change from Natural Sciences to Economics?
Original post by DBogdan
Do you guys think it's worth trying the same thing to change from Natural Sciences to Economics?

That's quite a big jump of subject, if your grades are good, I reckon you have a good chance, they'll ask you why tho.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending